A month and a half of silence.

Home Forums General Discussion A month and a half of silence.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Leszek
    Participant

March 25th is the last update on the main page.  We are now well into may and no new information has come.  This is the longest gap since October 2013.

This isn’t necessarily bad, you guys could be working diligently on an awesome update.  On the other hand you guys might no longer be existent.  The last post leaves us with a progress report and loose ends.  Lack of information leaves us to our imaginations and people have a bias towards bad news when it comes to their imaginations.

Some news would be greatly appreciated.

isidoro
    Participant

Well, people used to complain here when there were a bunch of updates frequently…  As I pointed out then, this opposite situation is much worse, isn’t it?  A logical outcome after that much criticism.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

The ominous silence from Urban Games is worrying.  Are you still there?

peycke
    Participant

I have send them several mails concerning lack of communication and technical support. They do work on a patch on loading problems several users have. Good news is that they will hire a communication manager and they do admit that their communication with the community has to improve. So we should all give them some more credit before we give up.

Martin Mulder
    Participant

@isidoro: People were not complaining about frequent updates. They were complaining about frequent patches and bug fixes.

People would love frequent updates (lets say: every three weeks) with new features and nice additions. People hate it when they are very buggy and are in need of much more “updates”.

Azrael
    Participant

@peycke

I can confirm this too, on Facebook, though in German, they said that they’ll release a new performance and bugfixing patch soon and that double track switches are high on their priority list:

https://www.facebook.com/TrainFeverGame/posts/1607587879494932

electricmonk2k
    Participant

According to their post in this thread, which post-dates the release of the last patch, they refer to “the next patch”, which implies they’re working on another patch (or at least started working on one).

As much as I’d like to see new features in TF (and removal of some annoyances), from reading the forums there are many people who cannot even get the game to start, so if I were Urban Games, I’d be giving those bugs a higher priority than anything else.

Personally, I think that if an update isn’t likely to be ready by some deadline, the deadline should be pushed back rather than the development rushed. An example of this was when the USA DLC was released (at the last possible moment of the “by the end of February” deadline) and the user-interface on the mod-selection screen had some problems if a large number of mods were installed (although to be fair, Urban Games did release a patch fixing this within a few days).

Also, I think that as well as hiring a communication manager, they need to hire more programmers and adopt some programming-practices suitable for modern post-release game development, such as having two code-streams to enable rapid bug-fixes without disrupting the development of new features too much (I can tell that this probably wasn’t the case because in the beginning of February, there was a bug that causes some savegames to not load, and nearly one month later, a patch came out (that included what was needed for the USA DLC to work), which was the first patch since that bug reared it’s ugly head).

isidoro
    Participant

@Martin Mulder: my point is that what is best, bug fixing or silence?  If there are errors and those are corrected, this is nice, isn’t it?  Of course that free additions are most welcome, nonetheless…

RAAndre
    Participant

It’s the lags that are killing me.  The game becomes unplayable.  I hope they are seriously working on that.

Traian Trante
    Participant

raandre, teh lags are manageable with a couple of mods. Also, another good thing is not upgrading your cities to their full potential and just not connecting some cities at all. if i play like that the game is totally playable for me.

I know that we shouldn’t  do that, but at least there is the option to do that.

And when i red about the double track switches i felt like cheering :D:D:D:D:D:D i just hope it’s true and they’re coming !

Lowell
    Participant

For me the lag trouble starts when the cities start to spawn loads of cars. Also using lots of trucks on a map will make the problem worse.

electricmonk2k
    Participant

raandre, teh lags are manageable with a couple of mods.

Could you tell us which mods these are? I’d consider using them the next time I start a game.

And when i red about the double track switches i felt like cheering :D :D:D:D:D:D i just hope it’s true and they’re coming !

Where did you read that? Do you have a link? What else is in the pipeline?

vinkandoi
    Participant
    Leszek
    Participant

And when i red about the double track switches i felt like cheering :D :D :D:D:D:D i just hope it’s true and they’re coming !

Where did you read that? Do you have a link? What else is in the pipeline?

I read that too, it was in a Tweet I think, and it was in German, I used the translate function to read it.  It didn’t say all that much and there is in general a lack of information.

It has been now 6 days since my original post and we still don’t have anything official from the devs on the site that I can see.  Since my original post I have found some stuff in German as I already mentioned above but translating German tweets in an effort to divine some news is for the birds.  Something official here on the forums or a progress report on the main page would be nice.  It doesn’t have to be extensive.  Just a hello, we haven’t forgot about you, no we aren’t all dead in a bus/train/plane/computer crash would suffice.

LB
    Participant

no we aren’t all dead in a computer crash

Classic! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.