64bit Support

Home Forums General Discussion 64bit Support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    stmprn35
    Participant

Is the game 64bit or only 32bit?

speedcoaster
    Participant

The BETA is 32 Bit only atm. As far as I know a 64 Bit version should be planned for the release.

Mansen
    Participant

64bit is a bit of a buzzword. It doesn’t magically make games faster.

stmprn35
    Participant

Thans speedcoaster for reply.

Theres no reason to mess up 64bit system with all the 32bit dependencies either:P And some systems, unlike Windows, are not stuck with 32bit. And since all the hardware in last 8years is 64bit,  theres no point in being stuck at 32bits. Magically nothing happens, but the game can benefit from being 64b.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by stmprn35.
    Mansen
    Participant

Windows isn’t stuck with 32bit at all – And there are as many downsides as upsides. Only need 32bit registers? Well that’s just too bad – Your processor is still going to process another 32bit every time for no reason.

Sure there can be a lot of benefits, but it isn’t a no brainer to just blindly do everything in 64bit. 🙂

Xanos
    Participant

The real advantage of 64 bit is not speed, it’s memory!

For simulation games 64 bit is much much much more  than just a buzzword. Ever tried to handle large maps with ohne 32 bit memory addresses? I doubt it.

For Train Fever, large maps are completely unuseable without a 64 bit game exe.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Xanos.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Xanos.
    Azrael
    Participant

I guess, it will come, 64 bit is the future after all, someday 128bit will come, you don’t want to stick around with 32bit Games, OSs’ and so on by then 😛

jm764
    Participant

Wow… the dev’s just released the 64-bit version of the beta TODAY!!! O_O

Totally making a vid of it today after class! XD

Mansen
    Participant

@Xanos: You mean like we all have been doing for the entirety of the beta?

As JM points out, we’ve only just received 64bit support today, and I have not noticed any change in performance on my large map games. Sure you can go further with 64bit – But it’s a waste for as long as you don’t actually need it. It wastes resources.

douglas
    Participant

I also see no performance improvement in the new 64bit version.

Yemo
    Participant

The main advantage of 64bit is the removal of the memory cap.

Which is one of the key issues for graphics modding.

Just take a look at Kerbal Space Program…

Leetnor
    Participant

The benefits of a 64-bit version is most apparent when you have a large amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) installed on your computer, typically 4 GB of RAM or more. Since a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit OS, a 64-bit system in such cases respond faster when running multiple applications simultaneously and switch between them regularly. Making the game smooooooooooooother as it grows into a large hub 🙂

Mansen
    Participant

It really doesn’t though (yet anyway) – I have noticed zero difference on my machine. 🙂

Leetnor
    Participant

Is it even possible to buy Windows 8.1 with 32 bit anymore?

douglas
    Participant

The game is not even using 4Gb so I see no point in putting more ram memory.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by douglas.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.