Cannot move cargo by train.

Home Forums Support Cannot move cargo by train.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Animal Mother
    Participant

I have tried, on a few occasions, to set up cargo only lines on new maps, but I can’t get anything to work.

I can easily have cargo routes via road, but I’m fed up with maintaining the large number of trucks.

This is what I’ve been doing:

Building cargo stations as close to the mine/plant/foundry/city as possible.

1 train running from coal > ore > foundry > city OR 1 train running from coal > ore > foundry and by road from foundry to city.

Neither scenario works.

The different stations are far apart as I’m trying to bring in cargo from various parts of the map.

What am I doing wrong?

What conditions MUST be met to get a cargo line to work?

Nekro
    Participant

Passengers and freight works only when the tact is not more than 10 min per way ,and 10min is too much for the most cases.

Can you upload a picture ( including train window)?

Without it´s hard to say whats going wrong 🙂

Animal Mother
    Participant

Passengers and freight works only when the tact is not more than 10 min per way

What do you mean by “tact”?

Animal Mother
    Participant

I can’t provide a picture as every time I try it, I leave it running for a few years then delete that game.

Seeing as trains are used to move cargo over great distances in real life, it is stupid that there is a distance/time limitation for moving cargo in this game.

SFG
    Participant

the line Management is a 2 Point device………..

1 Cargo to Industry and

2 from Industry to City otherwise it will not work

greetings Markus

FX2K
    Participant

In the majority of cases, the reason these lines do not work is that the travel time + waiting time is greater than the time it would take for the cargo (or passenger) to travel to their destination themselves, also there is a 20 minute travel limit on this.

You need to make sure the frequency shown in the line panel is not too high.

For instance, using your example and made up figures…

1 train running from coal > ore > foundry > city

Coal > Ore = travel time of 5 mins + some for loading
    Ore > Foundry = travel time of 5 mins + some for loading
    Foundry > City = travel time of 5 mins + some for loading
    City > Coal travel time of 10 mins
     + some for loading

The train would stop at the Coal station every 20 minutes (+ loading times) , making the waiting time for the goods exceed the travel time allowed, so they wouldn’t use it.

Now you could break this up, depending on how the route is laid out and the actual line times for each point to point
    So for instance, one train going Coal > Ore > Foundry

Then another Foundry > City > Foundry >  City

I know you mentioned foundry > city via trucks, but regardless of the logistics, make sure the total travel time is under 20  mins period.

Think I have worked that all out correctly, obviously figures etc would vary but as far as I have discovered, that is the general principle.  Excusing any mistakes I may have made 😛

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    Animal Mother
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I’ll give it another go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.