Do you mix passengers & freight lines ?

Home Forums General Discussion Do you mix passengers & freight lines ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    theuros
    Participant

In RL tracks are shared between passengers and freight trains … but in RL also you have time tables and trains can have priorities… in TF we sadly don’t have this options….

I had a passenger line connecting 4 cities in a row. In the center between each city I had signals, to keep a good distance between trains. In the same direction I needed to transport some freight .. so I tried to use same line .. I had to put more signals on the track and all worked well, but in time passengers train lost the good distance between them and later in game passengers trains are faster than freight whic caused delays..

How you do it?  Do you use same tracks for all kind of transport ?

Yea I know .. the best thing is to separate them, but I want to create a realistic layout as much as possible. In my country dedicated freight lines are only from factory to main line which is used by all trains.

Skumle Rafte
    Participant

I wanted to, I started to. But the signal system is too weak at the moment and lack of waypoints does for so much frustration, trial and error.. mostly error that I just kept most lines separated.

FX2K
    Participant

I was using shared tracks for multiple trains and lines, but small changes / additions would affect every single line which used the shared track, causing a bit of a headache to sort out.. in the end, I made it so each line has its own exclusive track.

I still have a central 4 station platform which has trains (lines) entering from both sides for each platform, but even this can mess up causing all trains to want to swap tracks (if a crossing exists) and a change is made, causing a nightmare on the lines.

I didn’t realise what was going on at first but after some playing around realised that all the lines recalculate their paths when you make such changes.. you can force a recalculation too with different results.

See the images here:  http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/waypoints-desperately-needed/#post-11462

nedson
    Participant

The above station design is the only way I have found to somewhat control the lines. It forces (via one way signals) a train to stop at the station and turn around in platform and head back the other way. Through trains will use the outside platforms and do not get held up by stopping trains – also, the trains from each end of the station get a dedicated platform. It’s working well, but what I really want is a slow and fast line. This can be done at the moment, but the lines will choose any path they feel like – waypoints are essential. Later on with the above network design you get  congestion as freight/local/intercity trains all use the same line. Junctions also become congested.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by nedson.
    Enzojz
    Participant

In reality, best way to avoid delay is to make flat timetables – that means all trains run at same speed and stop.

Enzojz
    Participant

@nedson put two stations side by side with 2 tracks in the middle, you will have passing through station

theuros
    Participant

in short … currently is not possible to create a good network.  I hope some patch will arrive soon.

nedson
    Participant

@Enzojz – I think what I do achieves the same thing but with one station entrance, unless I misunderstand. I just found multiple entrances not as efficient at developing towns. Multiple stations in a town works though – when you link them with trams.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by nedson.
    Maj_Solo
    Participant

I do not mix any lines anymore. It can not be done. It might work for awhile then you wish you had built separate lines to begind with when you are sitting there teáring down what you build and killing lines and rebuild.

Efterthing needs to be thought through and you need the end game in sight even as you build your first little cargo route.

Traian Trante
    Participant

I do mix the lines just for he fun of it, but the main problem right now is that towns and industries are just too close to each other to get a decent network going. If i build a proper station, with all the signals and intersections a real station would have, i’m already in the next town !!!!!

Besides bigger maps, we need some options to control the map (like sparce cities, etc…)

Bastargre
    Participant

i agree with Traian Trante.

to get a decent  network of switches around stations takes to much room which results in not being able to mix lines

Tossi
    Participant

Aren’t you overexaggerating a bit? Below is a screen of a station with all its junctions and it is well within boundaries of a single city.

NeighborKid
    Participant

I don’t have too much of an issue currently mixing my freight and passenger lines.  I just had one a complete circle loop of about 6 cities and 5 of them being supplied by a freight line. All i’d do is make certain that I have some one way only signals. Have the freight line break off to it’s on station and then rejoin the main line. Worked ok. I’m still having issues with freight in general.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.