DRM-free version?

Home Forums General Discussion DRM-free version?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MrReset
    Participant

Hi there,

Train Fever looks very interesting, but i don’t purchase any drm-games.

So i ask you, if there is a drm-free version aviable/planned?

Thanks a lot!

nereksnad
    Participant

I don’t consider steam to be DRM, i never have. There’s some steam games that install DRM on your system, with limited machine activations. that’s what i consider DRM.

bencze
    Participant

I sort of understand the standpoint, but it’s like, you have something against locks and you don’t like people who install locks on their houses. Everything they got would be stolen so… drm free world is like beliving in fairy tales, isn’t it?

grimdanfango
    Participant

Well, it would be more if every highstreet shop you visited required you to sign up for an authentication card, and required that you use that card every time you wanted to enter the shop, and every shop uses a different card… and they all got burgled all the time anyway, so the only people it was inconveniencing are paying customers.

The key thing I find with Steam is that it absolutely minimized inconvenience, makes patching and updating completely transparent, offers a bunch of other useful features, and actually functions as a reasonably effective copy protection system.  Plus it’s a single solution accessible to all developers, that almost all games can be accessed through.

It’s not perfect, but it’s a hell of a lot better than most.

MrReset
    Participant

Hi all,

for me STEAM, uPlay, Origin Kalypso Launcher etc. is all the same crap. There is no benfit for me as customer. If someone wants to use STEAM, why not, but i don’t want forced to use software i don’t want to use. Please consider a release on gog.com …

“I sort of understand the standpoint, but it’s like, you have something against locks and you don’t like people who install locks on their houses. Everything they got would be stolen so… drm free world is like beliving in fairy tales, isn’t it?” I have purchased the game, why has the publisher to install a lock in MY house??? Look on gog.com and you see there is no fairy tale, it’s a question of customer satisfaction …

If TF is released drm-free i purchase it, if not i don’t …

Person012345
    Participant

I feel like what you’re really asking is “I’d like to play train fever but I don’t want to pay for it, please release a version I can easily pirate”.

Steam is good because whilst it’s a form of DRM, it’s generally non-intrusive to your gaming experience and generally not a giant PITA and it negates the need for aforementioned intrusive PITA DRM which is what most people have a problem with.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Person012345.
    Varana
    Participant

While I use Steam (although a bit reluctantly), I find it quite offensive to suggest that someone who doesn’t want to is only looking to pirate the game. There are good reasons to reject Steam and comparable services, without piracy coming into play.

Person012345
    Participant

More someone who wants to refuse a company any and every right to protect their product from illegal copying. The only way he says he will get it is if it’s 100% DRM free, no matter how unobtrusive that DRM might be.

bencze
    Participant

Guess the world is not black and white. All drm proven to be some sort of an inconvenience, with steam I get some benefits as well, as the huge library, offers and whatnot. Also if Valve wouldn’t be, perhaps developing games on Linux wouldn’t have started. Nowdays I play as much as I can on Linux and watch Netflix without commercials on Linux, if these drm systems didn’t exist I’d be playing on Win and watching commercials on tv in between the shows (which I didn’t for like past 5-6 years). The take one freedom offer another can sometimes be a good trade off imo.

I know gog and purchased a couple old games there, but I never seen any serious / up to date titles. I guess as much as we want our rights, publishers also want to exercise their right to ask money for their product instead of letting it to be pirated. It’s a right just as fair ours.

Guess it’s cost vs benefit as with everything.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.