Any interests in building roads?

Home Forums General Discussion Any interests in building roads?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    pakson
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I play my first Train Fever game (around year 1930, easy mode, small map, flat) and I have questions regarding roads that I can’t answer by myself. I have tried on THE INTERNET but without success, maybe you can 😉

– Is there any interest in upgrading roads from towns to other towns? Maybe cities grow faster?

– I only use tram and no buses, should I upgrade city streets?

– I saw that to ensure a factory to deliver goods to the city I want (actually not the closest one), I can destroy road access and it seems to work perfectly. This way the goods are not transported by road but use my cargo line. Any thoughts about this mechanism?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pakson.
    Mordeth65
    Participant

Each road has a speed limit.  So, use your best judgement as to which ones to upgrade.   I have no proof it effects your population growth.

Just deleting roads to resources and factories is not enough for me.  I also have to make a new longer broken path, roads seem to grow back.    But if you make a long broken path, it works.   That is one of the 1st things I do, rearrange the roads to my liking.

mineral
    Participant

From how the game works, upgrading roads between cities wouldnt be a good idea, since a better road travel time would mean less passengers on your trains. i m not all too sure about this though. one time i tried to remove a road between two cities in order to see the effect it would have on my trains. it didnt seem to have an effect at all though. (which would be good in a way, since it s kind of an exploit)

to answer your question though: in situations where a road upgrade means travelling from town A to B is reduced to less than 20 minutes, i guess yes. the question is, how game defines where people go to work/for leisure and whether people from town a will be more likely to work/live in town b given a better infrastructure.

your second question: i d recommend upgrading your streets with tramtracks. traffic will substantially increase during the game

your third question: i destroyed a road to a city once in order to get goods frmo production site a to my train station b. yet production pretty much stopped completely. not too sure why though

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by mineral.
    bencze
    Participant

The road destroying to prevent materials moving worked for me. At least for one test I had a piece of road destroyed for about 50 years and no one built it back. It was a side road from a raw mat mine, though.

Azrael
    Participant

In Theory, destroying the roads between the cities should bolster the number of train passangers, since they can’t travel by car to the neighbour cities, but it’s in an unrealistic exploit and removes the challenge.

Rysi
    Participant

Hi,

1) Improving the roads could make the cities grow faster, but rather later in the game when there are enough people using their own cars for traveling (not before 1950). Much better is to use your improved roads for your bus lines between the cities. I am now playing on hard difficulty and these lines are making huge profits (0,5 – 1M/year each!). Do not just improve the old and crooked unpaved roads by replacing them with the ‘upgrade the road’ tool, delete them and rebuild them with better ones with less curves and not so steep slopes.

2) Upgrading the city streets is needed later in the game, when your trams get stuck because of the traffic. I am now not sure, if there are also some speed limits for the trams because of old and unupgraded streets…

3) Destroying the road will prevent the factory from sending the goods to the neighbouring town. I have never seen the game to rebuild any roads I destroyed. But, actually, this is counterproductive. If there are two towns in that region (one with your cargo line and one accesible without your help, each with demand for let’s say 40 pieces of goods), the potential of production for the factory is 80. If you destroy the road, you reduce that potential to 40, so the factory won’t ever produce so much and won’t also demand so much resources from the mine/forrest/oil wells. And you also have the resource line, right? So my suggestion is let the road be and just wait until the factory and the mine/forrset/oil wells increase their production enough. So or so you can never deliver more goods to the city than its demanded amount.

Azrael
    Participant

To answer question 2:

Yes there are speed limits, on the dirt roads outside the cities vehicles can go maximum 40 km/h
    In the cities, there are limits because of curves and the type of road. Vehicles can drive only slowly over the old city roads from the 19th century.
    But as then and in the 20th/21st Century, the modern roads, they have also limitations because of the size of the road.
    So you can only achieve maximum speed with a vehicle on a straight, big 4-lane road with enough free space and no stops in front of the vehicle.
    Thats why I don’t use the fastest vehicles in some cities, because they can never achieve their maximum speed and thus produce unnecessary maintenance costs.

pakson
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers! It looks clearer now.

Just a remark, I guess players of train fever are quite interested in city builders. I just find it sad to have a fully optimized high-speed train network and dirt roads between cities at the same time 😉

Yeol
    Participant

When (if) the traffic bug has been fixed, we can build more realistic roads, and have a fair competition between public and private transport. Until then, we need to resort to more or less cheesy practices (read exploids) to discourage private transport. By using dirt roads, you’re rather nice. Some people delete inter-city roads all together! 😉

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Yeol.
    bencze
    Participant

Talk about fixes, I’d like to have an option where cities don’t build small, curvy streets themselves and they let me build a nice (fugly but efficient?) grid. :p

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.