Low preformance?

Home Forums General Discussion Low preformance?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    matsv201
    Participant

Is there any quick&dirty way to increase performance radically? Even with a SSD, a god GPU, 6 core processor the game is runing somewat slugish

Gruwe83
    Participant

Hi,

so far as I know the Game only uses max. 2 Cores, more cores don’t increase the performance at the moment. Perhaps Urban Games will change that the Game uses more cores.

How many GB RAM do you have?

grimdanfango
    Participant

From what I’ve experienced so far, the biggest contributor to stuttering is the “Geometry” setting.  Basically, it doesn’t matter how powerful your machine is, if you set it to “High”, it’s going to attempt to load every object and texture simultaneously, every time you pan up to look at the horizon, because it sets the LOD to be stupidly far away.

The good news is, even setting it to “Low” leaves things looking the same level of detail close up to camera… you’ll just notice that it drops the vehicle models when you zoom out to a fair distance, and the detail on the trees will fall off pretty close.  “Medium” is a decent compromise – it runs better, but looks very similar to High, unless you’re staring at fine details on the horizon.

I find that even Low is absolutely fine though, and the game runs almost completely stutter-free, and at smooth framerate, even on my laptop with a GT650M graphics card.

The geometry setting is the killer.  If you’ve got a decent GPU, you can turn everything else on and it’ll run fine… just be sure to knock geometry down to at least Medium.  If you particularly want to take a screenshot, you can crank it up to High using the ingame settings window.

matsv201
    Participant

8 GB of ram… THe games  use 3 of my cores, but only on like 40%, so i guess its jumping cores.

Lower gemetry sure helps, ,in top down view its quite playable, but if you pan out its realy sluggich. The framerate is still somewhat okey (for a strategygame),  but the control reactiontime is really slow, and hit framedrops when its loding textures… and thats form a SSD:

mackintosh
    Participant

The game uses surprisingly little RAM but shockingly high amounts of GPU memory, I have my 2GB maxed out and it’s dumped another 2GB into the swap file. This is some serious whack coding shenanigans. What on earth is pulling so much texture memory in a game like this.

edit: and this is without AA/HDR/SSAO

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by mackintosh.
    matsv201
    Participant

I think 1GB of ram is quite a lot for this game. Almost everything except the map is only textures and models. (and the SFX is heavily compressed).

I tryed HDR and SSAO and it makes no viable difference in speed, but the visable quality diffrens is quite high. I dropt the AA down to 2x, it made a little diffrens but not a lot. Really only gemoetric resolution that made any notasible diffrance in speed.

Also, i have 3GB of GPU memory, so it shold be no problem

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by matsv201.
    mackintosh
    Participant

Both HDR and SSAO do have a noticeable impact on performance in the late game when there are a lot of trains/trams/buses on screen at the same time. I’m seeing quite a bit of a performance drop.  How far are you into your playthrough?

I’m also wondering just how much of an impact does the ever present smoke make. Even if it doesn’t, it’s really annoying me, wish there was a way to turn it off and limit it to just trains.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by mackintosh. Reason: spelling
    Mansen
    Participant

Uh – Textures are kept in the VRAM, Mats. The memory is used to keep track of all of the cargo, passengers, cities and so on and so forth.

matsv201
    Participant

Well, im still in the 1800-dres so.. no, not that far. Mostly landscape that slows it down still.

“Textures are kept in the VRAM,”
    Thats my point, its in VRAM, so its not in the normal ram.

“The memory is used to keep track of all of the cargo, passengers, cities and so on and so forth.”

Its a minescule amount.

Mansen
    Participant

That may have been your point but not what you actually said.

And no – It is by no means a minuscule amount.

matsv201
    Participant

Well, i actualy did say that, but maybe it was not that obvious.

A minuscule amount is a relative term. Sure, if you print it out like a chart it would be gigantic, but compared to the memory of a normal desktop computer, the matrix is quite small. It have to be. The reason is not space, but performance.

grimdanfango
    Participant

I’m surprised that you reckon even on “Low” geometry, you still get slowdown when zoomed out.  My laptop’s GT650M has 2GB of DDR3 memory, which is horribly slow and low bandwidth compared to a “proper” GPU with GDDR5, and with geometry set to Low, the game runs pretty well, even fully zoomed out.  It almost entirely stops those sudden stalls when the game seems to be loading in geometry and/or textures.

Have you tried setting all settings to Low/Off, including the ones you can only access in the main menu before loading a game?  Try having everything set to minimum, and turn each one up in turn until you find the one that’s causing the problems.

What’s your actual machine spec and GPU?

matsv201
    Participant

Well, i always forget.. let me check. I Use to be a real computer geek, but nowdays i dont even know whats in my on computer.
    HD 6900 with the 3GB GDDR3, And theres a normal bulldozer 6 core and 8GB of ram and a old Intel SSD (i actualy have a newer, but never got around to install it.)

grimdanfango
    Participant

Hmm, as far as I know, there’s no such thing as an HD 6900, and none of the HD 6000 range come with 3GB… and it’s usually either DDR3 for low-end cards, or GDDR5 for the rest.  What’s your device manager say it is?

I wonder if there isn’t some AMD incompatibility with this game.  I get the feeling I’ve seen more support issues come up regarding AMD cards than nVidia ones, and my personal experience with an Intel CPU/nVidia GPU has been fine.

matsv201
    Participant

Well. sorry, it sas only 6900 series… is a 6950 i beleve, but the devecie manage dont say.. of cause its DDR5,, my bad. The AMD reference bord dont come with 3GB of VRAM, but there is manufacture that put more on.

Yea, some indi games work awfull with AMD stuff, unlike battlefield 4 thats runs just fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.