Creating a new cargo route

Home Forums General Discussion Creating a new cargo route

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to create a new cargo route?

I know I can set up routes between two factories where the cargo already slowly moves automagically, but is it possible to set up a line between, say, an iron ore mine and a steel mill if no cargo is flowing there by itself?

If so, how do I do this?

olahaldor
    Participant

It’s possible. I’ve done so. But with varying success rate..

A station/depot at either end and set up your route as usual.

Anonymous
    Inactive

and then? It sends nothing most months, maybe 1 if i’m really lucky…

olahaldor
    Participant

Then perhaps you should up the delivery of resources the factory needs to create goods.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by olahaldor.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

it’s about delivering raw resources. There’s no iron ore/coal bent sent to the steel mill, even though my line is a lot faster (and it wasn’t sending out anything before)

Dozer
    Participant

Game mechanics are obscure. But it seems that suppliers have point to point contracts with buyers (other industries or towns) rather than delivering cargo to anywhere, where it is demanded. This means that you have to figure out where a supplier wants to deliver to and then set up lines accordingly.  Suppliers seem not to start to deliver, because a line is set up. This only is the case when a new road or track is built for the line to be, which connects supplier and buyer in an efficient way, that was not available before. Suppliers can also have several buyers. But the criterium, of how much is delivered to each of the buyers, is obscure. Distance? Demand of produced goods? This obscure criterium would explain your one piece per year deliveries, contrary to none at all or a lot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Dozer. Guess it’s a little different from OTTD 😉

Azrael
    Participant

The criteria is the 20 minute radius, simple by that.
    For example the steel mill, coal mine and iron mine.

If it takes longer than 20 minutes for the coal and the iron mine to deliver their ores to the steel mill by themselves, they don’t deliver it. So it can happen, that an iron mine produces nothing even in the 2000’s.
    You can start it up though, because I have this case in my game.
    I created lines between a steel mill and a coal mine and an iron mine. All 3 were producing nothing, the steel mill because of the lack of ressources and the mines because the way to the steel mill took for their goods longer than 20 minutes by themselves.

The train lines, though also a road vehicle line should do the trick too, created a fast way and thus all 3 started producing their product, the mines their ores and when the ores reached the steel mill, it produced goods.

christiansok
    Participant

If it takes longer than 20 minutes for the coal and the iron mine to deliver their ores to the steel mill by themselves, they don’t deliver it. So it can happen, that an iron mine produces nothing even in the 2000′s.You can start it up though, because I have this case in my game.

This is an important thing I’ve noticed. The industry’s production is determined by the demand. They won’t just keep producing if the cargo isn’t going anywhere. So like in the case Azrael mentioned if the iron mine doesn’t have a buyer it won’t just produce and stock pile it, it will just sit there producing nothing at all until it can send it’s materials to a buyer (steel mill) within 20 minutes of travel time (be that walking, bus, rail or a combination of all three). It is really a ‘pull’ system, not a ‘push’ system like you may expect.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by christiansok.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by christiansok.
    starman001
    Participant

*****************from dozer***************

The criteria is the 20 minute radius, simple by that.
    For example the steel mill, coal mine and iron mine.

*snip*

Dozer, thank you for that, I knew there has been a way somewhere 🙂  ! I was wondering why so many industries are not producing, I quickly have developed all existing trade lines, and then there were only passengers !

Will try that out tomorrow 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by starman001.
    Traian Trante
    Participant

Fist the steel mill needs both coal and iron. You have to make sure it has acces to both. Either there is a coal mine nearby or you set up a route by yourself. Then it needs a town to deliver its gods to. Without these things, there won’t be much iron going on your line.

LSky
    Participant

I’m still confused about this. I created three lines;

1) Coal Mine > Steel Mill

2) Iron Mine > Steel Mill

3) Steel Mill > Town

All lines have a frequency of about 2-5 minutes, but there is no production in any of the three industries. Theyre not very close to each other (except for the Steel Mill and Town, theyre pretty close). Does this mean that long distance connections for industries are simply not possible, or am I doing something wrong?

connorboy2000
    Participant

I created lines as stated above

1) Coal Mine > Steel Mill

2) Iron Mine > Steel Mill

3) Steel Mill > Town

and the lines are ticked as connected but after 2 years and double trains on each line their production is about 6-8!

How do i increase production, i have 100mil in the bank so can do anything but i just want a large freight line working!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.