Low preformance?

Home Forums General Discussion Low preformance?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    grimdanfango
    Participant

Didn’t realise such cards existed.  It seems odd that it would have 3, as that card has a 256-bit bus-width, so it’d usually either be 1, 2, 4, 8, etc…  Couldn’t find any info on what they changed to allow an odd number.

Well, the 6950 is about 4x more processing power and 5x the memory bandwidth of my cruddy laptop card, so you really shouldn’t be having any major issues.

I get the feeling the stalling thing may happen regardless of system spec, simply because the game is trying to bulk-load too much at once when you have the LOD set to high, and point the camera towards the horizon.

I get the feeling the devs will be tuning those settings sooner or later to be a tad more conservative, and hopefully if there is any Radeon-specific issues, they’ll get ironed out too.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by grimdanfango.
    matsv201
    Participant

Well.. yea, my GPU is somewhat old, still quite powerfull by main streaam standard. Its kind of stupid to buy a new when BF4 runs just fine… i Also have the same problem in KSP.. but there ofcause its mostly due to the processor and the lack of multiprocesning in KSP

grimdanfango
    Participant

It should be fine, although I personally ditched Radeon a few years back after being an avid fan for years… I came across one too many glitches that didn’t seem to aflict nVidia users nearly as often.  I’m on my 2nd nVidia card since switching, and I’ve not found anything to make me want to switch back 🙂

Still, you’re right, it’s a powerful card, and there really shouldn’t be any performance issues with it.

mackintosh
    Participant

I’m still hoping they’ll find a way that will allow to force SLI. OpenGL games have historically shown very impressive gains from SLI, even if they didn’t have an explicit SLI profile. I’m still surprised that TF just refuses to run with SLI enabled. There’s nothing that irks me more than seeing two of my cards doing absolutely nothing and the third one stretched to almost 100%.

matsv201
    Participant

Well.. yes, the radeon is far from perfect, nvidia cards generaly work better, and is more stable in preformance. I just opted for radeon cards the last couple of times because of cost.

grimdanfango
    Participant

I don’t know if there would be so much to gain from SLI… the game can run pretty well on a moderate GPU, except for the resource loading slowdowns.  If you got SLI running, you’d just have an even smoother framerate in the periods between the slowdowns.

I really think the game just needs a bit of tuning.  A lot of people are crying foul about the developers’ coding, but honestly, the game engine is pretty damned amazing, and I’m staggered how well it runs already considering the scope of what it’s attempting to do… being able to zoom out to see several kilometers of terrain, and instantly zoom right back in to a different town and see the people and garden fences takes some seriously clever coding.  Getting it to do that fairly smoothly even on my laptop blows my mind!

They’re almost there… the performance has already increased hugely since some of the beta lets-play vids from a couple of weeks ago.  A few more tweaks and I reckon it’ll run pretty well across the board.

mackintosh
    Participant

I don’t know whether I would get a lot or not – but I’d like to be able to find out 🙂 Like I said, historically speaking, OpenGL has always been a pretty good performer with SLI enabled.

bv
    Participant

I do not see any major problems with every setting maxed (2560×1440) on the biggest map except for some stuttering when I follow a vehicle (clicking on the x in the vehicle window) at almost horizontal angle. I do not know if there is a 32-bit version of this game, I would suppose it can run into problems on a 32-bit OS.

My system is about a year old, Core i7 4770 (Haswell) with 32GB RAM and a GTX 770.

This is for the period 1850-1880, though. May run into problems later on, I guess.

Mansen
    Participant

There’s a 32bit version – But it disables large maps because of the memory limitations.

mackintosh
    Participant

Performance is flawless until around 1950s once the cities grow and you have hundreds of vehicles and tens of trains running around. That’s when things take a turn for the worse. I’m in 2041 in my game right now after over 40 hours of gameplay and although everything is still playable, there is a noticeable performance drag. This is on a 4,6Ghz Core i7 with a GTX 670 on a  medium map.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.