Gridlock when using A-B-C-B

Home Forums Support Gridlock when using A-B-C-B

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Traian Trante
    Participant

I’m using this type of routes quite often: Station A goes to B goes to C goes to B. In station B i have 2 lines reservedespecially for that line, while in stations A and C there is 1 line reserved for that line.

However, when i modify a route, not this route, a different one, the trains in these kind of lines go to gridlock. Sometimes the route i modify is not even remotely close to this line, and can cause a gridlock in the other part of the map.

My guess is that once i modify a line the game rearanges all the lines, and because of that sometimes the trains go trough the branch they shouldn’t and they meet face to face. Just to be clear, one of the trains is on the wrong line, and the game shows that is on the wrong line.

Happy hunting !

FX2K
    Participant

This happens far too often and is extremely frustrating, but… they have said they are looking to implement waypoints / platform selection, which should solve all these kinds of issues.

“Still there is a large to-do list. One top priority issue is way points or at least line track selection at stations. “

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    Traian Trante
    Participant

i’m checking the site every 8 hours for the patch that allows us waypoints….

snowball
    Participant

I never experienced this Problem, did you use this layout? (Red arrows are one-way-signals)

FX2K
    Participant

i’m checking the site every 8 hours for the patch that allows us waypoints….

Most patches have been released on Fridays, if I remember correctly

I never experienced this Problem, did you use this layout? (Red arrows are one-way-signals)

Lines changing to different paths happens quite a lot for a variety of setups, especially if there are tracks crossing.

If I get time, I will mock up some examples of where this can happen, but here is a screenshot or three showing how two lines can merge to use a single track and then be forced back to how it was (sep tracks) by switching a signal from on to off and back on again… I have lots of examples where adding a signal can rectify the line, then bulldozing it leaves the line as intended.. until another change the other side of the map causes it to re-evaluate

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/waypoints-desperately-needed/#post-11462

Platform selection / waypoints will prevent this.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    Tattoo
    Participant

they have said they are looking to implement waypoints / platform selection, which should solve all these kinds of issues.

This will be sweet when they implement it. This alone will make the game a LOT better and can hardly wait til they do it. I just hope they do something so there is more cargo to move so there is a need for longer trains. The way it is now, only short trains work well in most situations which IMO is boring.

The RedKing
    Participant

I’ve got this gridlock problem too. It happens when there is more than 1 track to be used for the same route. e.g., when you’ve got 4 rail-tracks connecting 2 (4-track)stations, all one way. Setting up the route, it will choose track 1 for A to B, and track 2 for B to A.

To connect a depot, I’ve added switches somewhere in the middle (using correct signals).

Now, when the route suddenly changes, now using track 3 and 4 due to another modification else were, I sometimes end-up with some of the trains on track 1 and 2, and some of them on track 3 and 4. As they try to switch back to the same tracks, they jam each-other. Especially when the causing change also changes the usage of track 3 and 4, as I did not expect any trains to be on these.

Waypoints, waypoints, waypoints….Can’t wait. Hope tomorrow’ll be the day

Traian Trante
    Participant

I think this happens: when you change the network the trains reset and they try to go to the nearest station to resume their course, on the line they were before the change. However, when using constructs like A-B-C-B, sometimes they go to the B that is in the wrong direction and end up on a path they shouldn’t be.

Tossi
    Participant

IMO this is also a poor network design on your part. No gridlocks will happen if everything is designed properly.

FX2K
    Participant

IMO this is also a poor network design on your part. No gridlocks will happen if everything is designed properly.

I can’t agree with that.

I have a dual track line going A>B>C>D>E>D>C>B>A

Stations B,C,D,E accept the trains on a different platform for each direction, similar to snowball’s screenshot but more double track between more stations, with no crossings between and a series of one way lights to keep them flowing as smooth as possible.

I added a junction to the track, just to add a depot and two of the trains, which where at a station at the time, decided they wanted to still be at the same station, but in reverse… meaning they wanted to be on the other platform for C / D respectively.

Each time I tried to correct them, they turned back around facing the wrong way again as if the game was forcing them to a particular station / part of the route, but to get to the other platform meant they would have to go to the end of the line to get to the other side of the track.  No path was shown for one of them, which is why I think they wanted to be on the other platform, even though the line had been working perfectly fine for years and all trains where identical.

The only way I could fix it, was to stop the two ‘wrong way’ trains running, set them to reverse, bulldoze a section of the track they where on and rebuild it.  This time, after setting them to running again, they went on their merry way as if they where no longer forcing themselves to visit the wrong platform.

So it seems, they changed the path from

A>B>C (stopped here) and wanted to continue as if they where now on the C>B>A leg of the journey, instead of the C>D>E leg..

Hard to explain, but I hope that made some sense.

Traian Trante
    Participant

Yeah, that’s exactly what happened to me several times. One tiny change to the network and some of the trains go nuts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.