Cities Skylines is out and Urban Games should take notice

Home Forums General Discussion Cities Skylines is out and Urban Games should take notice

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    isidoro
    Participant

But that also have its own problems:

1. What happens with that revenue over time… will it get smaller, for the same speed, or stay the same?
    2. How to justify that newer vehicles cost more and older ones just disappear, even if I would prefer them at their price?

In real life, I guess that it has a lot to do with competition: I want some coal for my factory, and I have to order some.  I will pay more or less the same for transportation speed, being the main issue the cost of coal itself.  But that would mean a deeper economy simulation, with a coal market, a transportation market, etc.  If there is no competition and I am the only to bring coal at 60 kph, they will have to take the coal at the price I ask.

Mail and passengers is question apart.

Person012345
    Participant

I said the drop off would increase as time went on. You wouldn’t even need to make old ones disappear (although they still could because they aren’t being manufactured any more) because they’d be getting such harsh penalties for being slow that they couldn’t be profitable later on (except for certain goods that don’t care as much, in which case it’s perfectly fine to have a certain level of outdated equipment running). I don’t even understand what your issue is.

gcampono
    Participant

I like the idea of penalties/bonuses depending on speed delivery. I think revenues should increase over time (inflation) but speed penalties should increas as well in a way that for an average performance compared to average transport speed (which also increase over time) should approximately be the same. If one is able to provide better speed he should be rewarded…

To be fair, in the game there already is a similar mechanism in that the higher the speed, the higher the goods/passengers can be delivered in the same time span which generates more revenues and thus profits. However, faster trains also cost a lot more in running fees… with supply not increasing as much (even considering that with added speed the 20 minutes limit means a larger radius) it often seems that is economically better to remain with older locomotives rather than invest in new ones… which does not economically makes sense.

So I think there should be some added incentives to renew one’s train fleet: speed bonuses, more supply, added city/industry growth

Azrael
    Participant

I don’t see, where it wouldn’t make sense to invest in new locomotives, by the time new ones appear, your old ones are probably that long in service, that their enhanced running costs due to their age are higher than the starting running cost of the new locos.
    Additionally, new locos are often faster than old ones, either because they can climb inclinations faster or they just have a better top speed, thus they decrease frequency which in return gets you more passengers.
    Only in freight delivery it can be the case, that older locos are better than new ones, because the industries are pretty fixed.
    If they deliver to one city/industrie = 50 goods limit, to two 100, to three 150 and so on.

isidoro
    Participant

@Person012345: my main concern is that those bonuses/penalties are unrealistic.  It is an artificial way to force you to choose new machines over old ones.  That economy competition that is absent in the simulation is inside those bonuses/penalties that increase with the pass of time.

gcampono
    Participant

@Azrael: what you say is true, but you can replace old trains in service with a new locomotive of the same “old model”. Increase in speed and power is capable of offsetting higher running costs only in the early-mid part of the game. I am not sure if the added range of the 20 minutes limit with a higher speed is capable of offsetting added running costs. In my experience I tend to have more profitable lines, also for passengers, by choosing the locomotive with the lower running costs even if it has lower power and speed (except for the first part of the game), which is often an older model. Of course this could be balanced in other ways such as increasing running costs of older models with time due to inflation (but prices should also adjust), difficulties of finding spare parts etc.

@isidoro
    : it is true that those bonuses are somewhat unrealistic, but in some countries we have price discriminations for high speed passenger trains, faster mail delivery etc. I don’t know for freight. However, this is a game and it should be fun: many other transport games have this kind of mechanism and the game was funnier (of course they also had competition with other companies or players…).

Person012345
    Participant

@isidoro Yes, well the game doesn’t perfectly simulate an economy and it never will. I find it unlikely an AI will be added so we work with what we can.

Lowell
    Participant

This last update yesterday fixed tons of issues.

These guys are working day and night on this project. They have done some great work, as well as the modders.

I give this last update three thumbs.

vinkandoi
    Participant

@Lowell from where will get an extra thumb

larry.kubiak
    Participant

I’ll wait until UG patches the patch to decide if it deserves a thumbs up or not.

