Could we keep the 4 lanes one size?

Home Forums General Discussion Could we keep the 4 lanes one size?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    crossmr
    Participant

1. why are city 4 lanes different sizes? You can upgrade a road to 4 lanes, and it’ll fit (small size) but if there are no houses beside it, it’ll create a kind of fatter piece. What is the point of this? It makes roads look stupid. breaks up things like bus lines (creating a gap as the road changes), and causes layout issues.

2. damn these collisions. I’ve got an existing 4 lane in my city, (old style) and trying to simply upgrade it to modern 4 lane (same size) no lanes or even tram tracks , just update the pavement, can’t do it, “collisions”

So I’ve got these weird spots of dark pavement in my city because there are two or three spots that I can’t upgrade, can’t remove them without spending millions deleting houses, and even then I’m sure the map would find something else to complain about if I tried to lay new road (well with the new road it’d be inexplicably wider and look just as stupid)

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

Regarding your first point it’s because it’s realistic. IRL when building a multi lane road in the middle nowhere you tend to make the lanes wide. When upgrading existing roads to add more lanes within a city you can’t demolish half of it. Colonial cities are probably a bad example but European cities like London are full of this.

I haven’t had an example of what you describe in #2, have you got a screenshot?

crossmr
    Participant

1. It’s useless in this game. There are plenty of things which aren’t realistic and this is a poor thing to try and excuse the game on. It looks like crap and creates poor layouts. The problem is it will also do this right in the middle of the city if that tiny sliver of a road doesn’t have a house right beside it. This is “city road” not “highway road”.

here is the one where you can see the fat road in the middle near the old bus.

and here is where you can see the old road that won’t upgrade because of “collisions” they’re the same damn size.

FX2K
    Participant

It also causes vehicles to change speed as they navigate to the fatter / thinner road sections.

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

I see what you mean, in the first one the road is split as it’s been modified in the past. The second looks more like a bug.

Personally I like having the 2 sizes but have nothing against being given the option to build either explicitly. Especially since this is a sandbox game.

FX2K
    Participant

Personally I like having the 2 sizes but have nothing against being given the option to build either explicitly. Especially since this is a sandbox game.

I would rather have a 6 lane avenue than a thin / fat version of the 4 lane to be honest.

crossmr
    Participant

I see what you mean, in the first one the road is split as it’s been modified in the past. The second looks more like a bug.

it wasn’t modified in the past. I upgraded both parts of that road at the same time. The problem was the game sees them as two parts. The part that had houses on it was upgraded one size (originally a medium road) and the little tip was also a medium road, but wasn’t included as one piece when I clicked on it to upgrade it.

As for the second picture, all three directions in that intersection can’t be upgraded. Even the two lane old road can’t be upgraded because of “collisions”

crossmr
    Participant

I would rather have a 6 lane avenue than a thin / fat version of the 4 lane to be honest.

That’d be great if cars would pass each other. We can’t use way points on roads huh? 4 lane roads and all your different lines on one road want to take the same lane. Early on that’s killer as you get faster buses before you get faster trucks.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by crossmr.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by crossmr.
    TrainInfluenza
    Participant

it wasn’t modified in the past. I upgraded both parts of that road at the same time.

Sorry I didn’t mean necessarily you, the AI could have done it. But it’s academic anyway since the road is split now.

Regarding 6 lanes, you can try this but without overtaking I’m not sure how much use it is. Can’t use it on existing saved games apparently.

http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/69-6-Spurige-Straße/

FX2K
    Participant

That’d be great if cars would pass each other. We can’t use way points on roads huh? 

True, but in some circumstances (I have tried the mod above recently) they do use all lanes depending on their intended direction when they come to a junction… also with one of those being a bus lane it can improve the flow quite a bit.

I am referring of course to civilian traffic mainly.

Since trucks also use a bus lane this doesn’t help for scenarios like you posted a screenshot for.
    I wonder who’s bright idea it was to allow 40 tonne trucks to use the bus lane 😛

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by FX2K.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by FX2K.
    Tattoo
    Participant

This is why I made these.

No Small Roads & Thinner Large Roads

Mansen
    Participant

And you are a true champion for doing so, Tat.

Already using it in my current LP and they are awesome. 😀

crossmr
    Participant

This is why I made these.

No Small Roads & Thinner Large Roads

This is good. After applying it I was able to fix the stupid roads and even upgrade the ones that were stuck. I noticed though that medium upgrades were also a difference size than regular medium roads. 6 vs 8

Tattoo
    Participant

This is good. After applying it I was able to fix the stupid roads and even upgrade the ones that were stuck. I noticed though that medium upgrades were also a difference size than regular medium roads. 6 vs 8

Thanks, I’m glad you find it useful. I believe those are the small roads that you’re speaking of. I changed the small roads to the medium sized roads so the town doesn’t build small roads. But the ‘No Small Roads’ is for when generating new maps otherwise it’s useless for saved games. But the ‘Thinner Large Roads’ is good for saved games. The only drawback to using the No Small Roads is that any modded stations HAVE to have the paths setup for the medium roads which is 6.5. The small roads are set at 4.5.

I actually found a better solution to the No Small Roads. Instead of swapping out the medium roads for the small roads, I found I could change the boundries of the small roads instead. I haven’t tested it enough to release anything tho. I started on something else and never went back to this yet. I’ll get back to the roads some day, just can’t say when.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Tattoo.
    crossmr
    Participant

I didn’t use the small roads pack, only the thinner large roads, so no, they are the medium roads that are included with the game.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.