HOW does the new mod thing work?

Home Forums Support HOW does the new mod thing work?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    simonmd
    Participant

I feel embaressed to be asking this, it’s something that SHOULD be simple but I can’t work it out! UG just dumped a patch on us with NO explenation on whats changed and I can’t find any guides anywhere! I have tried putting mods in the new ‘Mod’ folder, nothing. I have tried unzipping them as well, nothing. Please stop me feeling like an idiot!

olahaldor
    Participant

The creators of mods need to update their mods to support the new way TF handles mods.

I’ve already updated my NSB Stadler Flirt mod. Feel free to download it and have a look at what’s needed.

There’s an upcoming update for the TFModManager on tf.net which will do some automatic ‘conversion’ from the old system to the new. Don’t know when it comes though.

simonmd
    Participant

Yes, i’ve kind of got my head around that but what about mods like your excellent FLIRT that have been converted, what do I do with it? Do I install it with TFMM or put it in the mods folder manually or what?

Skiwee
    Participant

You’ll need to unpack the zip folder into Train Fever’s mods folder. for steam users;
    ~\Steam\SteamApps\common\Train Fever\mods
    Each mod will have it’s own folder, like so:

simonmd
    Participant

I tried that with the Stadler Flirt but in the game the mod boxes are empty. Is there no official guide from the devs about this? Surely such a major change has SOME kind of documentation or readme file?

olahaldor
    Participant

You need to download the updated version On train-fever.net – as I have adapted my mod to the USA DLC patch. Then it will appear in the mod list in the game menu.

simonmd
    Participant

This is all very odd, I do indeed have the 1.6.1 version and have both the ziped and extracted folders in the mods folder in the TF root directory.

Have now changed it to just this….

http://picpaste.com/trainfolder-cBqrT6Lm.jpg

Is this right? If so, nothing is showing in the game mod select boxes still.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by simonmd.
    Pasi
    Participant

I wish somebody would come up with simple step by step quide on how normal user can add mods into the game now and what needs to be taken into account. Like how do i know which mod is supported by a new system and which is not, or wise versa, which mod supports it. I know Gwinda’s TFGM does many things, but is that the only way?

Varana
    Participant

simonmd: For some reason, you’ve got a folder that is named like the ZIP file was.

Inside the ZIP there is a folder called “olahaldor_nsbstadlerflirt_1” – take a look at Skiwee’s picture.

If you extract the ZIP file to your mods folder, you should get that as a result.

simonmd
    Participant

Ahhhh, you extract the contents to the mods folder, got it! Thanks for that. What about TFMM, is that to be avoided now or can we use that as well? Personaly, I find it easier to download a ZIP, then use TFMM, why UG seems to think that having to manually unzip each one first, then adding it is easier, is beyond me.

olahaldor
    Participant

The creator of TFMM is working on it.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

Gwinda’s TFGM does the conversion automatically but there are still some problems, with some files.  I think he’s still working on it.

Does anyone know if there is any differentiation for mods for the USA DLC and the original European game?  It would be good if we could assign mods to either or both of these.  Otherwise the list of mods will become unmanageable.

Norfolk_Chris
    Participant

Looks like there are still many problems with Gwinda’s TFGM.

I have found that many of the mods (but not all) that have loaded successfully in TFGM, and then appear as expected on the in-game list, when added to a game just don’t work, both in the Europe and USA versions.

The in-game mod selection section menu also seem full of errors with lines of text overwriting other text, and a tendency to crash the game when making selections.

Seems like the games mod management system is broken!  Needs a fix from the Urban Games team.

simonmd
    Participant

Hmm, I think i’ll wait until there is a new TFMM then. So far, there are only two main mods I want to use, thats the signal pack and the depot pack. I can live without extra stock until then. The main rolling stock items I like to download are modern like Olahaldor’s superb FLIRT model mentioned here before but as i’m back in the 1800’s again due to a game crash, it’ll be a while before I can use it!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by simonmd.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.