Laying Railroad Tracks a pure mess?

Home Forums General Discussion Laying Railroad Tracks a pure mess?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bloomswarm
    Participant

How is it that the game randomly builds tunnels, bridges and not only that, also stairwells to heaven and connections to hell?

Where are we going?

http://i.imgur.com/FKoknUv.png

Downhill – What a great place to build a bridge which you cant cancel or make go away. The only option you have is to build a damn up in the sky

http://i.imgur.com/BrYqc3d.png

Im currently considering asking the steam support for my money back. This is unplayable?

bloomswarm
    Participant

We need to go derper…..

Stonelouse
    Participant

its train fever, not rollercoaster fever and railways don’t go up and down hills like roads. you need to learn to build along the terrain contours, not just straight downhill.

bloomswarm
    Participant

Ok but why does the game decide the only way to build the track out of the damn station is INTO THE GROUND then?

SomeBloke
    Participant

I totally agree, terrain following does not exist at all.  I can try to lay a track and it has a distinct vertical bow in the middle, meaning the track I am laying has a pronounced dip in the middle of the length, with both ends slightly above ground level.  The track I am trying to lay is not vertically straight from the beginning to end.  If it just followed the terrain it would be fine as there is only mild undulations. Have a pic, but cannot upload it here if support would like a look.  It makes laying lines all but impossible.

Azrael
    Participant

The game tries to build the track that way, that your trains can move as fast as they can.
    If you’re alrdy rich, this is a pretty good way to improve your routes or build new routes very fast and easy.
    If you want your tracks to follow the terrain, build in short pieces.
    Also make sure, the inclination indicator (the Thing with the ground symbol and arrow above it next to the tick) has a grey background. If it has a blue background and the up and down arrow, then manual inclination control is turned on and it doesn’t build like above said, then it goes straight down or straight up.

SomeBloke
    Participant

Haha, the game has to build tracks with bows in them when they don’t need it.

Sorry, you obviously do not understand the problem i have.

It simply does not go ‘straight down or straight up’, the track is distinctly lower in the middle.

Edit: I am not going to build my tracks 5 ft at a time, not fun.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by SomeBloke.
    douglas
    Participant

Well yes, follow the ground does not exist. What it exist is go straight, no degree.

If you want to follow the ground, you have to build piece by piece. If you just make a huge truck it will try to make it without any ups and downs, so any degree will use terraforming or tunnels or bridges.

Just try to build a piece at a time. They you see its making terraforming or bridges, just go back a bit, build that piece and then start to make another piece. This way it will follow the degree of the new area and bridges and tunnels will only exist when really necessary (when the degree is too high for a train).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by douglas.
    SomeBloke
    Participant

I do not need it to follow the actual terrain, what i need the track I am laying to be vertically straight from end to end, which it isn’t, no matter what I do, which I have stated.

Is the laying of track supposed to be vertically straight from end to end if the angle is not high?

It is actually creating a larger down and up angle then is required.

bloomswarm
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, being more carefully with the track helps.

douglas
    Participant

@SomeBloke: from my experience, yes, its suppose to be straight vertically from end to end. Are you sure that little arrow that appear together with the “confirm”, “cancel” button is not marked? That arrow controls if its go straight, up or down.

SomeBloke
    Participant

I have sent the pictures to info email address as I couldn’t find support email address on site!

douglas
    Participant

Support is this forum. Devs also ready and reply here.

Mansen
    Participant

The game always tries to balance slope and speed when you drag out a section of rail or road. The longer it is, the more it will compensate for speed, which often creates the behaviour you’re talking about.

You can try and drag out shorter pieces at a time until the track is level with the hill – But you’ll have to keep in mind the natural slope of the terrain. Turning on the slope overlay and getting used to it helps a lot.

Matticus88
    Participant

In the second screenshot the OP has posted, he/she has the button next to the up/down arrows pressed which is the manual mode for lowering/raising track. Turn that off and the track will attempt to smooth out the terrain by itself. Probably the same thing for the first screenshot too.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Matticus88.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.