At the moment, it looks like this is another case of a patch released without proper testing o.O’

Lowell
    Participant

@vinkandoi

I was going to borrow your’s… 😀

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Lowell.
    simonmd
    Participant

Well, ive not been on here for a while and it’s amusing to see this thread is still active. There seems to be a couple of people who had the intelligence to understand what I was trying to say but the rest of you should learn how to read AND comprehend what’s being said.

Does the fact that this is Urban Games first release make it ok to lie about their product and basically take my hard earned money with deception? I would never have paid for it if I’d have known it was unfinished and early access, which it IS.

Does the fact that youre a small developer make it ok to give shoody customer service? Surely the reverse is true, my original point was EA can afford to fuck people about, Urban Games CANT, yet they still do.

Do you think its ok that a game needs a patch at least once a month, maybe more over SIX MONTHS after release? This will eventually KILL the mod scene, the very thing that niche products like this need to keep interest, as more and more modders get sick of having to constantly re-release their work to accommodate yet another game change.

If you have answered ‘yes’ to any of those three questions then I wish you well and there’s obviously no point in wasting any more time discussing the issue.

To those that answered ‘no’, then you shouldn’t look at threads like this as a personal attack, like a lot of you deem to do but as an attempt by a Train Fever fan (yes, that’s me, I love the game, or I wouldn’t give a shit would I?) to TRY and get the Developer to notice and pull their fucking finger out!

Customer service costs FUCK ALL. Be nice to see anyone form UG in here, their OWN forum now and then, is that too much to ask? It’s people who let them get away with stuff like that and who openly defend a BROKEN AND INCRECTLY LABLED PRODUCT that encourage all the shit in the gaming industry today. One day you sheep will wake up and realise you’ve been made a mug of and you’ll only have yourself to blame.

vinkandoi
    Participant

@Simonmd

Hats of too you man

You have something in you.

You can make a thread active for so long.

isidoro
    Participant

@simonmd:  Well, there is a third alternative to answer a question: don’t know/don’t answer.

Question 1: deception is a personal question.  My only deception with the game is that it doesn’t run in 32K linux… (don’t know/doesn’t apply to this case)

Question 2: I’ve got no problem with the game so far, so for me there is not such a poor customer service (don’t know/doesn’t apply to this case)

Question 3: parts of those patches were to give new functionality, so those parts were not really a patch to correct bugs.  I haven’t experience any problem with the game, thus all patches were and will be welcomed.  The more, the better. (yes)

So I guess I belong to the group of people you wouldn’t like to spend your time with (a yes in the third answer).

It’s people who let them get away with stuff like that and who openly defend a BROKEN AND INCRECTLY LABLED PRODUCT that encourage all the shit in the gaming industry today. One day you sheep will wake up and realise you’ve been made a mug of and you’ll only have yourself to blame.

Well it seems as if we were talking about the Armageddon and the end of times…  The game costs 20-30 EUR.  I’ve just spent more in drinks tonight…  And tomorrow they will all be flowing in the river…

larry.kubiak
    Participant

Haha … good one about the drinks 🙂

(and more generaly, about the fact that we are only discussing about a video game, not the end of our civilization)

I agree with you on patches. If the patches are released to solve small bugs or give more functionnalities, I don’t see the problem, especially if the additionnal functionnalities are requested by users.

Everybody in the gaming industry works like that … also Paradox/Colossal Order on Cities Skylines (to solve some bugs, add some small changes in the gameplay). Cities Skylines has also some missing features (tunnels for examples) that will be added in a future patch.

And it looks like the devs are taking the modding community in account, with increased official support of Mods to improve compatibility with future patches. This goes clearly in the right direction.

The only majors issues with the Train Fever patches are :

– the unrequested (and unexpected) functionnalities that completely changes the gaming experience. I refer directly to the introduction of Main connections last december, that should (could) have been more prepared, with explanations given to the users

– the buggy patches, that need to be patched again later on

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.