Late Game Problems

Home Forums General Discussion Late Game Problems

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    twofl
    Participant

Hello there,

after playing for a while and getting a very good start at the early years 1850-1920, the game kinda turns from “everything is allright and good cash comes in” to “hugh running costs and city progress is running low” and less/no cash comes in.

I’m now in the year 1980. Trams were profitable but with new vehicles and bigger running cost, they went quickly into the redzone. Raillines are kinda the same. Old lines with, in early years, around 45 passengers dropped to around 20-30.

My big cities do have around 500-550 only. I started the “Good” production relativly late, around 1900.
    My Trainlines are singleline trains wich stop at 3 different stations (which gave me a realy great profit until year 1920).

In my opnion, the only way to avoid the 180° turn of profit and running cost is to get your cities to grow faster.

My question now is, how big should a city be at around 1950.

Next question is, how can you grow other cities, wich are not connected to your network faster?

The other cities, without a connection to your linenetwork, become less profitable because they did not grow as fast as your other  cities. And you cannot connect every city in the early game and popup a production line to support the progress, because you don’t have enough money.

These are my thoughts on it. Tell me about your lategame experience.

Any advice is welcome.

Best Regards

Twofl

• This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by twofl.
    Tegron
    Participant

replace expansive trains with the lower cost trains, watch for the 30yr old money eaters.

twofl
    Participant

At around the year 1970 there are no other vehicles for the tram. For the trains, i replaced them, but after a drop of runningcosts in the year ~1920 , when you finaly can build electic trains, the cost greatly increase, but the passengers do not increase or sometimes drop. So the lines become less or not profitable.

Dozer
    Participant

I have no late game experience, but i can give some advice on the goods supply chain. Goods supply can be set up for all towns within 10 years. Meaning by 1860 at an early game start. It actually is quite simple.

If a town does not get supplied by a nearby industry automatically, find the industry that produces goods which is closest to it. Then set up a roadline between that industry and the city, that has a “frequency” of below 20 min. If this supplier of goods now does not start production, it needs another line from a raw material supplier. Find the closest and again set up a roadline with a “frequency” of below 20 min. The production and supply will start and rise.

It does not matter if you transport all the cargo or if a big part of it wanders to the town or industry by itself. I guess what you wanted is, that the towns are supplied with goods, so they grow from a very early stage. This way they are and will.

jorgenRe
    Participant

I find passenger transport with trains working very well…..At som points when i earn 15 million from my line that connects 6 Cities using 9 or was it 10 200 km per hour trains all running at nearly always max speed 😉

but then the problems occur. I used to be turning a profit on my buses, but as soon as the city grew in size(most at 900 pop) The taffic went sky rocketing and it ended up destroying my bus lanes. For example i had a city doning fairly well with buses, but then the traffic increased and now the freq is at 22 min for a fairly short route.

twofl
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

I will try the to get the industry running early.

How did it take to get a city with ~900 pop, and how many trains are running on that line and how many passengers do they transport?

jorgenRe
    Participant

@twofl I have 9 or was it 10 trains on the track. They are somewhat evenly spaced out (i have a very big signal block between station 1 and 2 so if they get too close they have to wait so they space out. So around 1 third to half of they are nearly/full of passengers else are about half, but i think if the traffic congestion in huge cities was fixed im sure most trains would have been full at most times.

So i i’m at year 2080 i think and well ive been working on getting these cities to grow since the start(1950)

Decrayer
    Participant

Im in the year 1980. For now, I don’t have much cargo transportation. But I  recognized, that as soon as cars are available, they put some pressure on you to provide shorter intervals. So I countered that development with shorter but more trains. I have 4 to 6 trains per line,  3 min Intervalls. You could also destroy streets or make the longer to gain advantage over private automotives.

I also extended my net, running 4 train lines each with 3 to 9 stops connecting  almost every city on the middle sized map. To increase the amount of passengers, I build a local tram service in every city starting from the train station and going through the middle of the city in one line (no circle line).

But I noticed, that it’s quite hard to run a realistic long intercity service for example with tgv’s. Therefore I currently start to build a cargo line. To run it profitable, I know that I have to transport the goods to more than one single city. Because as soon as you create enough demand in form of reachable markets for a steel production, it will increase its size and make longer transportation trains possible which have a higher profit margin.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Decrayer.
    jorgenRe
    Participant

@Decrayer you should only be doing TGV between cities spaced far apart in a flat and straight terrain, but atm you cant really use the long TGV because of the traffic problems.

Never the less i used the trainset that drives at 200 km/h which i find being far more useful than those TGV’s As they have a much less running cost and is fairly nice in terms of passengers it can carry since most people who use your trains atm are those very near to your train station.

Never the less i am planning to be spending a few 100 millions (600m bank ($_$) ) to see if i can alter a city to become far more useful than it is right now by making it more squary so i can run buses far more efficiently.

Decrayer
    Participant

@morgen: Yes, I agree. I only use the short tgv’s and they are not very effective, but I really like the so I keep tinge as my flagship trains and finance them via other lines. I really much use the available s-bahn mod a lot for the rest.

And you can easily alter a city for lower cost when first building you train station and then additional streets around it so that with ongoing time the city grows around it. But don’t forget to reserve some space with tracks for future expansion!

twofl
    Participant

What are the frequencies you guys are using for trainlines?

mineral
    Participant

its pretty easy to match a city´s demand for goods so i dont think cities would grow that much if supplied over a long time. i only reached the 750 inhabitants cap in the late 1990s/2000, eventhough it had constant cargo rolling in

jorgenRe
    Participant

@Twofl IM running with a 3 min freq on my main passenger line consisting of 6 cities And i’m doing fairly well at some points when i’m making ~15 m per year on it 😉

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by jorgenRe.
    twofl
    Participant

At early game i only used one tram line per city, with one line connecting the brightest green/red/blue Zone And tue trainstation. I never tried to cover the whole city. Can anyone give me some feedback how this will affacte the cities in the long?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.