Coal instead of Iron-Ore ?..

Home Forums General Discussion Coal instead of Iron-Ore ?..

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Cosmicspacehead
    Participant

Don’t i know it… ;-) Not that i know much about Cornwall ( Very beautiful ! I ‘know’ it mostly from Inspector Wycliffe and the Coast series, must be wonderful to live there  😉 

Lol Cornwall LOOKs nice, but is by no means a nice place to live, hence why I left. Lol nice to visit, but if you wanna live there, you need to be loaded! And live with the fact, that all summer, you can’t enjoy any of the things you moved there for, cos its too damn busy! Lol all the beach car parks are full, beaches are packed. Heck, I couldn’t even take the dogs to the woods cos that carpark was full too. Lol Cornwall actually NEEDS its railways back, because the towns and roads just can’t cope with the traffic. In the winter, my drive to work would take 7 minutes. In the summer, it could take up to 30!…. I lived 2 miles away. Lol

Anyhoo, back to TF. Your start looks pretty good so far. Though I did see a train with no cartridges on your tempe-anheim line. Lol

Also, you should keep auto replace for horses off until you get trucks. Because your horses will get old just before new trucks come out, then be replaced, only to really need replacing again, because they’re too slow.

I’ve still not got past 1956… Not for going bankrupt, but out of bordem. Usually by then I have every city connected by rail. And a few select industries at near Max output.

That no main connection mod allows you to delete all roads… It’s what I use cos the main connection detection is still buggy. You can build 10 bypasses, but still not be aloud to delete the 200 year old dirt track.Lol and in some cases, not be able to upgrade a raod cos of a ‘not enough space’ error, when there is in fact, loads of space. Lol

Javis
    Participant

>Lol Cornwall LOOKs nice, but is by no means a nice place to live, hence why I left. Lol nice to visit, but if you wanna live there, you need to be loaded! And live with the fact, that all summer, you can’t enjoy any of the things you moved there for, cos its too damn busy! Lol all the beach car parks are full, beaches are packed. Heck, I couldn’t even take the dogs to the woods cos that carpark was full too. Lol Cornwall actually NEEDS its railways back, because the towns and roads just can’t cope with the traffic. In the winter, my drive to work would take 7 minutes. In the summer, it could take up to 30!…. I lived 2 miles away. Lol <

Sounds pretty much like TF…. ;- ) A few branches have actually been reinstated, isn’t it ? F.i. like Falmouth ? Very nice route in TS, btw. Hopefully more of that will happen sooner or later. Where exactly did you live ?

>Anyhoo, back to TF. Your start looks pretty good so far. Though I did see a train with no cartridges on your tempe-anheim line. Lol<

Correct. Didn’t sink in yet that i need to select wagons and coaches as well during setup of the replacement system. That’s Ok now.

>Also, you should keep auto replace for horses off until you get trucks. Because your horses will get old just before new trucks come out, then be replaced, only to really need replacing again, because they’re too slow.<

Thanks, yes, i changed the replacement percentage to 25% for all cargo horses. They all got replaced by the first truck almost immidiately. Same for the stagecoaches and first bus. (hoped they’d have pax showing and a driver after the upgrade…alas peanutbutter (that sounds better in dutch : helaas pindakaas… ;- )

>I’ve still not got past 1956… Not for going bankrupt, but out of bordem. Usually by then I have every city connected by rail. And a few select industries at near Max output.<

I’m taking it easy with railway. Only 4 lines sofar, 2 cargo and 2 pax. Rest by road. All cities connected. Going surprisingly very well, i must’ve learned something ( or it is the upgrade… ;- ) Almost 100mln profit and counting. First personal cars have appeared though…. trouble ahead..

Say, did i read correctly here that it is best to deliver only ONE kind of goods to a city ??…. That f.i. delivering goods from the Steel Mill PLUS goods from the Oil Refinery to the same city actually works counterproductive ?….

>That no main connection mod allows you to delete all roads… It’s what I use cos the main connection detection is still buggy. You can build 10 bypasses, but still not be aloud to delete the 200 year old dirt track.Lol and in some cases, not be able to upgrade a raod cos of a ‘not enough space’ error, when there is in fact, loads of space. Lol <

I used to demolish intercity roads as well to counter traffic jams but since you still need roads for cargo and busses it didn’t work in the end. Curious to see what’ll happen now when the car lobby enters the scene. Atleast i suppose Volkswagen is out… ;- )

Cosmicspacehead
    Participant

I used to live in a small town called Wadebridge, between Bodmin and padstow.

