Best way for bus/tram routes?

Home Forums General Discussion Best way for bus/tram routes?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Stonedashell
    Participant

On that last subject. When my city expands and i can’t make more lines to a station due to collision or not enough room, is it profitable to make a second rail station on the other side of the town?

lightrail
    Participant

I followed a sim for a while and here is their behaviour.

1. Leave house, go to work

2. leave work, go home

3. Leave home, go to commercial

4. Leave commercial go home

5. Leave home, go to Leisure

6. Leave leisure go home

There is a pattern – they always go from home to a place and home and seem to cycle through the three options.

I watched one sim leave home, walk to station, took train to next city, waited for a bus (first one to arrive was ful, so waited for the second), got off then walked to commercial building. Then left commercial building, turned into a car and drove home.

I’m thinking that if the wait for the bus had been less or the first bus was not full, the sim would have chose my transport to go home, but determined the car was faster based on the experience going out.  Also not that sims walk linear – that is they don’t go to the closest stop to them, but the closest stop on the way to their destination.

The RedKing
    Participant

“Also, far into the game the bus stations (bot medium and large) lose their appeal. As they are capped at 27 and 30 respectively per line, if you train drops 200 people then you may lose as many as 85% of them. “

This can be solved:

Create a small loop-road at your Trainstation. Now place NORMAL busstops on this road, one for every line going there. Make sure this road is long enough and all passengers will wait at these normal stops! The number is then only limited by the space on the sidewalk.

crossmr
    Participant

I just keep in mind that local city traffic means nothing.

City-to-City trafic is a key to get money. So i use local lines as a feeder to the long lines only. My local lines end on the long range station. Therfore I make local line as forth and back, never circular. I need to transfer people from their location to the long travel port. If they need to go buy a bread to their local shop, I dont care. If they need to buy a bread in the shop on the other side of map, well, thats interesting 

Local city traffic means a lot. It’s income, you can get some decently profitable lines in city if done well, and they feed city to city traffic and deliver it as well. With the 20 minute rule you don’t only need to get the person on the train, but they need to get to their destination. Good local traffic means more change for them to hit their destination and take the route again, which means greater city to city traffic.

FX2K
    Participant

Local city traffic means a lot. It’s income, you can get some decently profitable lines in city if done well, and they feed city to city traffic and deliver it as well. With the 20 minute rule you don’t only need to get the person on the train, but they need to get to their destination. Good local traffic means more change for them to hit their destination and take the route again, which means greater city to city traffic.

It does indeed… its not just about getting a civ to the centre of another city, they have to make it to their destination too.
    If there is a long walk to each station from home > station & station > work, then they will drive.

If they drive and get stuck in heavy traffic, that civ will not decide to use your lines again until they make it back.. hence why it can take years before you see the effect of a more optimised route.  You have to give them chance to get where they are going first before they re-evaluate how they intend on travelling the next leg of their journey.

DK115
    Participant

I have done some testing. Created a busloop in city 1, created a train connection between city 1 and city 2.

Then created buslines in city 2 over and over again and let it run for 5 years.

Description City 2: West= Resedential including the railwaystation on the edge of the town. North east = leisure (Yellow), Centre = Commercial; South East = Industrial (Blue).

First conclusions:

– A small loop including all major areas (1) or a point to point from station to centre to yellow (2) or a point 2 point from station to centre to blue (3): almost now difference.

On the loop: It looks like a loop green>blue>yellow>red>green (in this case antoclock wise) is performing a little better then green>red>yellow>blue>green (in this case clockwise)

– A big loop (only the outlines of the town) 50% or less then the normal revenue

– A point 2 point only one way: 30% less (so no stops on the way back to the station) (Have not tested this other way around)

– Trying 3 very small lines using centre as starting point: red>green>station (1); red>blue(2) and red>yellow (3): no income at all; only break even after 5 years! (Have not tested this with station as starting point)

Also still not tested: a busline without the station as stop.

Also checked number of citizens and % covered but no conclusions based on that. Looks all a bit random.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by DK115.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.