Finally purchased TF – some observations

Home Forums General Discussion Finally purchased TF – some observations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sub39h
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m unlikely to be adding anything new, but I purhased this game at the weekend and I wanted to post some of my thoughts and criticisms. I have really enjoyed the game so far, but it does definitely feel unfinished and needs some tweaks.

My first major criticism has been discussed before. It is in relation to dynamic platforms. My first train line was doing exceptionally well, and all of a sudden i started losing lots of money.  Identified that a train was blocking the only platform that was being utilised in my 3 platform terminus. I corrected the signalling and it was no longer a problem, but dynamic platforms would definitely be a welcome inclusion in in the game. Some other members have said that they would not be realistic, and I would totally agree when talking about a specific time (I.e. 11:56 on a Monday) but the timetabling is not that detailed and certainly at any terminus I’ve ever been to different time services on the same route use different platforms to depart from. Thus dynamic platforms are a necessary inclusion to more realistically represent a terminus, at least in the UK.

Track formations are a little disappoining. Some very basic formations such as 3-way points, diamond crossings, slips and 90deg crossings have not been included. This is a rather basic omission I feel. also double bridges seem impossible to build. This does need looking at.

Not not being able to build road crossings once rails have been laid is, in my opinion, fairly realistic in MODERN practice. But not being able to in Ye Olde Times is also a rather basic omission. Perhaps beyond a certain year this his is no longer allowed.

It would also be good to see custom stations. Not all stations are one of 3 lengths, with the station building in the middle. So much of the game is procedurally generated, it would be good to see you be able yo place a station building, some nearby track and some platforms. This would allow more variety in station types (for example, maybe a 4 track main line with the fast lines in the centre and only the slow lines having platforms).  Curved platforms is also something that needs adding quickly.

Finally, I’m still having a lot of stability issues with my PC running TF. From what I can see it’s not my hardware or software and I don’t recall ever having a blue screen of death before installing TF. For example, it always crashes if I try to load up TF via the Start Menu instead of within Steam. I hope this can be improved upon.

I’m sure all of the above have been mentioned before, but I would like to mention them again so hopefully the developers take notice based on the number of requests. At the minute it’s a good game, but I’d like to see it become a very good or a great game with the addition of the above features.

I’d be interested in hearing other players’ thoughts. Otherwise thanks to the developers for bringing this game to market. I hope you can polish it and make it realise it’s true potential.

FX2K
    Participant

My first major criticism has been discussed before. It is in relation to dynamic platforms.

Personally, I would rather have control over the trains route a bit more, without it re-calculating and swapping tracks / platforms, which results in merging of lines to use one platform.  Way points and/or platform selection is on the to-do list, I can’t wait for this.

Track formations are a little disappoining. Some very basic formations such as 3-way points, diamond crossings, slips and 90deg crossings have not been included. 

This is one of my main disappointments.  Performance being the first.
    I don’t think the dev’s have commented on the many requests for extra crossing configurations either, which is a shame.  For a game called Train Fever, I would expect to be able to create some realistic layouts, instead of awkward crossings which span miles of track.

It would also be good to see custom stations. 

I would love small stations for the rail-bus (inner city perhaps), I wouldn’t mind if it was not custom as such, but a few more would help.  Smaller, entrance at both sides, entrance at one end etc.

Finally, I’m still having a lot of stability issues with my PC running TF.

I don’t have stability issues as such, but do have performance issues, mostly relating to the UI.
    I do still love the game though…

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.