There used to be a line running from Bodmin parkway station to padstow, via Wadebridge. But its been closed so long(before I even moved there) that it’s now just a cycle path along the river. It would be nice to re-open the line, but there’s half a town in the way now. Lol a tram line would be good though.

I’m in 1960~  in my current game now, and I just build a high speed line from one end of the map to the other, with only 1 stop in the middle. And my God, most trains take a while to turn a profit, but this one was so full by the end of the first year, I had to upgrade the line to a double track and put a second train on. Lol not impressed though, I brought a 180kph train and cars, but it never gets above 130 🙁 maps too short. Lol

Looks like long distance is the way forward in TF.

And yes, supplying a city with 2 different goods is bad for both industries. Same as supplying an industry from 2 separate sources. Ruins it for me.

Person012345
    Participant

Actually, there was a change that made cars take into account traffic. If too many people are driving a road and it gets clogged, now people will decide “that takes too long” and take the train instead. Although I’ve never had issues with lack of train ridership, maybe you should increase the frequency of your buses and/or trains so that people aren’t waiting too long. Trains are still faster than cars, especially with speed limits.

Javis
    Participant

>I used to live in a small town called Wadebridge, between Bodmin and padstow.There used to be a line running from Bodmin parkway station to padstow, via Wadebridge. But its been closed so long(before I even moved there) that it’s now just a cycle path along the river. It would be nice to re-open the line, but there’s half a town in the way now. Lol a tram line would be good though.<

I see, very sad, must’ve been a nice ride along the river and the sea. Great though the path is still there ( i ‘walked’ along it for a piece, gotta love Googlemaps! ;- ) It’s a drag to have to close down a line in TF, in real life it must be really dramatic..

>I’m in 1960~  in my current game now, and I just build a high speed line from one end of the map to the other, with only 1 stop in the middle. And my God, most trains take a while to turn a profit, but this one was so full by the end of the first year, I had to upgrade the line to a double track and put a second train on. Lol not impressed though, I brought a 180kph train and cars, but it never gets above 130 :-( maps too short. Lol Looks like long distance is the way forward in TF.<

I am progressing very nicely as well,1946 now. Have to say i am quite surprised how well everything goes compared to TF before the upgrade, certainly re pax trains. I thought i’d have a look at the US installment. Love the locs and trains !

>And yes, supplying a city with 2 different goods is bad for both industries. Same as supplying an industry from 2 separate sources. Ruins it for me.<

I have 7 cities on my map of which 3 are supplied with goods from the Oil Ref., 2 from the Saw Mill and 2 from the Steel Mill. So i guess that’s it as far as goods go… (plants still advice to ship more goods… )

Javis
    Participant

>Actually, there was a change that made cars take into account traffic. If too many people are driving a road and it gets clogged, now people will decide “that takes too long” and take the train instead.<

Sounds good!  Can’t wait to find out, thanks for the tip ! :- )

Before the upgrade it really put me off to see 5 or 6 buses in a row glogged up behind personal cars that were driving on the bus lane ! Is that still happening when car traffic really gets going ?

>Although I’ve never had issues with lack of train ridership,< 

You mean *before* the upgrade ?…

>maybe you should increase the frequency of your buses and/or trains so that people aren’t waiting too long. Trains are still faster than cars, especially with speed limits.<

So far it looks like the devs did a great job with the upgrade. I am still only in 1950’s now but i haven’t seen one red figure in my pax trains profits yet ! In fact all figures are still in the green but for one tram line. Still i see my 70km trucks stuck behind a 30 km bus on a 4 lane road…. Not all is fixed yet.. ( a bit ridiculous that a GM Fishbowl bus can only carry 12 pax, a real one carries 33 to 45 or even more..,no wonder all these crowds at the busstops  ;- )

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Javis.
    Cosmicspacehead
    Participant

I spoke too soon about my high speed map length train. It turned out I had a traffic jam because somehow, on my main line, a cargo train got stuck going the wrong way and just parked in the middle of my line. Lol as soon as I fixed it, my profit on my express train dropped into the red. Lol so I closed it pretty quick.

Person012345
    Participant

Before the upgrade it really put me off to see 5 or 6 buses in a row glogged up behind personal cars that were driving on the bus lane ! Is that still happening when car traffic really gets going ?

I don’t know because my experience is that they solved the clogged up traffic problem. I had a game where everything was packed solid with cars, but after they released that fix it all cleared up and I haven’t had any real trouble with cars clogging up cities again so I can’t tell you if they clog up bus lanes still.

Person012345
    Participant

Re: The convo above, these are the trains in my area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ROKQ0-lo9E

Clearly the department of infrastructure doesn’t know how the auto-upgrade function works.

(Also yeah, it’s narrowgauge)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Person012345.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.