I need help with a simple station and its signals –

Home Forums General Discussion I need help with a simple station and its signals –

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Emeg
    Participant

Roanoss, regarding the use of two (or more) platforms at a terminal station. The trick is repeated route selection inside a specific line. In the picure below you can see that the route from station Alpha to station Bravo set twice, making that the route setting for line 1 has four steps. Trains in TF never drive randomly, so also the route setting inside the line is fixed to its internal program.

As you can see in the picture, a train that is driving for line 1 enters in its 2nd and 4th route stage station Bravo. During its 2nd stage the train goes to Bravo’s left platform and during its 4th stage the train drives to the right platform. This is also shwon by the stage numbers you can see above the platform tracks. This switching between both platforms is automatically done by the game a.i. using a toggle mechanism. In fact is the whole picture including how I have built the switches and the place where the entrance signal is built self-explanatory. I have deribelatery placed the entrance signal at the right side of the left track showing how you can force a line to drive its trains (as in England but also in Switserland) on the left side of a double railroad track.

The train that is entering the station is running in its 2nd route stage. The route to the left platform don’t interfare the route of the opposing train. Because TF use a route pathfinding model and not a block system (the TF signals works together with the invisible sensors in the switches) the entrance signal has cleared the train running at stage 2 to continue to the left platform. Also the opposing train on the 4th route stage is driving, it has been cleared to drive by the invisisible exit signal at the platform endstation. because its route don’t interfare with the other train it is already on its way to station Alpha.

Regarding the randomly reassigns of how the game (in fact how two way signals) created chaos. There is a hidden feature in the toggle mechanism between the two way and one way signal settings. I you don’t like how the two way signal has set the route, toggle back to the one way setting and then again to two way signal setting. Continue this toggeling  until the two way signal has set the route you wish. And of course allows the game that two or more lines can use (partly)  the same track.. as in real, that is not a bug but working as designed.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Emeg.
    Roanoss
    Participant

Right… I have realized 2 days ago that if I start bashing the ‘one way’ button on a signal close to the station, then the line-track assignments starts to change and after a couple hits, they reach to a point where all 4 lines are settled for the 4 different tracks. But come on this is crazy business 🙂

Especially if a train is inbound to the station and ‘suddenly’ the assignments changing, then the trains can stuck with each other very easily, if an other train is closing in as well to the same track from the same direction.

Whatever unfortunate situation we have, I have to accept that the only balanced, normal way of working in the game which gives you an unstressed situation is a direct track to the platforms for each lines. Although this limits my options for 5 tracks (OK, a second station can be built), and sometimes not easy to build it because of spacing issues, still looks like the most valid option 🙁

I hoped that someone will tell me a trick how to prevent the game to randomly reassign the lines on the tracks 🙂

Varana
    Participant

Yes, that behaviour is “normal” in this game; every time you substantially edit part of a line (like, interrupting and then rebuilding it, or placing certain signals), it is re-drawn. The decision which one of the available platforms to use, is apparently more or less random. The only solution currently is to force the line to re-evaluate until you get the desired distribution at the station.

Emeg
    Participant

Roanoss, with how I have built the switches between the station and the one way entrance signal at the other side of the switches are all deadlock possibilities eliminated. I don’t see any problem, the tracks to station Alpha are both set to one way traffic . And if things goes really wrong, you can always stop and reverse a train by using the specific hyperlinks in its pop up mini screen.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Emeg.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.