Line Naming Conventions

Home Forums General Discussion Line Naming Conventions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    therobot
    Participant

All,

Wondering what you all use for naming conventions for your different transport lines. With so many lines between cargo, inner-city buses and trams and then of course the trains, I’ve found this to be helpful in keeping things organized and easy to understand/manage the routes.

I’ve adopted the following which has been working fairly well.

All cities get a three letter code, e.g. Glossop becomes GLO, Barnley becomes BAR, etc.

For Cargo from raw material to manufacturer:

[Raw Material]-[City code]-[Mill, refinery, etc.]

For Goods to town:

[Goods]-[City code]

Inner-city travel:

[City code]-[Bus or tram]-[#]

Inter-city Passenger:

[City code]-[City code]-[City code, etc.]-[#]

Anyway just curious what else people are doing and if it can give me any better ideas about how to do it.

Thanks!

Mansen
    Participant

CITY – TYPE (Either cargo for trains or vehicle for bus/tram) – NUMBER

So London – Bus 1 or London – Lumber 1

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Mansen.
    hert
    Participant

City name Tram (City Tram Routes)

City name to City name eg (Uckfield to Camelford)         City to City

City name + Industry name     eg (Camelford Iron Mine)  Raw resources to refineries

Industry to Cityname       eg  (Steelmill to Camelford)         Goods to city

I think that baically covers all my names i use.

Sometimes if i need to transfer goods around the city, I name it: (Cityname Goods Transfer)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by hert.
    Azrael
    Participant

For Intercity-Passenger Transport nearly the same:

Example: Woodbridge to Tow Loaw, my first train line, became 1-WB-TW, later on, when i connected a third city for it, Dinnington St. John it became 1-WB-TW-DSJ
    After that, I just took the start and the end city of a line into the name, example Dinnington St. John to Bexhill-on-Sea became 3-DSJ-BOS, but in total this line connects 6 cities, DSJ is the starting city and BOS the ending city of the line.

For Freight:

If it is a line raw ressource -> industry -> city its called in my game for example:

Iron-Goods-Downham Market
    If only a good transport corrisponding Goods-City or, a ressource transport to an industry near a city Ressource-City
    If i have multiple lines transporting the same type of freigt to one Industry/city, the get numerized.
    For example:
    Goods-Downham Market 1
    Goods-Downham Market 2

and so on.

For Public Transport within city I give it a line number, the ÖPNV-Prefix (In German ÖPNV means “Öffentlicher Personennahverkehr” or in einglish Public Transport) and the City name for example:

1-ÖPNV-Downham Market

I don’t adapt the name towards if I use busses or tram.
    And with all my line names, the numerization represents the order in which they were set up.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Azrael.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Azrael.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.