how to get out of (tram and traffic) gridlock

Home Forums General Discussion how to get out of (tram and traffic) gridlock

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    raskil
    Participant

I’m playing on medium and using trams from a central town to link up to other towns – doing well and making money. I just updated my trams to Type T1 – but this gridlock has developed near the depot – and traffic is stuck! Months are rolling by. Is there any way to relieve this?

Here’s the image: http://raskil99.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/gridlock/

Thanks

Morat
    Participant

It looks like there are a few things going on here:

– Way too many trams. Like, far far too many for a hub stop that only has two ways in and out

– There are two trams turning in the road below the junction. I’ve seen this behaviour when I had stops out of order on the line and they had to pass the stop, turn around to stop at it and then turn around again after the stop to carry on. Once I put the stops in the proper order so the trams were running on the same side of the road as the stop it all cleared up.

– Do you only have stops on one side of the road? If you add them on both sides they’ll merge together into a single stop themselves.

– You have some stops without tram lines on the road, but I don’t see any buses. Do you have missing tram rails?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Morat.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Morat.
    bencze
    Participant
    Javis
    Participant

AFAIK it’s the cars from other towns that cause these enormous traffic jams. Cut them off and that’s that. Can’t do that if you connect towns via tram or bus lines… Therefore i always use railway to connect towns. Once i see a traffic jam i bulldoze just a piece of road at the town that the cars are coming from and the whole mess is cleared in a second. I do make sure that my industrie cargo lines are not affected by cutting off a piece of road.

I find that bus lines don’t work too well in cities, tram lines work much better. 3 cities are connected via double track railway running 4 trains. Has always been extremely profitable. Often trains have to leave a few pax behind because the’re fully booked.

raskil
    Participant

I worked out that clicking on the stuck trams and sending them back to the depot cleared up the jam. I then reassigned the trams to their original lines and everything rode on smoothly after that.

Matticus88
    Participant

In nearly all cases of jams or other strange behaviour i’ve seen is becuase of a missplaced stop so that the line has to loop back or do a U turn. Make sure all your stops are on the correct side of the road and the line goes to the stops in the correct order.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.