1 mill and 1 refinery ?…

Home Forums General Discussion 1 mill and 1 refinery ?…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Javis
    Participant

I’m running a small map which has only 1 steel mill and 5 refineries.

I have read here that you’d better not run more than 1 of the same mills and only 1 refinery. Otherwise they’ll start competing making the others more or less useless. With only 1 steel mill available that’s a nobrainer of course but with 5 refineries to choose from that’s another story.

So is it really true ? Use only 1 refinery ?   ( and ship to as many cities as possible )

To me it seems hardly doable to provide most of the cities either by rail or road, even if i choose a refinery somewhere in the middle of the map.

What say you guys ?….

Thanks!

Mordeth65
    Participant

There is no doubt that early game you can run one factory out to all 7 cities on a small map.  Central location is preferred for this.   No trains needed, you can run horse’s and make it work.    Just have a good road network.

It is counter productive to have 2 oil wells feed one refinery.   However, there are no issues running 3 oil wells to 3 refineries.   Not sure where you heard it was a bad idea to run more then one of the same type of factory.  But let me assure you, it is false.

My current game I got real real lucky, I have an oil refinery up north, middle and south.   I ran the one in the middle until it reached 380 production.   Running to all 7 cities, then opened a new one for 2 north cities.   When the 1st one reached 350 goods used, I opened the one in the south.

All 3 factories are running great, my cities are having insane growth at the moment.  🙂

Tossi
    Participant

I think you Javis misunderstood something. To clear things:

If you connect multiple goods producers to one city they will compete.

If you connect multiple goods producers each to different city that will work fine.

And similiarly if you connect many wells to one refinery those wells will compete and hurt each other.

But you can connect many wells each to different refinery and that will work fine.

Of course every time the production chain must be complete: resource extractor -> goods producer -> city

Javis
    Participant

Ok! Thanks guys !

” There is no doubt that early game you can run one factory out to all 7 cities on a small map.  Central location is preferred for this.   No trains needed, you can run horse’s and make it work.    Just have a good road network. “

Check, but the game is called “Train Fever” not “Horse & Wagon Fever” ..  😉

Yes, i run horse and wagons and it works fine indeed. Just seems a bit silly to me to have all these poor horses running about day and night while you can have a train do the job all at once. Laying roads is easier than laying track though, certainly over long distance.

“It is counter productive to have 2 oil wells feed one refinery.   However, there are no issues running 3 oil wells to 3 refineries.   Not sure where you heard it was a bad idea to run more then one of the same type of factory.  But let me assure you, it is false. “

Tossi explained, indeed i must’ve misunderstood what was said. All clear now. The thing is that i do have 3 refineries delivering goods to 3 cities. Seemed to work well (pun intended) but since i upgraded one with a 4 track freight station and seperate delivery of oil to the refinery and goods to the cities ( combined before) the refinery now produces not even half of what it did before the upgrade. ( i know it will take a while but still… )

“My current game I got real real lucky, I have an oil refinery up north, middle and south.   I ran the one in the middle until it reached 380 production.   Running to all 7 cities, then opened a new one for 2 north cities.   When the 1st one reached 350 goods used, I opened the one in the south.”

Wow!! I was already happy with 180 of the oil ref i upgraded. Now it’s only doing 61…. The other 2 do 80 and 59..  I know, i have to ship to more cities…

“All 3 factories are running great, my cities are having insane growth at the moment.  🙂 “

That’s another thing i haven’t really got the grip on yet… Next to getting transport organised for a city to grow, adding roads should help too, right ? I do see small buildings appear at some of the roads i’ve added but only just and that seems about it…. Nothing much more seems to happen…

I do have something good going on with my current map but it’s this upgraded oil refinery that’s costing me millions at the moment… I should’ve left it alone i guess…  😉

Thanks for your explanation !

Javis
    Participant

Tossi wrote : I think you Javis misunderstood something. To clear things:

Thanks Tossi ! Must’ve misunderstood indeed. All clear now !

Mordeth65
    Participant

Yes it is Train Fever, but the developers have left out the fever inside the game.   At any rate, I enjoy making a nice road network over the train aspect of this game.   That being said, several people do the same thing I do with trains, so either works.

As to the laying of roads to grow your cities, not needed at all.   If you have a half way decent intercity network and you deliver the goods,  the cities will grow.       The only city I redo roads are is for my hub City.    That city I rebuild quite a bit, I like a N-S E-W main roads right thru the center.   I also have a large road that rings it.     Then I draw 6 roads out from that ring to all the cities on the map.

1 road to each city, with 0 overlap.

Javis
    Participant

Mordeth,

“I like a N-S E-W main roads right thru the center.   I also have a large road that rings it.     Then I draw 6 roads out from that ring to all the cities on the map. “

What about the uncontrolable AI traffic ? Wouldn’t this create enormous traffic jams or, on the contrary, perhaps help to solve them ?  ( i noticed if you just click a piece of road to upgrade it, even if it’s already been upgraded, the traffic jam is gone instantly, but not for long… )

Just been rewarded for reaching 400 productivity, proud of that. 😉  Steel mill delivering to all 7 cities either by rail and road. The 3 oil refs i have running is another matter. I just had to close down one that was served and handed out goods via rail. Costing a constant 1.5M. Also closed down a rail line between 3 cities that cost 3.5M in the end while it was running great in the beginning.

After removing the rail line i setup bus lines to the same cities. Makes me sad to see people crowding up at the bus stations to get to these cities which they didn’t care about anymore when only trains would take them there… What is wrong with these people ???… What is wrong with trains ???…… Why in heavensname do they prefer jumping around on a bus hopping and bopping over a long winding country road while they can sit in a comfortable chair on a comfortable train, smoothly running at 180 km p/h, while enjoying hot or cold beverages, and possibly even cheaper too…  Search me, i don’t know.  Train Fever ??……  😉

And thanks for explaining about laying of roads in respect of city growth. Noted.  😉

Mordeth65
    Participant

Traffic AI is horrid in this game, no 2 ways about that.   However, 1930 you can upgrade roads with bus lanes, trams and bus’s use it.   This pretty much solves any issue you should have with traffic. Though upgrading to that sucks the big one!!   Very easy to miss just a little chunk of road.    I also place a tram and bus station next to each other at every major stop.

Why would you not have an upgrade the whole network button?   This is 2014 not 1989!!

ma2412
    Participant

it would be nice, if in the future, there will be a slider, where you can set the amount of indutry when gereratin a new map

Javis
    Participant

” However, 1930 you can upgrade roads with bus lanes, trams and bus’s use it.   This pretty much solves any issue you should have with traffic. Though upgrading to that sucks the big one!!   Very easy to miss just a little chunk of road.”

Yes, them buslanes are great. Don’t have much of a problem with upgrading myself but it would be nice if long winding country roads could be upgraded by one click, like how cantenary upgrade works. 

I just started a new map taking into account everything i’ve learned from you guys overhere. Looks like i’m finally getting the hang of it and know what to do and what not to do. Thanks again for all valuable information !  🙂

Cheers,

Jan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.