Is The TGV Ever Profitable?

Home Forums General Discussion Is The TGV Ever Profitable?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Klinn
    Participant

I’ve only tried the small and medium map sizes so far. On a medium size maps, zipping nonstop from roughly one side to the other, my TGV routes usually only attract about 1-1/2 passengers per run. Not quite enough to offset the 1.4 mil yearly operating costs. 😉  This is after letting the route run for a few years so ridership, such as it is, stabilizes.

(bigger image here: http://www.designamatic.com/GraphicsTrainFever/TrainFever-TGV04-Medium.jpg )

(bigger image here: http://www.designamatic.com/GraphicsTrainFever/TrainFever-TGV03-Medium.jpg )

Sure looks pretty, but has anyone made a TGV pay off?

Luewen
    Participant

I havent been managed to do that either.

Banter_NMBS
    Participant

I actually have. After reloading the save maybe… 5 times after bankruptcies and really being hell-bent on making the damn thing work. I got it to return 5 million annually so far with a ridership of approximately 50-60 passengers.

Basically, there’s 2 TGV’s on one line. The line runs from the city I started with in 1900 in the middle of the [large] map to a city up north. In city A, there’s a central station with 5 platforms and 10 converging tracks on both sides (the construction of which nearly crippled me for 4 years after a cost of 40 million). In city B, there’s a station on the edge of the residential area. Both cities are fed goods and other lines to closer cities in between. The cities also have bus coverage over roughly 75% of the city area.

I’ve noticed the TGV is largely being used for work-house traffic. People board the bus at their residential stop in City B, take the train, arrive in City A, take the bus to their work and return. It’s also being fed random people that want to go to City A for leisure by the other routes for some reason.

Basically, to cut a long story short:

If you want to make it work, prepare to invest a lot. And targeted. The TGV needs to connect two cities that actually benefit from each other, you can’t just turn your entire network into TGVs. Lastly, it’s annoying how it traverses half the map with tracks guaranteeing a 300 km/h maximum, yet it barely touches 245 km/h before having to decelerate again. Can’t wait for someone to mod an ICE3 or a Shinkansen -remember, the devs are looking for someone to mod a Shinkansen, whoever mods the best one gets a prize!- so we can get some real speed up in here.

Good luck!

bencze
    Participant

I tried to run 4 small ones around a medium map (4 corner cities, fed off 2 cities each by tram) but I went from I don’t know, -10M to about -2M in a decade or two. My other income offseted it enough so I didn’t go bankrupt, but it was only good for show off.

Generally speaking I am having troubles making profit with trains. Currently I do have a small commuter line with 2 trains that brings some profit (much less than trams or buses would), and 2×2 coal/iron lines that feed big factories (supplying 5-8 cities with goods). Those are profitable but the profit shown on line really jumps by a million or two up and down. It took a LOT of time and money invested to get them to turn profit. One time I had to send all 8 trains on a track to depot for electrifying and it sent me into negatives for about 10 years or so because the industries downgraded 2 times.

I’m expecting a little balancing for them in the future, maybe at some point we’d be able to build and run tens of them.

(I play on medium difficulty)

Maetel
    Participant

only the small tgv  will make money  the one that carry’s 72 passengers

killkenny1
    Participant

Nope, couldn’t make “TFV” profitable. “Regional” trains FTW!

Foche
    Participant

sry , I’m french , not really good in english :

TGV isn’t great in this game , very slow acceleration (about a medium map length to reach the 300 kph) and of course expensive

wait 2014 and take DUALSTOX , good acceleration , good speed (200) and many passengers (144)

oh , and the TGV can be profitable :

medium map , 11 stations ( 5 TGV , each 164  version , between 110 – 160 ppl on board) , but look at the DUALSTOX results (same line , 6 Unit , between 90-140 ppl on board , opposite direction )

oh and of course , the DUALSTOX have something like twice the acceleration of the french TGV

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Foche.
    simonmd
    Participant

Old thread I know but yes, I’m making a FORTUNE with TGVs! I now have 4 running, 3 on a mainline serving 4 town and another on a connecting spur to 1 town. That particular one was a short version but I had to replace with a 120 seater due to overloading! I have made nearly 200m in around 20 years mainly from high speed.

Dolph
    Participant

@simonmd

Nice! But honestly.. Wouldn’t you have made more profit using dualstox?

Been working hard to make the tgv profitable, but every line is always more profitable with dualstox.

simonmd
    Participant

At the time I posted the above, I hadn’t unlocked the duelstox as I was still in the late ’90s but im sure I would have yes once introduced. The problem is that the TGV takes ages to get to top speed so the 200kph trains like the Duelstoxm, FLIRT, etc. can usually keep up. The TGV is great eye candy though, even if it does look VERY 80s! Would be nice to have some modern stuff like the Eurostar or even the duplex TGVs for example.

Dolph
    Participant

Yeah, the eye candy part is the main reason to why i use the TGV, and sitting by the tracks to watch them swoosh by 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.