Is there a playable demo for people interested in buying?

Home Forums Support Is there a playable demo for people interested in buying?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I’ve read a lot about Train Fever in the past few months, followed discussions here, reviews on Steam, and I’ve seen various “Let’s Play” videos on YouTube. However, I’ve always been hesitant to buy the game because I’m just not sure whether it will work on my system or it would just be wasted money. So, I’d really like to try the game before I buy; is there a playable demo or something?

I should note that I’m on a 13″ MacBook Pro (max resolution 1280×800px) with 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB GPU, and I’m running OS 10.10.1 (Yosemite). And I’ve read somewhere that I need a Steam account to play this game? I’m an old fashioned guy and I’d rather like a standalone game that I can play without mandatory internet connection, if possible.

I’d appreciate any help.

simonmd
    Participant

Don’t waste your money. The game is a Beta version at best, if you read through the forums youll find TONS of bugs reported daily , the worst being performance. It has the potential to be a great game but don’t waste your money just yet, your system is a similar spec to mine which means it will become unplayable after a couple of hours of play.

Blokker_1999
    Participant

As far as I know there is no demo version of the game. And a steam account is required. However once the game is installed you can place steam in an offline mode and play without internet connection.

The game itself can be great fun, as can be witnessed by the many people who already played hundreds of hours on this game. They would not do that if it wasn’t possible. However the game does indeed hit a performance barrier when you reach a high number of vehicles and people living in your cities/towns. While that is problematic, by the time you have played to that point, that map can almost be declared finished. It could still be optimised, but you probably are making millions/year at that point and already have a few hundred million in cash reserve which takes the challange away of developing something profitable on a tight budget.

FX2K
    Participant

Blokker_1999’s summary is fairly accurate, IMO, aside from the fact that when the performance drops (even on high spec systems) its not really at a time when it could be considered ‘game over’

The years in this game go far too fast for my liking and I’m not alone in that thinking, so it doesn’t really take that long to hit the performance issues causing you to abandon your progress / game just to play it from the early years again, where performance is fine but you are limited due to funds (unless you mod the costs etc)

Yes, I have played the game a LOT, enjoyed the starting part of it a lot too, but I don’t play it anymore because of the performance issues.

I would say that if you like these sort of games then you will find enjoyment initially, but will likely end up being disappointed or at least a little frustrated.

Blokker_1999
    Participant

Well, game over may be a bit harsh. But by the time i’ve hit the cliff with performance i usually have a well developed map that can still be improved and expanded upon, but the challange in itself is gone unless i sabotage my own game.

I’m still playing myself, but mainly because i want to reach all the achievements (would be a first on a game for me :p )

FX2K
    Participant

What I meant by that was by the time the performance degrades, I don’t ever feel like I have finished playing the map. If a ‘game over’ screen appeared I would feel robbed of my work to continue expanding, refining and maintaining the map…

I feel like I am 50% in, if that, when its time to abandon the map.

I will return to playing this game at the drop of a hat though, so long as the drop of the hat indicated performance improvements 😉

LB
    Participant

I had a well developed map by 1925 and it became unplayable then (Most of my game is spent in pause mode). I wouldn’t say that was even close to finished.

coujou
    Participant

The absence of demo is sad, because I would have never bought the game. If I start in 1950, in 1980 I have 5-6 towns connected, all of them supplied with goods = about 12-13 train lines, some bus lines and public transport in my hub. This is my usual progress. It is somehow playable, but stutters all the time, even in pause mod. TF is a nice project and it really would be worth buying if the devs did something with the performance, so all people who meet min requirements could play. Or they should advertise the game is only for 4GhZ quad core CPU, 16GB RAM and 4GB GPU desktops (because this is something it really needs).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your replies. Well, that sounds somewhat discouraging – although even a demo would probably not go as long that you would experience the performance drop so thanks for the heads-up. (As a side note: I remember how I got into the original Transport Tycoon game; there was a demo where you could play one year (1930) with just trains, and this alone got me so excited that I went to buy the game, my first time ever). I really hope this will improve soon, I can’t wait to try this game some time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.