Cargo system is broken

Home Forums General Discussion Cargo system is broken

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    gGeorg
    Participant

So potential delivery is 130 steady? I mean, does it fluctuate? The factory message is pointless. Try to guess time needed for coal delivery and Iron delivery. If factory have customers, then release orders. But if orders are not delivered on time comfortably, it hungs up.

Well, trains are great for bigger speed. If you manage to set up cargo train line which is on the edge of time limit. e.g. for a single train frequency 8. Use just two station on the line, then the line is incredibly profitable. Well in other cases, it mostly stall or loose horribly. It works one you get at least 90km/h engine. Otherwise, road is effective.

douglas
    Participant

Yes, 130 steady. I did add a new train to decrease frequency, but no luck. Another game that I needed to abandon and restart all over.

Cargo system really needs to change. Why not make something like the other games?

If I use for example, trains in one part of the route and trucks in another, then with increase in production this is not possible. Because with a production of 200 units, trucks station only hold 16-18 units. Doesn’t matter how many trucks I put, its not possible. Mix with trains and trucks are not really good.

gGeorg
    Participant

Truck and train mix works in the line raw-truck-train-factory. You can use full load at raw for trucks here. Trucks nicely feeding the train.

It doesn’t work in the line raw-train-truck-factory. The reason is : the train station simply flush out whole train load,  cose it doesnt fit to truck station, goods diasapear.  The train station should load other stations in the group like it does for trains. The same issue have passenger train station. It just flush out 100 people, who doesnt fit to bus station and poof, they disappear. Well, I have asked in the support forum for a fix, but no reaction at all.

Look at cargo train station. There is a backyard next to the house. Its not a platform. This area should be used for the incoming animate temporary storage. Until goods have next transport guaranteed.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by gGeorg.
    Gasolene
    Participant

@gGeorg

Do you live in same universe?Did you noticed that race cars have mods for loose weights?Did you try to pull a simple wagon by your personal car?

(Well, if you have one. :D )Did they tell you about Newton’s movements law?

Yes, I forgot about fast and furious, train version.  Yes weight is directly proportional to acceleration, but NOT speed.  Let me reiterate that, weight has NOTHING TO DO WITH SPEED, in a newtonian world.

@Gasolene wrote”train gets up to speed, more weight can actually save fuel.” Oh, you have just invented a perpetum mobile. Great. That explains a lot.

U should fire your physics teacher, no one said anything about creating energy or a perpetual motion machine. An object in an antmosphere spends less fuel per mile then, at a constant speed, if the force of friction due to air is less than the innefeciency of the engine, all other things being equal. which is precisely why long fright trains exist, one they get up to speed they are **almost free.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Gasolene.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Gasolene.
    kimmaz
    Participant

To OP, I think its realistic that cargo is transported “by it self”. I think this is the “AI” you are working together with in this game. And think about it, how should goods be transported from your truck station to every individual industrial building without it? or how should wood/oil/ect leave your station and enter the factory/sawmill?

I like that this game is different than other transport games. And lets face it, the AI in lets say transport tycoon are not that smart, its much more fun to play against a human. I think this “AI” that is in train fever would work wonders in multiplayer, think about it, goods might want to use both players services and things would become complicated!

Clepe
    Participant

I think the biggest problem regarding industries is that the raw materials usually are too close to the factories, which from my own experience makes trains useless/too risky in the most cases. The raw materials should be located further away/there should be fever of them. The factories on the other hand could be in the towns. Here it would help that the cities actually would demand different goods instead of the generic one, so that it would make sense to have freight trains between cities.

I think that the demand based system is great, but it’s silly that it only makes sense to use one raw material source. Instead of the current system of competing raw material deposits, the supply from raw material deposits should be more limited. Maybe have fever of them or letting them upgrade only after all deposits of the same type are producing at maximum capacity.

The 20 minute rule is actually really frustrating, as this is not a very intuitive gameplay mechanic and should be removed. (this is actually the first time I hear about it.)

In the freight types currently in the game, speed shouldn’t be the base for payment. Distance is the obvious candidate. But what’s really important for the factories is that they have a steady flow of raw materials, but in the same time their storage capacity is limited. This could be factored in for example by giving bonuses if the factories are not running out of raw materials or not letting factories upgrade unless they have a steady flow of materials.

Viljainen
    Participant

I don’t think the 20 minutes rule is that restrictive. You can actually cover quite a lot of ground within 20 minutes in game even with the slowest of trains. However, cargo should be less sensitive to waiting times and disruptions to make train transport easier.

As it is now, even a small delay in the train traffic can cause the line to become unused and the factory production will reset to zero and the cargo lines will be left with nothing to transport for a long time. This causes huge deficits from the operating costs.

Krogoth_mk2
    Participant

I agree that the cargo system as it stands needs work.

But I don’t agree with your idea of price being based on speed, as some other posts have pointed out a steel mill don’t care if it’s iron ore arrive in 1 hour or 5 hours, just as long as it arrives. I think that each raw material industry should display an “offer price per unit” which is based on “As the crow flies” distance to the nearest user. It would then be upto you to ship the required amount to the factory at a profit, regardless of whether you use trucks, trains, or a mix of both. I do agree though that “Goods” sold in towns should be based on a supply/demand based price, but again speed should not be a factor.

In order to make the cargo system better though, more of the cargo needs to arrive at the station. At the moment a factory can produce 200 units of goods but only 100 might turn up at the station, the percentage of what turns up seems to be based on frequency of the service. I think the whole lot needs to wait at the station (for a set period of time), thus making longer less frequent trains achievable.

douglas
    Participant

I really wish a tweak on cargo system. 40 min rule for cargo? Pls?

PickPay
    Participant

the only trouble I have is delivering cargo throughout a city. even with trucks it doesn’t seem to work well in my biggest city (+2200 pops)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.