Almost every beta video is the same

Home Forums General Discussion Almost every beta video is the same

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Morat
    Participant

A few towns along a river connected by a line. Video after video the same or very similar. Does every map end up this way, or are other beta players seeing more variety?

Stonelouse
    Participant

the problem is that pretty much everyone who does these videos has just started a new game so their networks are pretty limited. they also happen to build isolated lines instead of proper rail networks and they have a habit of building way too many bus and truck lines for a game thats called train fever…

if those people were more interested in real life train operations i think their videos would be more interesting.

there is a guy on twitch streaming gameplay without comments who builds massive networks, you can rewatch those streams here: http://www.twitch.tv/zuerihb/profile/past_broadcasts

sadly those saved videos of past streams on twitch are seriously lagging for me.

Morat
    Participant

Aha, that’s more like it. The layout at 1:49 :30 in the 8 and a half hour video gets me very excited for this game. The vids are lagging though, which is a shame.

I see a two-loco goods train at 1:59.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Morat.
    Mansen
    Participant

I wouldn’t call it a habit as much as a necessity – Depending on map generation setup (Flat, Hilly or Mountains) and luck, you may very well be forced to do a lot of Horsewagon routes as far as Industry goes early on just to stimulate the economy.

The early trains are very slow, which prevents you from making longer lines.

Passengers and Goods will only travel so far and for so long before refusing your services outright – Especially if there’s a road that lets them go by themselves instead of taking a snaky railroad that takes four times as long to get there.

Incidentally the rivers are always at “sea level”, making them obvious targets for your first couple of train lines for passengers. Putting down a bus line of horse wagons to supply the stations is just common sense.

Once you’ve made some initial investments that have a good return of profit, you can start experimenting with a bit of hill climb – and once the faster trains arrive, longer and more snaky lines.

Stonelouse
    Participant

i can only speculate because i can’t play, but i think it would be useful especially in the beginning if people focused on an area and built their lines so that trains can share tracks and all lines complement each other.

in a lot of videos i see lines scattered throughout the maps and people jumping all around the map connecting some industry here and then some there and then a passenger line somewhere else. in that case trucks and busses are obviously better.

maybe if you’re doing it more like the real early railroads, connecting a few cities along one line and the adjacent industries it would work better because it reduces building costs. also having one line to serve cities A-B-C-D is much better than to run three lines running from A-B, B-C and C-D, because the latter introduces long waiting times when people have to change trains. yet most people actually build their lines to the latter principle because they introduce a new line whenever they extend their network.

Mansen
    Participant

Like I said – People are only willing to travel a certain amount of minutes. You can’t connect two cities at the opposite ends of the map if the total trip takes more than… I think it is 20 minutes? So you’re forced to either make it a multi-line stretch, or wait for faster trains. (Feel free to correct me)

This time limit is the same reason why people tend to spread their networks early on – While you could definitely keep stacking on more and more trucks/trains on the same Oil Field > Refinery line, you have to be able to ship the goods produced from that amount of production as well, or the Refinery simply cuts down on production (and the Oil Field as well as a result, since nobody will accept the goods down the production line)

Cities are too small to accept huge amounts of goods early on – And cities are often too far away that you can ship to more than two or maybe three cities right away. You might as well spread wide instead of high until those cities you are shipping to grow to a size where they can accept the goods, and allow your industry to grow.

hert
    Participant

If  you ever played OpenTTD its the same way. Your not going to have a complex network when you first start out, which the majority of videos are doing. Also your going to have a bunch of separate lines that later on you start connecting and reworking into a cohesive network.

Tossi
    Participant

Btw in his over 8 hours video I can see him building at no cost at 33 minutes into it. Bug? Cheat? Feature?

nPulse
    Participant

His performance is very slow indeed.. Will the performance decrease that bad when you have so much going on?

Morat
    Participant

@nPulse I think that’s the video stuttering rather than the game itself. At least I hope it is.

plnrmatt
    Participant

Has anyone seen any videos of large cities? I haven’t seen any with skyscrapers yet

jm764
    Participant

@plnrmatt

Skyscrapers are nearly impossible to make in the game at the moment due to their high resource/passenger requirement. I didn’t event get my first untill 2030 from a save started in 1900… Granted that was in a older version of the beta, but I’ll try to how some off in my videos if I can.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.