Coal instead of Iron-Ore ?..

Home Forums General Discussion Coal instead of Iron-Ore ?..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Javis
    Participant

Hi,

After more than a year free of train fever temperature is rising again….. Started a new game (European), all upgrades new to me. I have played TF for 361 hours so i know my way around. I have setup a few buslines and an iron-ore/coal/goods cargo line. I notice something i have never seen before: next to the iron-ore mine is of course a cargo station that is supposed to recieve iron-ore from the mine which then will be picked up by the freighter and transported to the Steel Mill. However what happens is that automatic coal cargo is transported from the coal mine to the cargo station at the Iron-Ore Mine !?? No iron-ore is delivered to the iron-ore cargo station…..

All vehicles servicing the ‘iron-ore to steel mill’ line pick up this coal waiting at the iron-ore mine…..  Transport from the Coal Mine to the Steel Mill works fine. On the Vehicles List there are no iron-ore icons to see, just coal icons…. The line Iron-Ore Mine to Steel Mill is setup correctly. The cargo station is as close to the mine as possible.

Like i said, during the 361 hours i played the initial version of TF i have never seen such odd behaviour.

Am i doing something wrong because of the upgrade of the game ?…. Is it a bug ??…..

All hints/tips highly appreciated !

Cheers,

Jan

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Javis.
    Cosmicspacehead
    Participant

One of the latest updates added the ability to select which cargo the cars can carry, open wagons for example can carry coal, or iron ore. You need to select which one you want now, no more auto selection!

So if you have a train going from a coal mine, to and iron ore mine, then a steel mill, you need to make half of your train coal, and the other half iron ore. This is done via the buy vehicles menu, when you select the open wagons, or whatever, there a little icon to click on its stats page to select what cargo it will take.

Same goes for cargo trucks.

Hope that helps!

Javis
    Participant

” One of the latest updates added the ability to select which cargo the cars can carry, open wagons for example can carry coal, or iron ore. You need to select which one you want now, no more auto selection!So if you have a train going from a coal mine, to and iron ore mine, then a steel mill, you need to make half of your train coal, and the other half iron ore. This is done via the buy vehicles menu, when you select the open wagons, or whatever, there a little icon to click on its stats page to select what cargo it will take.Same goes for cargo trucks. “

Ok, i see, thanks !!

So selecting which goods will be carried is *only* possible during the buy process, right ? *Not* after the vehicle has been bought ?

One thing still not clear to me, why is automatic cargo coal being delivered to the *Iron-Ore* cargo station ?…. Is that new too ?…

Sure, i can have my horse freighters ( no trains yet ) pick up that coal at the Iron-Ore cargo station as well, or probabely let them load half iron-ore/half coal. But is that really the meaning ?….

Thanks again !

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Javis.
    Javis
    Participant

Btw, is it normal procedure that first about 4 or 5 locomotives get replaced by more modern locs while we’re still plodding along with horse and wagon on the road ?

Tossi
    Participant

Yeah it’s normal. And you can switch the cargo of vehicle if you put vehicle into depot. Also cargo station is universal for all cargo. There never was such a thing as Iron Ore station.

Javis
    Participant

Thanks, Tossi!

How about passenger trains now, after the upgrade ? Still the same ?… I.e. at first it works well but once people get their cars they tend to avoid travelling by train more and more.

I love the new vehicle exchange system (what a relief ! ), thereafter my biggest wish always was to have a passenger train service without going bankrupt eventually. It’s not called Train Fever for nothing, is it…

Thanks for any insight in this !

Cosmicspacehead
    Participant

Passengers will still take the quickest route to their destination. Which later in game, is via car, because cars are quicker overall. No walking to a bus stop, to go to the station, to then wait for a train, then ride it, to then catch a bus to their destination.

One exploit, I shall call it, is to make roads you’re not using for busses or trucks, extremely windy and long, and use the slowest road available. So it’s no longer quicker for car travel.

Or use the no main connection mod, and remove them entirely. Lol

Otherwise,you need to use small low capacity, but fast cheap trains so there’s no waiting at your stations.

But then the running costs will get you eventually.

Basically, how the game is, its so far for me been impossible to fill a 200 capacity modern train, without exploits or mods. Lol

Javis
    Participant

Thanks mucho, Cosmic ! So not much change there… Big Bummer…  :-((

In a transport sim called ‘Train Fever’ one would expect that trains would be the most preferable way of travel. Passengers or cargo alike. Nothing more disappointing than to see cars that the user doesn’t even have control over (other than destroy roads…) spoil the party.

Why the devs have assigned so much influence of cars in a transport sim called ‘Train Fever’ is a complete mistery to me. Even a bigger mistery is the fact that they didn’t do anything about that in the upgrade.

What’s the difference between getting bankrupt in Europe or in the USA because you can’t get a profit from running a train service. With a game called ‘Train Fever’ a true contradictio in terminis if you ask me.

