Adding cars to an existing train?

Home Forums General Discussion Adding cars to an existing train?

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LuckyStarr
    Participant

Is that possible? Seems a waste of both money and time to sell the whole train just to create a new one with 2 more cars.

jorgenRe
    Participant

Oh no there is no need to sell your whole train to add more wagons

To add more wagons what you have to do is click on the set train then click line and then click go to depot, just make sure there is a depot very close to it.

THen click buy trains and the wagons you buy should end up on the back of your train. But if the wagon ends up under or over the train (in the interface) all you have to do is click the arrow buttons to move it up or down.

jorgenRe
    Participant

Oh no there is no need to sell your whole train to add more wagons

To add more wagons what you have to do is click on the set train then click line and then click go to depot, just make sure there is a depot very close to it.

THen click buy trains and the wagons you buy should end up on the back of your train. But if the wagon ends up under or over the train (in the interface) all you have to do is click the arrow buttons to move it up or down.

LuckyStarr
    Participant

Oh, neat! Thanks! Not very intuitive, though.

Nivve
    Participant

It is almost identical to how it worked in OpenTTD. So they probably went with the function most players knew from there.
    So it may be unintuitive, but for most it feels natural due to experience:P

Mansen
    Participant

Keep one thing in mind – The oldest wagon (or engine) on a train decides how old the entire vehicle is. Always sell your old wagons when you’re placing an old engine. Otherwise it’s going to run you into debt like nothing else 🙂

mackintosh
    Participant

Also be mindful of the fact that sending a train to the depot affects frequency, as the train is then removed from the line. Might not seriously affect passenger traffic if you have other trains running, but if you happen to be hauling freight and this is your only train, it will have an immediate effect on production output.

LuckyStarr
    Participant

Thanks! I’m just starting out with the game so these nuances were not familiar to me (especially the age thing).

Stonelouse
    Participant

hi mansen,

are you sure that the oldest vehicle sets the age of the whole train?

if you had a brand new locomotive at 0% and the oldest wagon would be a cheap open wagon at 50 years old and you would then have to pay 50% on top of the new locomotive’s maintainence that would be ridiculous?!

Mansen
    Participant

That’s how I remember it from beta, yes – I haven’t done a test to see if it’s still a thing though since I swap out wagons automatically now. I’ll see if I can remind myself to try it out next time I find an oooold train.

As for the frequency – The “no train on line” penalty has been toned down since beta. Back then even a few seconds of sitting in the depot would crash the industry and cause downgrades. Additionally when you send trains to the depo, the cargo is lost. (There’s one other thing that does this but I can’t remember which for the life of me – I’d have to re-watch last night’s stream)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Mansen.
    mackintosh
    Participant

Man, if this is toned down, I can’t even begin to imagine how bad it was during the beta.

grimdanfango
    Participant

Mansen – I’ve checked this, and the oldest wagon does not appear to set the age of the entire train for the purposes of maintenance cost… it will correctly total up the individual costs of each train and wagon, and add them together in the vehicle summary.  There’s just no way of *seeing* the individual ages/costs.

What it will do is “report” the age of a train as equal to the oldest wagon or engine, which is also tad unhelpful, as you can mistakenly end up replacing an entire train, when there’s only one offending wagon causing it to report that age, and the actual aggregate maintenance cost of the train is actually quite low.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.