First play through from 1850

Home Forums General Discussion First play through from 1850

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Colonel Failure
    Participant

Hello friends, I’m new to Train Fever and so far loving it, despite not being particularly brilliant.

I’ve not seen anyone else shamelessly advertising their YouTube efforts so please forgive me and delete this thread if that’s not permitted here. I’ve started the game with medium settings across the board and aim to learn as I go so any feedback is very welcome.

Colonel Failure Salutes Train Fever (in colour)

Blokker_1999
    Participant

I guess it’s simply because it basicly is a never ending game. Yes, after eatly 21st century you don’t get any new equipment. But the game could in theory grow untill the entire map is one big city.

Even if you just play the game entirly at 4x the normal speed, reaching the year 2050 would still take a lot of hours of gameplay. People have made youtube movies about gameplay and tips on how to get a good start or do certain stuff.

Colonel Failure
    Participant

That makes sense. I guess I’ll keep up the playthrough for as long as it feels interesting.

kimmaz
    Participant

Interesting videos! Ive just watched the first 2, ill keep watching for tips and inspiration. Its fun to see how others play the game. I’m also playing with everything on medium and am currently in 1870. I just build t my first train.

You was looking for feedback. I have a tip regarding raw materials (coal, oil ect) set the line order to fill up, or leave station when full(any). Then keep adding trucks/horses until there is always a vehicle waiting at the station but never more than 2 waiting. It makes it very efficient, and also space out the vehicles along the line/road between pickup and delivery. If your gonna do it for goods the goods line must have perfect amount of vehicles because if 3 or more vehicles clump together on the pickup station, the raw material line gets stuck (assuming they use the same station)

In your first episode, i saw a lot of coal being transported “by itself” rather than using your service. I think having more trucks will make it so that coal also use your service.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by kimmaz.
    simonmd
    Participant

Ive seen a few on there but it’s always good to see more people making new content for it on YouTube. One of the best I’ve see n is the ‘Train Fever 101’ series from Monterico Gaming.

Colonel Failure
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. The idea about goods buffering is really interesting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Colonel Failure,

I’ve discovered your YouTube channel even before your promoted it here and I like your comments, especially on the curiosities of Train Fever (e. g. buses without drivers etc.).

Just watched episode 10 of your TF ventures and it appears that you don’t know yet that you can’t build roads over rails, that’s a limitation of the game (I forgot the location of the tutorial video that showed the reason for that; I thought the YouTube user/channel was called “wohlstandskind” but apparently it isn’t existing). However, you can easily build a road bridge or tunnel by pressing the M or N keys while you have dragged a road.

Colonel Failure
    Participant

That’s really helpful to know. I try not to make road or rail excessively different to the “normal” elevation when I can as it can spoil the look of the land, but at least I now know which way they can overlap 🙂

I’m hoping I can keep this build going until at least the year 2000 but in every other game I’ve tried so far I always expand too fast and end up out of money in a hurry.

If you let me know your name I’ll give you a mention next time I have to cross road and rail – or I can use your binary handle 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Col. Failure, don’t worry about mentioning me, I’m just a byte in the world wide web. 🙂

Anyway, I’ve just watched your episode #16 and I think I’ve got another hint for you:
    Regarding that four- (or five-)track level crossing, I suspect (for, I can only watch other people play Train Fever, and not play it myself) that the reason for the conflict is the lack of space for the crossing signs/barriers. You know, two parallel railway tracks can either be “connected” (when they snap to each other while building) or separate, and parallel tracks that are connected form one level crossing with signs/barriers at each side of all tracks instead of each track. When you built the first two tracks over the street it formed one level crossing. As you tried to build the second pair of tracks (and let’s disregard that boulder for now, as that doesn’t matter to the crossing problem), that would have created a second, independent level crossing with new signs/barriers, but these take space, too, and there wasn’t enough of it next to the first level crossing. After all, cars and people would need some space to stop, too, without standing on the first crossing and possibly being run over by a train. For that same reason (connected tracks forming one level crossing altogether) you were not able to just remove the (fifth) middle track because that would disconnect the tracks and would have to turn the single crossing into two, for which there wasn’t enough space. Get it?

On a related note: When you tried to connect that redundant middle track to either side this wouldn’t work because the track was connected with (snapped to) the left track (viewing direction from the station towards the street) while it was separate from the right track – you can see that by the small ditch between tracks that are not connected while there is no such ditch between tracks that are connected; obviously the surrounding tracks were too far apart for the middle track to connect to both sides. So, it was asking you to build this in two steps which I think means that you should drag a track out without trying to connect it to another parallel track just yet, and only after you’ve placed that switch, connect the other track to it. Of course, that wouldn’t work in this case because the tracks, despite being parallel but “separate” were still too close together — what a dilemma. But besides this, I think there was also not enough space for a second switch on the middle track because of the already existing switch there which forms an own section of track.

Blokker_1999
    Participant

Well, I had a quick look at ep16 for that railroad crossing, and indeed. The problem is that the crossing on the road needs more space than you can see. While very easy to solve in real life, the game lacks the logic to combine the 2 crossings into one big one.

And 10010110, you appear to be right about the second part as well. Except there was room for the second switch, if the first switch was in the way, it would light up red more towards the station.

Colonel Failure
    Participant

Thanks for such an in depth walkthrough 10010110, it makes complete sense.

To be honest I’ve no idea what I want to do with that 5th track at this time, I was mostly attempting to line it up to give options, so it’s not the end of the world that I’m trying to fit too much into too little space.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Watched episode #22 but not all of it. I suspect the pathfinding problem (and the missing route highlight, and no interval shown in the route list) is either because there is some piece of track that’s not electrified yet, or a connection missing, so that the train cannot reach its goal/station. You need to be really careful when building tracks, so that you don’t end up with lots of tiny segments (e. g. in places where you build multiple switches after one another). There used to be a video tutorial about track building basics on YouTube but I can’t find it anymore.

Colonel Failure
    Participant

I’m giving nothing away as the 3rd part of this routing nightmare will be online tomorrow, however I’ve learned a massive amount from this experience and for as frustrating as it’s been it was well worth it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Meanwhile, I’ve found that tutorial I was looking for (as a matter of fact, the YouTube channel is called “Wohlstands Kind”, not “wohlstandskind”): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h3I2lwQo8s — unfortunately (at least for the non-speakers) it’s in German but basically it explains why you cannot build X-crossings and how tracks are segmented when you build switches. Perhaps your rudimentary German language skills you’ve (hopefully) learned in school help you here. If not, just ask.

Colonel Failure
    Participant

I’m pretty certain much rudimentary German knowledge will allow me enough insight to follow the video – thanks for posting it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.