Hang on… trucks can now only carry ONE type of cargo?????

Home Forums General Discussion Hang on… trucks can now only carry ONE type of cargo?????

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    simonmd
    Participant

Ok, who DUMB idea was this? I understand finally changing the bug that allowed coal and ore to be carried in the same wagon but whats with the road truck that can now only carry ONE type of item??

Tell me WHY this truck can ONLY carry oil for example?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514341507

This makes NO economic sense, either here or in the real world. The trucks are clearly shown as multi purpose vehicles, why cant one drop off a barrel of oil and then pick up a box of goods? Now you have twice as many trucks, half of them empty all the time, its totaly ridiculous!

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by simonmd.
    PickPay
    Participant

I didnt realize that, it does sound really bad. I thought carrying ore or coal was fine. Trucks gonna be a pain to manage…

ErstO
    Participant

Sorry mate,   my boss says this is a union thing,  my agreement only covers goods,  you want to haul coal,  thats a different union.   And Iron?  watch out,  those union thugs are strong as steel and will shut that plant down if they spot a coal hauler caring iron ore.

simonmd
    Participant

Well tell your union boss that i’m going to have to lay off some of his workers because our income just went down.

Grek
    Participant

call me when you will be able to load iron ore in oil cistern
    (picture… lol)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Grek.
    simonmd
    Participant

Dont be an idiot, you know damn well there is a rather large difference between some oil barrels on a FLAT BED PICKUP TRUCK than a dedicated tanker!!!

Grek
    Participant

b – butthurt

ErstO
    Participant

Not joking this time,  but I do agree with simonmd … with conditions.

In the early years he is correct,  there were no specialty vehicles or companies, few of which were providing specialty delivery to one customer,  oil and gas was delivered in barrels and loads of coal and iron ore were transported in crates loaded on the same flatbeds.

But around 1900 that started to change (real word, not TF),  bulk oil carries started to appear,  bulk haulers started to show up, and the volume increased so much its doubtful any company getting a contract to haul coal would use the same trucks to haul iron ore.

With that said it would make sense to let any lorry carry any load up until around 1920, then you would need to have segregated routes.

The same could be said with trains,  I watched many loaded coal trains snake out of the mountains of West Vergina, and many empties climb back up,  I cant think of any reason the railroad would use the same gondolas for iron ore. But before 1900 demand was low enough to allow swapping cars to a different route, to carry different loads.

So that leaves us with implementation,  do we ask the programers to provide a separate set of rules governing loads for the first 50 years, then the rules that are used for the remaining 170 plus years?

Naaa, it’s a game, just a new challenge for us to figure out.

Noseman
    Participant

Excuse me, but I have nothing to say more than my comment in other thread, so I just copypaste it here:

————————–
    Just add “any” cargo selection. Means “appropriate to the type of car”.

For example, coal and iron both goes into hopper. So why not let a hypothetical “manager” of she station decide, what can be load at this time?

Of course, there should be a tanker truck to deliver oil by roads, but since there is barrels – I’d stuck with “any available” selection by default.

So, selection for horse cart would be like that:

-Any (default)

-Wood

-Oil

-Iron

-Coal

-Goods

And for railroad hopper wagon:

-Any (default)

-Iron

-Coal

——————–

If we have an oil tanker – than only liquids can be hauled with this.

If we have multi-purpose van – let the hypothetical “manager” decides, what have to be loaded into the truck.

PickPay
    Participant

They should have given a choice of trucks for specialized cargo (which could give more capacity, faster etc) AND have all cargo type trucks !

gcampono
    Participant

@PickPay I really like your idea. Definitively gives something more to ponder when designing lines! +1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.