Higher Cargo Rates

Home Forums Modding Higher Cargo Rates

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    imajor
    Participant

How?

douglas
    Participant

This is also my biggest problem in the game. I heard that now the industries produce up to 400. But I don’t think this will solve the problem.

Mike
    Participant

Well, it actually solves!

The key is to deliver goods to towns who demand them, and mining industries will follow.

Even with the very first version of the game I had one Oil Well, train to Oil Refinery, and from there i delivered goods to 5 cities, close ones by trucks, further ones by trains. The production went up to 200 in 2 years; and with cities growth, in 20-25 years 400 production was not enough for 5 cities, so i had to use more sources.

All and beautiful trains with 8-10 tank wagons, and now with easily customizable wagons capacity you can have really long trains if you wish.

imajor
    Participant

What do you mean by “customizable wagons capacity”?

Mike
    Participant

You can mod every detail of any vehicle in the game. You can open with Notepad the corresponding .mdl file and change the specs you want. That’s what I did for Tank Wagons for example – reduced capacity and maintenance cost, so more wagons are needed for the same amount of cargo, thus making trains longer and keeping yearly costs the same.

I don’t remember the exact path to model files, but it should be something like ..\res\model\models\vehicle\train\.

Also one of the latest game patches introduced simplified modding – you can script your mods in the \mods folder and enable/disable them dynamically inside the game. I think they released a special documentation on that.

douglas
    Participant

@clk_mike Well I can see 2 problems in your statement. 1). 8 to 10 wagons are not big enough. This is what I consider a nice train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfmRaVYOsuI

And 2 years to reach 200 is way too much. Most of the time 2 years in debt can ruin your company finance forever.

There should be a way to decrease the expected frequency. I mean, a train pick up coal once a year is not realistic, but at the same time the train travels on real time. So basically mining should have no frequency limit. If I pick up once every 10 years is good enough. Because time is completely useless in the game.

imajor
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, you are saying that the 20 minute rule kills the cargo trains? If so, I completely agree with you. At least the 20 minute rule should respect the distance, so it should give you more time if the source is far.

douglas
    Participant

Yes! The infamous 20 minute rule. I forgot that!

imajor
    Participant

I think I stopped playing this game when I realized that I will never be able to make huge cargo trains crossing the map because of the 20 minute rule. But I would love to return if this rule would be modified somehow (maybe it is aready modified? Haven’t checked in a while)

douglas
    Participant
    Mike
    Participant

But guys, the station limit in TF is 350 m, depending on the tank size this will allow you 20-25 wagons max, so anyways the huge badass trains of 150+ wagons aren’t possible here 🙂

So 20 minutes rule fits quite well to all the rest in the game.

Don’t forget: never specify “wait for full load” for any trains – it kills the production.

@douglas
    : 2 years too long? It’s like 20 min in the game or about 10 return trips of a train… Works ok for me..

imajor
    Participant

I wish the station limit would be the only one preventing me from using long trains. When I was trying, the longest train I could make was like 8 wagons, when I delivered the goods to 6 different cities, to maximize the demand.

I don’t understand why are you saying that the 20 minute rule fits the game. Have you tried transporting cargo over long distances? I might be wrong, I haven’t tested the latest version of the game.

Mike
    Participant

Yes I’m doing quite long distances, but I have to use several trains to fit under 20 minutes. Here are the rules I usually follow:

– if the distance is short (< 2-3 km approx) – one track, one train, no signals
    – if distance 3-15 km – double track (one way each), two trains, two signal ranges (just 1 signal at the exit of every station, to keep trains from getting too close to each other and creating gaps)
    – > 15 km distance – double track, more trains, more signal ranges, depending on the distance

My general rule – check the interval for your line in “Lines” window. It should NEVER be more than 10 minutes, otherwise cargo production will drop (other 10 minutes are needed to get cargo to/from the station). The key to keep it under 10 minutes is the number of trains and their speed.

Yes my cargo trains go at least 100 km/h, but yes they can be long and yes they can travel far.

I once did a very long Iron Ore line, the length of one full side of the biggest map. I had 5 trains about 20 wagons each travelling at 120 km/h and 6 signal ranges to keep them apart. Together with shorter Coal line it served goods for 3 cities, and it was working well. The income for each train trip was about 1M 🙂
    Not the Arizona-4-locos-150-wagons-30-mph beasts but it was working and I had my fun with it…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Mike.
    douglas
    Participant

@Mike: Who said 150 waggons? I would be extremelly happy with 20, 25 wagons, just look at the video of my post. But in real life (game life) if you can fill 15 wagons is already a reason to celebrate.

@imajor
    : Exactly. 20 min rule is not only to keep trains short, but also keep distances short. Which is really bad considering in real life cargo travel across countries.

@Mike second post: You don’t understand the 20 min rule, because using more than 1 train makes absolutely no difference in the rule. Its not 20 min frequency, is 20 min total travel time. It doesn’t matter how many train you put in the line.

imajor
    Participant

Actually I think it matters. More trains means less frequency, so the stuff has to wait less time at the station before it would be transported. As far as I know both the number of trains and the time to take the travel matters. But if you want to transport for long distances, where the travel time itself is close to 20 min, no matter how much trains you run, you will not fit into the 20 min rule. And even if you would, who wants to see coal transporting trains following each other with 2-3 wagons? I want a long slow train with dozens of full wagons.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • The forum ‘Modding’ is closed to new topics and replies.