I see no difference in city growth with or without inside transport

Home Forums General Discussion I see no difference in city growth with or without inside transport

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    douglas
    Participant

I have all the cities in a map connected. 2 cities have the exact same connections, one to another and 1 more city. Exact same frequency since they are served by the same line. Receives 100% of demanded goods.

One have tram lines, 4 of them since decades. The other never got inside transportation.

One have 736 population, the other 738.

Whats up with city growth?

If the game mechanics is like this I will never make inside transport. If you make inside transport in all cities of the map you will be replacing trams/buses 24/7. The message of replace vehicles is there every single month. So annoying.

omoikane
    Participant

No. It affects population growth.

I experienced steep increase in population for replacing old slow bus lines to faster tram/bus lines.

Your result is because providing better transport will be affected both connected towns

Yeol
    Participant

Inside transport is not going to affect the city growth. Poeple can easily walk within 20 minutes from one end of the city to the other. They can get everywhere without public transport. So for the city it makes no difference.

Inside transport has 2 functions: get poeple arround FASTER, so they spend less time walking, and therefor have more time to go to take a train to another city. And, you get rich by transporting those poeple faster then they can walk… until automobile it taking over.

douglas
    Participant

Exactly, until automobile take over, making inside transport very hard to be profitable. Also with all the draw back of that I prefer to not border with it.

– Too many vehicles to replace all the time;

– Trams jam themselves sometimes in a impossible way to fix it;

– Increase traffic jam of cars;

– Hardly profitable;

– Not a noticeable increase in city development.

Klinn
    Participant

This may be a “your mileage may vary” situation. When I was trying to get a town of 750 people, it was barely growing and holding around 650 despite ample cargo supply and passenger train connections. I added a town transit service and bam! Another 100 population within a year.

But I rarely provide trams or buses mostly because, as you mentioned, it’s such a pain to regularly replace the vehicles all the time. I wish there was an automatic “replace/upgrade until I tell you not to” option associated with the route or road vehicle garage.

douglas
    Participant

Yes there is a boost in growth after you build a station. Any station, train or bus or tram. But what happens after the BAM ? Rate of growth is improved? Clearly not otherwise I wouldn’t have 2 cities in different conditions with same amount of inhabitants.

I think the cities in game is not suppose to grow too fast. They are limited to grow slow to not take over the entire map. And some new constructions and upgrades happen after you make a station to make you feel you have an influence on that. But after the first BAM all you get is steady growth. All cities have a slow steady growth.

Klinn
    Participant

Good point. All I noticed was the initial impact of transit, not any change on the actual long-term growth rate.

omoikane
    Participant

Yes. I don’t know city growth is limited or not but my biggest city has only 2300 people in 1966 is tiny for one ‘city’ (unless there’s no huge lag/framedrop probably caused by population)

Neldot
    Participant

I regularly add tram lines to my hub cities, and I currently got in a city a population of 1500 in only 80 years (1850>1930), on hard difficulty. The city has 2 train lines, 5 tram lines and 1 truck line for goods.

I think that the secret is having an high % of population using your lines in the city. In the city that I mentioned I have 90%, but I think that a 70/80% is enough to stimulate city growth. I see that cities with 50% or less have almost no growth. Of course, you must also have the goods need completely fulfilled.

To make the population use you service (and to have a good profit too), your lines must connect strategic points (using the zone map).

What a pity that in 1930 my game is already almost unplayable due to the high lag, there is too much people moving around. When a lot of cars will appear in 1940/50, my map will completely freeze….

omoikane
    Participant

Yes. I also suspect ‘high % of population using lines’ is important for growing. and with over 90% of usage, even I hit 1960 there’s not very much private car traffic in city roads.

Yeol
    Participant

I also don’t grasp entirely the conditions for when a town will grow. I concentrated all my effort on one town, and gave it the max (connections to many other town, multiple inner lines, full cargo,…). A neighbouring town grew bigger and faster then mine!

Bastargre
    Participant

i get the same thing as Yeol. neighbouring towns with no transport and no cargo supply sometimes grow faster then cities with inside transport + intercity transport + cargo supply

Tattoo
    Participant

To make the population use you service (and to have a good profit too), your lines must connect strategic points (using the zone map).

Zone map? What version of the game are you using because there are no maps in my version of the game.

Javis
    Participant

I think what Neldot means is the icon at the far right/bottom, Tattoo. It shows three options, with the second ( land use)  you’ll get a colored indication of where the specific zones are, residential, commercial, leisure, etc.

gobbybobby
    Participant

Click layers, show zones, its in the bottom right of the screen.

It shows residential commercial and industrial areas, lighter colours are higher value which usually means high rise/ high pop structures so putting your Bus/ tram stops there in feeder to the stations gives people a faster route to your railway.

I usually just have a route going in a straight line through the most densely packed part of the city, turning around at the last stop and coming back down the line, this enables people coming to the city routes to work/ home and people going out of the city a route to the train station (or bus station if your using road vehicles to connect a few citys) make sure you bus lane the route as the traffic gets retarded, bring on the traffic lights.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by gobbybobby.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.