Big map.Big question.

Home Forums General Discussion Big map.Big question.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Javis
    Participant

Dear Transport Tycoons,

Having fun with my first ever large map. My question is: is it REALLY true that, even with such a large map comprising as much as 26 cities only ONE of the many steel- and saw mills and refineries scattered around the map may be used to supply goods to all of these cities ?….

It is not much of a problem with a small map and it can even be more or less dealt with using a medium map but with a large map it becomes very unrealistic, to say the least…

It’s not that my large map doesn’t work well, on the contrary even, i have never seen any of my earlier small and medium maps work so well.

I just don’t understand the reason behind being restricted to use only one steel- and saw mill and one refinery. Has any of the devs explained why that is by any chance ?

And, again, is it really true ??… Will my saw mill’s current 380 production line cease to exist eventually if i setup another saw mill line at the other end of the map ?….

How do you guys deal with this matter ? Do you try and supply ALL cities on a large map ?

Thanks very much for any insight !

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Javis.
    Nope17
    Participant

Hi Javis,

I don´t know where you heard this, but it´s not correct. You may use as many industries as you like on any map, independent of size and number of cities.

gcampono
    Participant

I think that the question was not well formulated: is it true that supplying the SAME CITIES by MORE INDUSTRIES disrupts the supply chains ? Some users reported problems in doing so. I myself never tried it… I usually supply cities from only one source (but more cities form one source) and never got these problems, but some users reported such behavior.

Javis
    Participant

Thanks for your replies !

>I don´t know where you heard this, but it´s not correct.< 

Well, i’ve heard it right here, many times….

>You may use as many industries as you like on any map, independent of size and number of cities.<

Really ??…. Could this have been implemented in the latest update i wonder ? ( i did not play TF for more than a year..)  Sounds great but it’s the first time i read someting like this about TF industries… There is of course something realistic about the competition that industries may encounter. On a large map however it seems to become undoable to supply goods to all cities from just 3 plants.

Well, i suppose it won’t hurt to give it a try, i save all my doings anyway.  ;- )

>I think that the question was not well formulated: is it true that supplying the SAME CITIES by MORE INDUSTRIES disrupts the supply chains ?<

No, the question was formulated Ok. It is about delivering goods from only *one* steel-, sawmill and refinery. I have always read that if you f.i. have one steel mill running at top production and you start running another (of course supplying goods to *other* cities than those supplied by the first steel mill) you will see the top production of your first steel mill deteriorate very rapidly. This is also exactly my own experience but that is more than a year a go….

It just might be something has been done about it with the latest update and i would surely welcome that very much.

Let’s see…..

Thanks much again, gentlemen ! :- )

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Javis.
    Tossi
    Participant

Then you definitely got something wrong. There was never an issue you are describing but there always was, and there still is about supplying one same CITY by multiple industries, even different ones.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Tossi.
    grimdanfango
    Participant

I think the misinterpretation is coming from the idea that industries should operate at an imagined “full-capacity” simply because you supply them with enough materials.

As far as I’m aware, Train Fever works rather differently.  An industry won’t produce more goods than there is demand for those goods.  That demand can be fulfilled entirely by a single industry, which will grow much larger over time to accomodate it, or the demand can be fulfilled by several different industries, in which case they’ll balance the demand between them.

The issue you’re likely coming across is that if you’re completely fulfilling demand from a single industry already, and you link a second industry into the network to cover that same demand, the load will balance between them… you won’t just force them to produce twice the output even if the demand for that output doesn’t exist.

The main reason you’d connect up a second industry isn’t to somehow generate a mass of extra demand, but to help with the logistics of meeting the existing demand.  You won’t make any more money directly, but you could stand to save a lot of money through added efficiency over time.

If you want to promote demand, you need to do the things that grow cities… supply passengers and goods… and then wait until they create the demand themselves.

As with anything in a simulated economy like Train Fever uses, you won’t see the results instantly… you’ll likely see losses at first.  You have to wait and let the results play out over time.

Javis
    Participant

Thank you, grimdan, i’d say that’s a well formulated, clear and compact summary of how TF Industries works. Like i said earlier it is my first try using a large map. That’s also because i have just started playing TF again after a ‘sabbatical’ of more than a year (mainly due to the, then, inevitable traffic jams) to see what the upgrade is all about. Personally i wouldn’t have mind if they would’ve called it TF2, i am that happy about it.

I took the plunge and setup a second steelmill/goods line serving 5 cities that did not have any goods supllied yet. Going well sofar !…  ;- )

Thanks a lot again !

Javis
    Participant

>Then you definitely got something wrong. There was never an issue you are describing but there always was, and there still is about supplying one same CITY by multiple industries, even different ones.<

Yes, i have always been aware of that, Tossi. But i mainly played small maps with the initial release of TF and didn’t like to see the production of a mill or ref deteriorate vastly once i setup another one. Not that much needed with a small map anyway. It’s just that i’d like to try a large map now. No worries, it’s going pretty well. ;- )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.