Buffer stops and other small improvements/ideas

Home Forums General Discussion Buffer stops and other small improvements/ideas

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    The_President
    Participant

After playing lots of hours I must say that I love this game. Many things/bugs are mentioned before and Urban Games is working on them already. But here are a few other/smaller things that could make the simulation even better (maybe also mentioned before but I must confess that I didn’t read all threads):

Buffer stops
    It would be nice if a buffer stop is placed automatically on every open track end. In reality there are no open tracks – and you could simply detect bad connected tracks visually.

Track building: Move start point
    It is possible to place a fixed start point and move the end point dynamically. But on difficult places it would be great to move the start point too to get the best angle for example

Send train to another depot
    Please add an option to send a train to another depot if it is already in a depot. The train moves to the nearest reachable depot – but I want to organize my trains in different depots – so a button to send the train in another reachable depot from would be nice

Breaks sound
    If a train arrives at a station a small break sound would be nice – I really miss that small thing

Archievement Glacier
    The archievement needs a high placed track but there is no indicator how high I am building right now. There are contour lines but without any legend on it?

Running building costs
    In the finance window there are running building costs listed. But on the buildings detail window and at building time there is no information how much this it…

Option to not load any goods
    Please add an option to freight trains so that do not load any things at a special station

Recognize connected freight lines
    Right now the production company produces only goods for direct connected lines. But I want to transport the goods to a freight station and reload them into another train to transport them to another city. That is not possible at the moment. The productio ncompany produces only goods for the first city and the first city consumes all of the goods

Bridge building really hard if not 90 degrees with 2 tracks
    It is really hard to build bridges with 2 tracks if you not cross the river in a 90 degree angle. If you place the first track on a 45 degree angle and place the second track after that there are always terrain issues because the bridge of the second track must start in front of the first bridge. Please make that possible or enable multi track building at once – so that we can place a multi track bridge with one step for example.

What do you think?

The_President
    Participant

Another great option would be the following:

Display speed limits
    Please add an option to display track speed limits after the track was built – for track optimization for example

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

Double track building tool (with X crossing at junctions)

Please add a double track building tool to enable us to build double tracks more easily.  This would solve the problem of building bridges at angles of much less than 90 degrees.  It would also need to able create an X crossing when double track junctions are produced.  This would be a massive improvement to the game.

Electrification Tool

Please also add a tool to enable electrification of a line in one go.  This would overcome the difficulty people experience with small gaps in the electrification catenary (Overhead line equipment), that are difficult to find.

Third rail (DC) electrification

Please also add third rail (DC) electrification.  We have modders who produce third rail electric trains (S-bahn) that are modeled as diesel trains due to the lack of appropriate electrification.  The UK has a very large network of third rail electrification serving the country south of London.

LB
    Participant

Someone needs to sticky a suggestion post so we don’t end up with millions of them. That someone should be a member who actively visits the forums on a daily basis so that they can maintain the post.

A lot of these suggestions have already been mentioned in this thread here: Suggestions/Fixes Megathread. Unfortunately, the OP of that thread hasn’t updated it for a while so the post has died off. It really needed to be stickied so everyone could see it and post to it. Also, it must be maintained by a dedicated person who won’t give up.

nedson
    Participant

Integrated Rail/Bus Stations

Rail stations having the option for underground tram/bus stations with entrances on either side – pre-built so we just connect the roads/tramlines.

Multi Line Stations

At the moment I find stations are the best places to have junctions – but because the tracks are all aligned in the same direction, it can be challenging. It would be nice to add to stations by being able to build platforms at 90 degrees to existing platforms – or better still, underground.

Intercity Buses

Vehicles which are more suited to intercity bus lines than urban bus lines – (I know there are some mods which have these).

Blokker_1999
    Participant

Building something like this would be great:

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Blokker_1999.
    synchronos
    Participant

Recognize connected freight lines
    Right now the production company produces only goods for direct connected lines. But I want to transport the goods to a freight station and reload them into another train to transport them to another city. That is not possible at the moment.

@The_President
    , are you really sure about this? By my observations, cargo works just as passengers; they find their way to a final destination, even using multiple lines. Most commonly I use trucks for the end delivery (from the cargo station to the city’s industrial areas), but I can’t believe using trucks or trains for the first leg wouldn’t work either. Usually the problem that the cargo won’t get produced and hauled onto a line is that there isn’t enough demand for it.

synchronos
    Participant

Buffer stops
    It would be nice if a buffer stop is placed automatically on every open track end. In reality there are no open tracks – and you could simply detect bad connected tracks visually.

+1 for this. And in addition, same thing for the electrification would be great (something like an extra pylon and wire connecting to the ground or something; but not on the stations). It really would help with debugging electrification on routes. Of course, an overlay mode to colour electrification as when hovering on with the electrification tool would help even more. Just an extra checkbox to the view mode panel on the bottom right. Perhaps also an colour overlay with top speeds as well? But with a gradient of colours, not just green and red.

Steel Talon
    Participant

Multipoint rail construction would be great. Just planning multiple “segments” & confirming it once at the end.

LB
    Participant

Someone needs to sticky a suggestion post so we don’t end up with millions of them. That someone should be a member who actively visits the forums on a daily basis so that they can maintain the post.

A lot of these suggestions have already been mentioned in this thread here: Suggestions/Fixes Megathread. Unfortunately, the OP of that thread hasn’t updated it for a while so the post has died off. It really needed to be stickied so everyone could see it and post to it. Also, it must be maintained by a dedicated person who won’t give up.

Anyone?

The_President
    Participant

@synchronos, I am sure that it doesn’t work in my game right now. Maybe the problem is that my freight station is placed in a city which directly needs the goods. I am sure that the demands of the connected cities (via additional freight lines to this station) are not recognized at the moment because the first city has a demand of 81 for example and the connected factory produces exactly that value of goods…
    One of the connected city has a demand of 40 and after 20 years no goods were delivered.

If I supply two cities with one line or the same city with 2 different stations it works as expected. It is a bit strange that the train fully unloads at the first station and then reloads the goods needed at station 2 again but it is working 😉

A managed thread for all suggestions is really needed. The best solution would be some kind of ticket system directly connected to Urban Games. So they can visit a ticket and close it after they implemented or refused it so every one can view the status and doesn’t need to ask again and again and watch changelogs and so on…

LB
    Participant

I’d start a sticky post, but it’s a huge commitment. And I don’t know if there’s a way to allow more than one person to edit the original post.

Does anyone here have the commitment necessary for this undertaking? This forum needs you!

killakanz
    Participant

I have a suggestion. Thought of this one several times in my games…

It would be nice if it were possible for stations to have road access from both sides of the tracks. At the moment, roads can only connect to one side, and if the city grows to surround your station, the citizens living on the other side have a long way to go to get into the station, even if their house is right next to a platform.

The_President
    Participant

I am no modder so I don’t now the current limitations but I think this can be done/should be done by a modded station? If not – I think the suggestion should be to make that customizable for modders because another player need 3 street connections the next one 4 and Urban Games cannot integrate 100 stations with all possibilities and not all players need them. I think a moddable solution would be great in this case and maybe the screenshot provided by Blokker_1999 can be done the same way if street connections and track laying is fully moddable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.