Losing interest in this game

Home Forums General Discussion Losing interest in this game

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    RAAndre
    Participant

Okay tomtom:

I tried.  The map was not exactly as you described, but it was similar.  The forest and sawmill were in different places but it was similar enough.

By 1852:

The train was carrying nothing and losing $185K a year

The sawmill was producing “0” and not using the line.

The forest was producing “1” and using the line.

The train did start transporting “1” wood in 1854 however it was losing $201K

Line 2 wagons were losing $24.7K

Line 3 wagons were losing $24.6K

In 1854, I am out of money and my balance is -$313K (about 5 million was borrowed).

I really don’t get it.  It’s just not responsive enough to retain my interest.  Something needs to happen for me to want to keep playing a game.  More often than not, NOTHING happens here.  It takes years and you just lose money and can’t do anything.  Maybe I am too stupid to figure it out, but it’s not fun for me.

I really appreciate your help.

uzurpator
    Participant

You need to create a full production cycle. For Wood it is

Forest —(wood)—> Sawmill —(goods)—> City Industrial district.

If you don’t transport goods from Sawmill to city, then the forest will not produce anything.

It is the simplest vector, because stock freight cars for wood also transport goods, so you can transport both cargoes on the same train, reducing the return trip without payload.

Find a triangle of Forest, Sawmill and a Nearby city, with roughly 1/2-1/3 of small map between them. Build a line with a station near the forest, sawmill and city, run line through them with 2-3 trains ( keep frequency below 10 minutes ). Forest should start producing.

Try: Small/Hilly/Easy/1850 game with seed: 1234567890

There is a forest near Tiverton and a Sawmill near Crewe. When you build a station near Tiverton Forest, to Crewe Sawmill, then a simple 2-station layout can transport wood to sawmill and goods to Tiverton.

Btw EDIT [b]DO NOT USE FULL LOAD[/b]. The game is flawed and does not give the correct orders to handle such loading. Just use standard full load any orders.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by uzurpator.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by uzurpator.
    RAAndre
    Participant

Thanks guys for all the help.

I did recheck everything and the only thing that needed a suggested change was the frequency of the train.  It was 21 mins.  So I borrowed more money and built two trains of five cars.  The frequency went down to 14 minutes.  Again nothing changed.  I then added a third train of five cars which brought the frequency down to 9 minutes.

It is now 1861.  I am losing money and have a negative balance of -$453.  The forest is still only producing “1”.  The biggest load for one train was once “4” but never grew anymore than that and is now back to “0” or “1” per train.

The sawmill is still producing “0” and asking for more planks.  The horse carts from the sawmill to the industrial area of the nearby town is carrying nothing.

I can’t figure out what the problem is.  Apparently people here are having better luck than me, and I am happy for you guys.  But jeeze . . . I’m really tired of trying to make this work.

uzurpator
    Participant

Can you post a savegame?

RAAndre
    Participant

How do I do that?

cHabu
    Participant

I have been playing this game since it was available and i am strugeling to gain a profit.

A minus is, that you can’t experiment, because there’s no ‘cheat mode’.

(Experimenting might give you more ideas on how to play/build.)

Since i began playing, i haven’t reached the year 1900, although i followed every tip i found on the web.

Not loosing faith in the game, but i fear “easy” is not easy enough for me 🙁

uzurpator
    Participant

Get my balance mod. You’ll be surprised how pleasant the game is, when it is properely balanced.

http://www.train-fever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/535-Balance-Mod-UPDATED/

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by uzurpator.
    gGeorg
    Participant

Randre,

the whole route must be under 20 minutes. That include waiting AND traveling, any kind of traveling. If you have created an magnificent long route, then lowering frequency lowers waiting part, but not traveling. Also consider that time of travel is measured door to door. That means, when the wood-log leaves the froest building **begining** when the log reach the saw building ** finish**. Your transport network is in  the middle. If your stations are close enough to the bulidngs then you have 20 minutes for you. If the wood-log have to go acroos a field by herself, this time is also counted. This game has some cool ideas, but such an obvious things are not usualy expeted in the game. With lack of any guide, it is a challenge to figure out how does it work. 🙂

simonmd
    Participant

I have been playing this game since it was available and i am strugeling to gain a profit.

I have been playing this for only a few days and am now in the mid 21st century with over $200m in the bank! However, the first few tries I was just like you, the point is, its a challenge and you have to be able to identify supply and demand. If it was simply Build line – Auto get money – Build more lines – Auto get tons of money……. it wouldn’t be much of a ‘game’ would it? You’d just basically have a virtual trainset.

