Losing interest in this game

Home Forums General Discussion Losing interest in this game

Viewing 9 posts - 166 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@RAAndre the industries produce on demand in this gameIt’s not like Transport Tycoon Deluxe where they always produce some amount.

That means that unless a whole chain is connected then the industry won’t produce anything at all. So for example connect Forest -> Sawmill -> City. Don’t forget the city (unless the goods can walk there themselves within 20 min from the sawmill). As soon as you connect this you should see the line (or many lines if you connect with trucks and trains) being used and production grow steadily to feed the Goods requirement of the town. So if the town demands 43 goods (in the town window) then the Forest will produce 43 wood and Sawmill will produce 43 Goods within a couple of years. But if you did it right growth should start quickly and be obvious (especially at 4x speed).

A good strategy at the start of the game is to find situations where a chain exists (Cargo view) because the industries happen to be close by chance. Then add your lines to replace the cargo walking. This is a good strategy because the demand is already there and you’re not wasting precious time (money) waiting for the industries to ramp up as I explained above.  Remember to use the correct cargo stations! This still catches me out sometimes if I’m doing too many things at once.

medopu
    Participant

To some newbies by a newbie.

I too had big financial problems on my first 2 tries. I started building freight/passanger train lines, then  I make huge losses and get bankrupt in less than a decade.

My third attempt was:starting sloow.

And this made the deal for me. Altough If you have the problem, that no production lines seem to be working then my “idea” will not help you.

1. Ignore industry for a moment 1st year.

2. Search for two cities with working production lines nearby. Take a year to track these production lines if you have to. Then focus on improving their nearby city’s transportation system.

So build one or two bus lines in each, by connecting residential homes with industry.
    If you make your bus lines right, they should be profitable after a few months to a year.

3. Now it’s the time to make a save-checkpoint in case something goes wrong.
    You will now start searching for simple production lines to fill in. There are only two easy starter options you have in this game:

a) Oil line

b) Wood line

I will focus on oil line here.

4. You will begin by  making 3 cargo stations. One at Oil-Well location, second one at the refinery, and the third one, in industrial section of your closest town. Then make two lines, and assign 5-8 horse carts to each depending on the length of the road between them. If the game generated unnecessarily long routes, take some time, and create shortcuts for your cargo transport.

5. Keep a close eye on the cargo-stations. If they start stacking too much of resources there, invest in more carts to transport them. If carts are running empty all the time, sell them.

6. After a few years, this simple industry transport should start making you money, and more importantly, industry in your city should start to grow. Repeat number 4. and 5. near your second city, possibly with a wood-line this time.

7. Only once you’ve started making healthy income, you start making rail connections and trains. Connect your cities with passanger train first, then when industry starts demanding more and more goods, as a result of your successful road-cargo-network,  you can start building freight network in place of your old industry-lines. Make sure you build a functioning train network first, before deleting your earlier road-network, or you might face production insta-death. (downgrading production down to 0).

8. Start experimenting with the ore/coal->goods line the same way you started your first freight line. This is the line that gets me the most income. We’re talking several millions here.

9. As time goes on, your cities should get more and more connected with railways. Always make sure that train stations are connected with your city transportation system.

10. As years pass, you will notice your city-busses slowly become un-profitable, but if you’ve connected your cities with train network, these trains should start making you millions, which more than cover a few potential losses of your city transportation.

If I play it as I described here, I make enough millions by 1900, that i simply forget money exists in this game, and play easily from then on until the end. it becomes unplayably laggy

cHabu
    Participant

Two years is a waste of time and it cost you two years of interest.

Did you change the setting for your Oil train to load untill its full ?
    (See ‘route’ option)

Also, only build a train if you save time, if you don’t save time, the oil will continue to travel by road.

It is only frustrating if you don’t invest time to experiment 😉

Also, look at somme vid’s at Youtube. Losts of tips in those vid’s  😀

crossmr
    Participant

Raandre how about uploading your save somewhere?

RAAndre
    Participant

I just realized that all of this weirdness was coming from a cargo mod I installed  a while ago and thought I deleted.  Things are back to normal and I am very happy now.  Thanks for everyone’s help.

simonmd
    Participant

Another tip to add to this is that if you build a line to serve an industry but find its still send a lot of stuff by road, delete a section of the road to force the industry to use your line. Its a bit of a cheat but it works!

cHabu
    Participant

Correct, this tip was also in the video series for which i posted a youtube link. 😉

This is also the way to get an industrie to start production.

(add station, delete road section)

Person012345
    Participant

So you’re suggesting that we all pay out more money for something that should have been included when released? You’re either an idiot who has no value of money or you’re using your parents credit card and don’t care that you’re wasting their money. I’d like to have your money to throw out the window too.

What? How are extra trains and vehicles “something that should have been included when released”? The game has a very fine selection of vehicles, just not enough for my tastes. I wasn’t referring to functioning traffic as DLC.

So you’re saying that you think playing this game that has all sorts of problems is FAR more fun than playing Wot that has no problems while playing?

WoT has a ton of problems that make it just a frustrating chore to play. I can at least get some enjoyment out of train fever. Don’t get me wrong, WoT COULD be a good game but WG are just crap.

Tattoo
    Participant

First of all, I’d like to apologize for what I typed to you about this. It was wrong of me and very ignorant of me to type that and was wrong of me to act that way. You don’t have to except my apology but I just want to put it out there anyway.

The game has a very fine selection of vehicles

They may be a ‘fine selection’ to some, but there is not enough of them. For a while in game, the nohab is the only available diesel engine for quite a few years. There is definitely a need for a bigger selection and I, for one, am not about to pay more money for more when they should have been included already. What is in the game now is slim pickens and nowhere near what should be in the game. It’s just not enough for the money I paid for this game.

WoT has a ton of problems that make it just a frustrating chore to play

Really? And what problems might these be? I can play WoT for 30 hours straight and not have any problems like Train Fever has, AND it’s multi-player. I can only play Train Fever for a few hours before the problems make it un-playable. So I’d really like to know what problems you are typing of because I don’t have problems when playing WoT except for the players themselves. There are a lot of morons in that game that make it un-enjoyable and the reason why I quit playing it. But even still, it’s free to play unless you want to pay for gold and other things. That’s your choice. Not like Train Fever that charged me $34.00 to beta test it without my knowledge. And you may not like WG but they didn’t advertise a game as complete when it wasn’t like Train Fever did.

Oh and, WoT doesn’t need community made mods to make it play better like Train Fever does. In Train Fever, you NEED mods like the BM to come close to working correctly and even then it’s BS because he had to lower the amount of cargo each carriage carries to work better. So how is that a good thing? Yes, it may help but it’s not right that it’s needed to make the game work better. I had to do that myself to the railcars I made to have longer trains. Now one of my trains pull out of the station with 16 pieces of cargo in 8 cars instead of 13 pieces in each like it should be. To me, that’s BS. The game is flawed and they charged me $34.00 for this flawed game and I feel like I was ripped off.

Viewing 9 posts - 166 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.