A few questions, confused.

Home Forums General Discussion A few questions, confused.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NyetComrade
    Participant

I’m still confused by the “frequency” present in the Manage Lines window. Is this from stop to stop, or the amount of time from start to finish and back to the first stop, or the amount of time from first to last only?

The other thing, which I think I’ve figured out (but I’m not terribly certain of), I’m wondering how the 20 minute rule is applied. Is it from the time the goods are created until they reach their final destination, or is it measured between each destination?

Example:

15 minutes by truck to train station, another 10 to the next town – seems to not work.

However, when the frequency of trucks dropping goods off is 80 seconds, and the frequency of my rail line delivering goods to 2 other cities is about 5-6 minutes, the last town in the line is not receiving goods. This prompts my first question.

At first I tried making a circular line that visited 5 cities total. The first of which was the one dispersing the goods (delivered to the station by the trucks at 80 second intervals). It had 2 trains starting with a capacity of 39 goods each. The frequency on this line was about 15 minutes. The industry would only supply goods to the first and second towns on the line, and only half heartedly at that. I then tried the same thing but with over 100 capacity for goods, thinking the game had the foresight to see that it wouldn’t be able to provide for all the towns in a timely manner due to the lack of capacity. I let it run overnight at 3x speed (disabled aging vehicles) to see if industry would ramp up to feed the towns. Obviously, I accumulated massive debt and the industry never did care about the next 2 towns in the line and continued to barely care about the second town in line.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by NyetComrade.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by NyetComrade.
    pantner
    Participant

TBH i’m not sure about the first question.

I think the frequency is an average of the gap between each vehicle reaching the ‘stop’…if that makes sense…

The second question, the 20min limit is total time from start to finish, not just between stops. If it takes more than 20minutes to get anything anywhere, it won’t go. This goes for passengers, raw materials and goods.

If you want to service more than one town/city I would have a multi-platform station at the source, each for a destination. Then take each line out to the city and add extra trains, making it a double line. The further away the city is the more trains you’d need to bring the frequency down.

Everything is based on the demand for it and how quickly and how often you can move the stuff.

NyetComrade
    Participant

It makes sense that the frequency could be time between each stop. My total circuit could be well over 20 minutes alone, nevermind the fact that they could be sitting at the station for 5 minutes waiting for the next train to pick them up plus the ~80 second travel from the steel mill to the truck stop (adjacent to the freight station) and another 10 or so seconds to do their floaty walk across the road to the station.

I feel like frequency would be more valuable information if it measured the time from the pick up point to the last drop off point in the line.

Better yet, a sort of ingame tool that showed how long it would take goods to reach point B from point A (via available lines) would be amazing, rather than doing it by trial and error and wasting a ton of time and cash in the process.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by NyetComrade.
    Person012345
    Participant

No, not the time between each stop, the time between one vehicle arriving at the stop and the next vehicle arriving at the same stop. If you have 100 vehicles on a route, the frequency will be extremely high regardless of how long it is or how far away the stops are from each other. If you have 1 vehicle on the route, the frequency should be about equal to the time required for an entire circuit.

imajor
    Participant

So what is the relationship between the frequency and the 20 minute limit? I guess that it is adding half of the frequency to the predicted time (because that is the average time the cargo has to wait until it is picked up?)

So for example if I have a train which is transporting stuff from A to B, and that takes 13 mins, and the frequency of that line is 10 mins, then that means that the predicted travel time will be 13+(10/2)=18? So 13 min traveling, and an average of 5 min until the stuff is picked up by the train?

nickos111
    Participant

Frequency is the total amount of minutes to complete 1 line for a single bus/tram/train devided by the number of busses/trams/trains on that line.

Im pretty sure frequency is an average of that.

If this is true then a better way of explaining frequency is to say that its the average waiting time for stuff or passengers to wait for their train to arrive. This means that this does not include travel time, or time to get to the train/tram/bus station/stop.

Build a line with just 1 bus. Look at the frequency. Then build another bus right after it. Ull see that the frequency has halved, altho the busses are driving right behind eachother.

I hope you understand this haha. This is what i figured out, I could be wrong. But in that case, i have no idea what im doing, but i must be doing something right then.

imajor
    Participant

If this is true then a better way of explaining frequency is to say that its the average waiting time for stuff or passengers to wait for their train to arrive.

The average waiting time must be the half of the frequency. If something just missed the train, then it has to wait time equal to the frequency, but it something got into the station just before the train arrives, it has to wait almost zero time.

nickos111
    Participant

Yes but i dont think the game calculates waiting time like that.

imajor
    Participant

To be honest this 20 minute rule worries me somewhat. In previous transport games I enjoyed it when I had to transfer goods to big distances with big long trains. Does it mean we will never be able to transfer goods to high distances? Not usre if the speed of the modern engines is enough to do these distances in less than 20 minute. Maybe if you make a direct connection between the source and the target, but the best would be if you could just use the existing complex rail network to transfer the stuff. Maybe if the limit wouldn’t be fix, but depend on the distance?

Varana
    Participant

I agree. For passengers, the system works quite well. For goods, it has side-effects that arguably make it broken. Freight trains should be slow and big. Currently, slow doesn’t work because you have to stay below 20 minutes; big doesn’t work (at least half of the game) because the cities don’t accept enough goods to warrant long trains. In any way, you’re often better off with running several high-speed freight trains, instead of one slow-moving large train. This needs a serious overhaul.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.