But thanks again for your explanation, Cosmic. Sure hoped to hear something else. Atleast it’s clear that there’s not much use for me to start playing Train Fever again. If the devs leave this deplorable state of ‘Train Fever’ for what it is they’d better start calling it ‘Car Fever’…

cheers,

jan

Cosmicspacehead
    Participant

They should have named it “bankrupt fever”… Lol

But to be honest, this ‘game’ is more of a sim. It’s more in tune with real life than openTTD, except for a few dumb ideas.

I live in the UK, and I used to live in Cornwall, most of the railway there has been shut down in the last 30ish years due to cars being cheaper and faster to get to where you want.

Most of the railway now just does vintage steam train rides.

Even though I love trains, I’m not gonna catch a bus to the nearest station (£5 and 30 minutes), to catch train to the city (£15 and 1 hour). When I can do the whole journey by car, and use less than £20 in fuel and parking, and do the whole trip in under an hour.

So the passenger part of train fever makes sense, annoyingly, the cargo however, is still annoying. Lol

lankygit
    Participant

When I get the train into London, I drive and park at the station and then get the train. Maybe car parks need to be added to stations? We collect revenue from parked vehicles too maybe. Just an idea.

Mike
    Participant

Damn good idea BTW!!!
    ..But I think it’ll be more for TF2…

Javis
    Participant

>But to be honest, this ‘game’ is more of a sim. It’s more in tune with real life than openTTD, except for a few dumb ideas.<

Yup, i called it a ‘transport sim’ in my post above. 😉 I usually don’t play ‘games’. My favs are FSX and TS2015 and i also create content for both these sims. The last ‘games’ i played were the Myst franchise, which i always thought of as the pinnacle of computer games. And to some extend Euro Truck Sim and Anno 2070.

>I live in the UK, and I used to live in Cornwall, most of the railway there has been shut down in the last 30ish years due to cars being cheaper and faster to get to where you want.<

Sure, in that respect TF can be called realistic but in other parts of the UK railway is still more or less booming, isn’t it. Here in the Netherlands even new railways are build. I mean, it’s not only cars being the faster transport ( and often even  being slower compared to trains because of traffic jams, something which is (was?…) being extraordinairy well simulated in TF as well… 🙁 ), it can also very much be more comfortable and cheaper to travel by train. Some aspect of train versus car competition would’ve been good and realistic to replicate in TF but it’s just waaay too much as it is now.

>Most of the railway now just does vintage steam train rides.<

Don’t i know it… 😉 Not that i know much about Cornwall ( Very beautiful ! I ‘know’ it mostly from Inspector Wycliffe and the Coast series, must be wonderful to live there  😉 but i have visited the Severn Valley, North Yorkshire Moors, and Settle to Carlisle railways quite a few times. Talking about Train Fever !! 🙂

>Even though I love trains, I’m not gonna catch a bus to the nearest station (£5 and 30 minutes), to catch train to the city (£15 and 1 hour). When I can do the whole journey by car, and use less than £20 in fuel and parking, and do the whole trip in under an hour.<

Sure, very understandable of course but f.i. very different from my neck of the woods. I live in an industrial area not far from Amsterdam. If your work is in Amsterdam you’d be crazy not to take the train. Traffic jams all over during rush hours and hard to find parking space. Trains go every 15 minutes (during rush hours) and from my station only a 20 minutes ride. I used to work in Amsterdam and always went by train. Loved that, but true, i didn’t have a car then…  😉

>So the passenger part of train fever makes sense, annoyingly, the cargo however, is still annoying. Lol<

I still think it is hugely overdone, certainly because the sim is called Train Fever… That’s why i bought it… 🙂

Javis
    Participant

>Damn good idea BTW!!! <

+1 !!

>..But I think it’ll be more for TF2…<

Is there actually a TF2 in the pipeline ??….

isidoro
    Participant

What year are you playing at?  I’m now in 2010, easy difficulty and some trains lose, but some earn a lot.  Overall profit.  No mods and no tricks in the game.

If we consider that max track speed is 300 kmh and max road speed is 100 kmh, if you carefully plan your lines (town sufficiently far apart, frequent service, etc.), trains can be more competitive in the game.

On the other hand, if you have a poor locomotive, a not very frequent service with lots of near-by stops, trains aren’t a good alternative, but that is somewhat realistic, isn’t it?

Javis
    Participant

>What year are you playing at? <

1883 and all’s well..  ;- )

TF1883

>I’m now in 2010, easy difficulty and some trains lose, but some earn a lot.  Overall profit.  No mods and no tricks in the game.<

Well, sure, i’ve made it to 2096, transport tycoon millionaire and all but that’s more than a year ago. I thought it would be interesting to see what the upgrade is all about. I gave up because of the annoying traffic jams and the constant red figures behind most of my railway pax lines. I hate red figures.. ;- )

Usually railway cargo worked quite well.

I figure in real life it will be hard for railway companies to make a profit as well but something that seems not to be replicated in TF is the rush hours. While trains in my area during normal hours can be seen running almost empty, during rush hours they are fully packed with people. And that’s a local service with many stops.

There’s this ‘no main connections 1.0’ now. Not really sure what it means but i’d like to find out.  ;- )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.