Is more RAM the best option for Train Fever?

Home Forums Support Is more RAM the best option for Train Fever?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mrochester
    Participant

Hi all

I play Train Fever on both my desktop PC and my Mac.  The PC has 4GB of RAM and the Mac has 16GB.  Surprisingly, unlike most other games due to the slightly slower graphics card, the Mac performs better than my desktop PC does.  Is this purely down to the amount of RAM available?  I seem to get fewer pauses and stutters on the Mac.

Best wishes

M.

kimmaz
    Participant

When I bought my computer i got 16gb ram for under half the price of the graphics card, So I see no reason for why you would get any less. But Train fever fps is not a way to benchmark how good a computer is i think. Since I get better fps in games with better graphics. Its kind of like Dayz, no matter how many thousand cash you spend on hardware its still gonna lagg here and there and wont shut down without program not responding 😀

mrochester
    Participant

My question really is, is Train Fever limited by RAM more so than anything else?

kimmaz
    Participant

Well the cpu is calculating every single person and goods package ingame, where the are going and so on. The faster it can access data stored in the ram the better. My guess is that the speed of the ram is more important than the size.

But thb having 4gb ram is a bit 2006. I dont get why new cheap pc’s still come with that low amount. Its just like phones i guess, they want to make as much money selling stuff with 64gb storage before making 128gb once. I bet they could mass produce 512gb sd cards to the point where they was as cheap as 64gb once if the market demanded it.

Pasi
    Participant

As the game uses around 4 gigs of RAM, you definitely would benefit from at least doubling it. Ideally go for 16 gigs, and try to find the fastest type available.

simonmd
    Participant

I believe that RAM and CPU speed are the two big things, the graphics arnt that challenging, it’s more the amount of calculations per second that is important.

mrochester
    Participant

Well I built the computer myself in October 2011, so it’s just over 3 years old now.  I don’t think anyone had 4GBs of RAM in 2006!

kimmaz
    Participant

Well I dont know where you get that information. I had Ocz Reaper ram 4 sticks of 2gb each for a total of 8gb in year 2007. I found a old video where they review it uploaded that year even.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjzcAaGZrFA[/youtube]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.