[HOW TO] Adding a custom train

Home Forums Modding [HOW TO] Adding a custom train

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    olahaldor
    Participant

This is a quick and unedited look on how to add a custom train into the game.
    It’s recorded off the bat and uploaded asap, so I did no editing on this one.  I apologize for moments when I say something wrong or make mistakes. But at least it’s something to get you guys going. 🙂

KilrBe3
    Participant

Nice man, very nice indeed! This should help plenty for the mean time!

Fyi, I also linked this over at http://www.reddit.com/r/trainfever/ So more people know! All the better to support Modding!!!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by KilrBe3.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Very good looking model, is it made by you? Any plans on making other norwegian models? I think BM73 and EL18 would be very nice additions to the game.

olahaldor
    Participant

@aasgaard, yes the model and texture is made by me from scratch. 🙂 Had a lot of help from the train community in Norway with info and reference photos.

I’ve thought of doing the type 73 (Signatur), and have started gathering some reference photos. Someone else is also interested in doing it, so we’ll see who’s doing it in the end. If I’m not doing the type 73, I’m going to do the El 18. 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Awesome. I’m a locomotive engineer for NSB, and those two are my absolutte favourite trains to drive. Gotta love the tilting and comfort of BM73 and the robustness and power of EL18. Although I prefer the look of 73B over 73A, to be honest. It’s just cosmetics though.

olahaldor
    Participant

@aasgaard, awesome! If you happen to be able to take some reference photos, that would speed things up. 🙂 Contact me on my email address, post at olahaldor dot net, and we’ll talk! 🙂

Nique
    Participant

i wonder why the developers of Train fever choosed to dump al standards.. its really stupid the way they implemented the orientation in the game and also colors for industry, commercial and residential are weird. They should be yellow, blue and green. Now it’s mixed. I don’t want to be picky but i really have the feeling this whole game was just a hobby build up on a procedural city simulator program they were proud of. Lots and lots of simple ‘basics’ are missing, lots and lots of standards are thrown out of the window. Its so weird.. really. Makes it hard to adapt. I just don’t understand why people keep doing this. Keep standards!

olahaldor
    Participant

As I get a lot of emails and PMs, perhaps this should be made as a sticky to help others along their way?

Highspeed
    Participant

At around 12:45 you deal with the model file and somewhere at the bottom there are the attributes for the train like capacity, costs … but in the game they weren’t the same?!
    At least the capacity of pessengers is wrong: you wrote 50 and I saw in game there was it just 39 though the purchased has more than one waggon.

Omich
    Participant

Game divides capacity by certain constant.

PaTrond
    Participant

Does anyone happen to know how the export scale setup should be? I created my models in 1:1 in centimeters in 3DS Max, and it seems to be way off in the Model Viewer… Haven’t got to in-game testing yet, but should very soon.

Tattoo
    Participant

In the video that olahaldor did, he said it’s meters.

PaTrond
    Participant

^ That doesn’t mean 3DS Max’ meters are the same at export.

Omich
    Participant

In 3Ds Max you should scale model in generic units.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Modding’ is closed to new topics and replies.