I need help with a simple station and its signals –

Home Forums General Discussion I need help with a simple station and its signals –

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    fcsaba
    Participant

So there is this station and its signals.

Train 1 is in the station on the right platform. However, Train 2 simply does not go to the left station, whatever I do. I tried different layouts, none of them works. Please help me, how should I arrange the signals? Thanks.

pleym
    Participant

Hey, as far as I know the trains on 1 line, uses the same platform. I think there only can be one platform per line. And if its an “end” station. it will be more tricky. But if you give each train its own line, it will use both platforms.

This is supposed to be a “End station”.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pleym.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pleym.
    jfjohnny5
    Participant

Trains on the same line will all use the same platform. Hopefully the devs “fix” this – technically it’s not broken, but it seems counter-intuitive.

fcsaba
    Participant

Thank you both! I find it a bit weird, it would more logical if you could set more than one trains to the same line and the platforms would be free for any line that needs to use it! Just like in OpenTTD.

fcsaba
    Participant

…which brings up another problem, that if I have 20 units of goods on a station, 15 of them belongs to Line 1 and 5 of them belongs to Line 2, the train assigned to Line 2 will only take 5 units of goods maximum even though it has free space for the rest of the goods.

Seriously, why did the devs do this way? It makes no sense at all.

bencze
    Participant

Maybe because that train goes to a different direction? (line 2)…

Tattoo
    Participant

@pleym, you do realize that your setup will NOT work because of the one-way signals by the station, right? The stations have signals built into them so there is no need for signals right before or after the station. The way you have it now, depending on what side of the track they are placed, the trains will either enter the station or leave the station but not both because of the one-way signals.

fcsaba
    Participant

Another weird bug (?).

2 of my lines use the same oil well, but the oil well only produces for one of them. Both lines leads to the same refinery and from the refinery to the same town.

How can I fix it?

matrix
    Participant

The well and refinery won’t produce more than amount of goods the town can accept. My guess is that one of your lines can transfer more than that, and it is faster, so all the oil goes to it.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by matrix.
    fcsaba
    Participant

Thanks, it makes sense, it’s already 33/33.

By the way, why on Earth do we have to figure it out by gathering little piece of information? Why isn’t there manual or something?

crossmr
    Participant

Trains on the same line will all use the same platform. Hopefully the devs “fix” this – technically it’s not broken, but it seems counter-intuitive.

That’s not counter intuitive at all. How many times do you show up at a train station and the train just changes the platform at the last moment? This would only be relevant in some kind of really busy cargo yard. passengers are queued up at specific platforms waiting their scheduled train. If you had it change platforms at the last moment, people would be angry and everyone would miss their train.

I’d really like to see the setups that people are making where they feel the need to have several different lines going through a station with some of them being held.

fcsaba
    Participant

That’s not counter intuitive at all. How many times do you show up at a train station and the train just changes the platform at the last moment? This would only be relevant in some kind of really busy cargo yard. passengers are queued up at specific platforms waiting their scheduled train. If you had it change platforms at the last moment, people would be angry and everyone would miss their train.

That’s not exactly how train works. For example in my town there are 9 platforms for passanger trains. On the Budapest – Békéscsaba line there are trains every hour (same line), but there is no fixed platform for this line. On the contrary, depending on the trains stopped in the station at the moment it can go to any platform from 1 to 9. Of course, the railway company is a bit more organized than us, so they knew it at least an hour before where to direct the incoming train, so passengers certainly don’t have to wait until the last moment (or change platform in the last minute).

And it’s quite unrealistic that trains have to wait to enter the station when there are free platforms. Nothing like that happens in real life. And it’s really weird in Train Fever too, OpenTTD was much better in this sense. Now I have to create identical and redundant lines for every new train.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by fcsaba.
    CrunchyBiscuit
    Participant
    Emeg
    Participant

Why do so many people place exit signals at platform ends? The platform end of a station is in Train Fever a signal too. That is also the case for a depot, having an internal exit signal. Signal technical seen is a station track two follow up signals, having the platform track between them. Further, it is not true that in TF a line can service at a station only one platform, that is even not true for a terminal station, as I have find out. Try to get familiar with the Train Fever game engine. Try to learn from the game community all the tricks and hidden game features you can use, there are many of them. The real stupid mistake that is made is publishing this game without (decent) manual.

Roanoss
    Participant

Emeg, the reason why people placing exit signals at platform ends is that nothing tells them that the platform itself has a built in signal. Second reason is that it looks like realistic, as we know in the real world there is a signal in front of the platform to let the train know when it can move along.

I would have a question though about this topic but a little different way.

I have a train station with 4 tracks. I have 4 train lines. We all know that you cannot assign a line to a specific platform, so you cannot say in advance that for example line#1 should arrive and leave all the time from platform #1. However, with planning, you can reach out the following situation:
    1)  with line and track planning, only direct routes available for the lines to arrive/leave one specific track only. Trains are phisically unable to select other tracks at the station apart from their ‘assigned’ ones.
    2) you slightly ‘weaken’ the above situation by allowing a train to arrive to two tracks and leave the possibility for the train to select the track it wants.

I know that in situation 2), the train will still use only one track, even that one occupied and other one, which should be also reachable, is free.

BUT

The game, from a moment to another, when I touch the train lines/signals etc, then it changes the track assignments by its own, for example if I upgrade a train line 300 metres away from the station, or very close to the station (does not matter), the game grabs the lines and randomly reassigns them. This sometimes causes 2 or more lines using the same track!
    Is this ‘normal’ in this game? If yes, is there anything to avoid it? Yes I know the only possible solution is the above mentioned situation 1), because in that case nothing can alter the station track usage. But that is not realistic, I would like to keep situation 2), even if the same line will not use 2 tracks.

In life, at a station, a train can go either to track #1, or #2, or #3 or even #4, dependent from the controllers or various situations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.