Cargo Capacity Highly Unbalanced

Home Forums General Discussion Cargo Capacity Highly Unbalanced

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stonelouse
    Participant

hello,

at the moment it is much harder to set up a working freight train line than a working truck line.

besides the unnecessary favouring of high frequencies due to unknown hardcoded time constraints and the production volumes which are mostly so low that they don’t warrant an expensive train operation, there is another problem with the capacities.

in 1850, the horsecart has a capacity of 16, while the open wagon also has 16. in reality a horsecart could pull around 2t over larger distances while a two axle railroad car had a capacity of around 10t at that time.

it gets worse in 2000, when the 4 axle open wagon has a capacity of only 52, while the 40t truck can carry an astonishing amount of 80! in fact a 40t truck carries around 20-25t, while a modern 4 axle wagon can load 65t! so the wagon can carry three times as much in reality, when it can only carry half of what the truck does in train fever.

i know i can edit the capacities in the lua files, but at the same time there are too many variables which seem to be hardcoded somehwere else. we definately need a higher cargo production to be able to run longer trains which is something that cannot be edited by us. we could only drastically reduce capacities, but then we would not be able to earn money any more, because that again is hardcoded somehwere else i presume.

train fever has such a nice system of automatically balancing passenger capacity for train cars, i think a similar one should be applied to cargo capacity!

in realits the industrial revolution would not have happened without the railroads and vice versa. bulk goods like coal, ore and crude oil are never transported by trucks on an industrial level. trucks are good to bring smaller finished goods to lots of different destinations, but trains are definately without competition when it comes to bulk cargos.

please think about it, because i didn’t expect to play truck fever…

it would be a nice start if we were able to edit production values in the industry’s model files and if the capacities were more realistic.

jorgenRe
    Participant

For mee to have a profitable train rout i have to send resources to atleast 3 other cities which all are fairly large, So i do agree.

Decrayer
    Participant

The Trick is to increase the market for the produced goods of a certain production. For example if you have a train route that can deliver goods to 3 different cities, the production will upgrade to 200 capacity. That enables you to use much longer trains.

But on the other hand I support your request, the cargo capacity of trucks vs. trains should be rebalanced.

Stonelouse
    Participant

problem with the demand by cities is that all industries produce the same “goods” so basically if i want to run trains to the steel mill, refinery and sawmill i already need to supply 9 large cities, with only 22 cities on the large map we can only serve 6 industries. that does not bode well for industry extensions in the spirit of the cargo mod.

also the fixed supply chain dependency means that it will be even more difficult to keep production up if there will be more layers added to the supply chain. i originally had the idea to create mods to extend industries and goods so that for example from coal and ore raw steel would be created at the steel mill in the form of slabs, coils and blooms, which in turn are turned into profiles, pipes, sheets and stainless steel at various different industries which again are demanded by automobile factories, construction companys, trading companys and so on. that however is impossible at the moment because a steel mill would always turn 1 ore and 1 coal into 1 of all three kinds of raw steel, instead of only producing the one that is demanded and as long as there isn’t demand from all further layers then the production wouldn’t even start at the steel mill even though there was demand for one of the products.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.