Here is my strategy and it seems to work really well. Start the game, click the bottom right icon that shows you the goods traffic, BUILD NOTHING, then click fast forward and wait at LEAST 1 year. then pause the game and have a good look around the landscape and you’ll see where goods and supplies are flowing well down country roads. Then, you have a good indication of the supply and demand chain and where to build a profitable line / truck / waggon route. This will get you a-started and give you a nice annual income. Then, the towns that are newly boosted by the extra goods your first line or two is bringing in should be given a passenger line to help bring in workers / shoppers to further aid growth. Pretty soon you’ll find that line is making loads of cash and you’ll be on your way.

A minus is, that you can’t experiment, because there’s no ‘cheat mode’.

Yes you can. The game saves every year anyway and you can of course save manually as well. So start building a new line after a save and if it turns out to be a mistake, quit, reload the last good save and you can try something else.

RAAndre
    Participant

I got back into TrainFever during last week’s (US) Thanksgiving break after seeing this You Tube series:

If you watch the first video, there is a bunch of wood and goods going down the road and the poster just fills in the gaps with successful cargo trains.  Inspired, I once again tried to build a successful cargo system.

However, when I generate my worlds there is no such heavy demand of cargo walking down the roads.  Most industries are producing “0” of maybe “2” items and they never seem to grow.  Freight trains never make money.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  I don’t get it.

In a related note, now some industries need three items to make something (i.e., household goods).  That can be a bit of a challenge especially for novices.  I think a good option would be for a “difficulty setting” based on supply lines.  For instance, the easiest setting requires one item to be supplied for each industry to produce one product.  More difficult scenarios require raw materials to go to an industry to be made into products that are then sent to another industry to be made into something else (e.g., logs/wood -> planks -> factory -> goods)

Something like:

2) More difficult (two supply lines):

Crude Oil (oil wells) -> Oil Barrels (refinery) -> Plastic (chemical plant) -> factory

PLUS

Logs (forest) -> Planks (sawmill) -> factory

The above two items needed to make goods.

3) Even more difficult (three supply lines):
    Crude Oil (oil wells) -> Oil Barrels (refinery) -> Plastic (chemical plant) -> auto factory

PLUS

Logs (forest) -> Planks (sawmill) -> auto factory

PLUS

Iron Ore (mine) + Coal (mine) -> Steel (Steel Mill) -> auto factory

Simply put, the more difficult the scenario the more complicated the supply chain.

General
    Participant

“, there is a bunch of wood and goods going down the road and the poster just fills in the gaps with successful cargo trains.  Inspired, I once again tried to build a successful cargo system.
    However, when I generate my worlds there is no such heavy demand of cargo walking down the roads.  Most industries are producing “0″ of maybe “2″ items and they never seem to grow.  Freight trains never make money.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  I don’t get it.”

It is actually quite easy. Always remember: It is demand driven.

Cities retrieve their demand of goods from the industry that delivers fastest. If another industry can deliver faster than the one you connected, it is the one getting the deal. You can’t boost one industry simply by connecting it, you need to do it in a way its goods can be delivered fastest.

After you generated your world, switch on “cargo view” and watch. Goods will start to travel. Easiest way to get a profitable goods supply line: pick one or several of those routes and connect them. Your vehicles are faster than the KI ones, so yours will prosper. If you also provide passenger service at the target city, it will grow faster, demanding more goods over time.

An industry connected by one of your lines has the ability to grow bigger than the “25” limit the “only KI” ones have, and will if you keep providing the service.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by General.
    cHabu
    Participant

I have just watched the TF-series of this uploader:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXLbn-wICUlbZnVccUH8d8Q

RAAndre
    Participant

These videos are a great source of inspiration.  They make me want to dive back in 🙂

RE: Here is my strategy and it seems to work really well. Start the game, click the bottom right icon that shows you the goods traffic, BUILD NOTHING, then click fast forward and wait at LEAST 1 year

I will give that concept a shot.  Thanks!

cHabu
    Participant

If you wait a year,interest is being deducted.

You can see the resources flow after a few months 😉

RAAndre
    Participant

I tried again with the “wait-a-year” thing.  I actually waited 2 years.  The only thing that was shipping anything was an oil well to a refinery.  I set up an oil train that was obviously quicker than going down a circuitous road for the oil.  The train ran back and forth empty.  The oil well wouldn’t use the line (it was only producing “1”) and the little oil that was produced kept going along the road.

Is there a seed that anyone has used that generates industries that actually produce anything?

I am using the medium map/easiest setting.  Boy this is frustrating.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 174 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.