map scale/size

Home Forums General Discussion map scale/size

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DK115
    Participant

Hello all,

I have seen a couple of movies of the beta version. I recoomed the ones from quill18 and zhatt on youtube. These are very experienced guys with very good explanation skills.

All looks very promising.Still  I have some questions:

– i have noticed that the scale of the maps is around 16X16 km on a medium map, if I am correct. Around that size anyway. But what about highspeed trains nowadays. A high speed train for say 25 km max is a bit funny, imho. Highspeed trains are to cover large distances. But this expects a different scale. Any thoughts/ideas on this?

– on the same kind of subject: what about the combination of highspeed long distance/local trains(/metro?) combination management. A bit the same as the combination of bus/tram and trains like now in say 1900 but then on a different scale and for example around multiple large cities?

– then, are there any plans to deepen the management around the trains. Like ticketprices, personell, types of trains (1,2,3 class), advanced signalling, station upgrades like food sells?

Would be nice to have any information around these ideas. Thanks in advance.

DK115
    Participant

Btw jm764 videos are also fun to watch.

seb166
    Participant

will the edges of the map be improved in the final game?.ive been watching videos online and having the map just end and theres nothing on either side is rather ugly. if you could extend the map beyond the borders but have the camera stop where its supposed too that would be great it would make the game look a hell of a lot better. the game Banished does this very well.

Tossi
    Participant

I wouldn’t want that. When constructing I want to know exactly where available space ends.

Mansen
    Participant

A wooden border or something silimar would be nice – Give it a feeling of playing with your own little model train table.

GeoffersH
    Participant

Better still would be a scenic background like in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3

DK115
    Participant

Looked like my topic is highjacked. Thanks!

Anyone who have some answers to my questions ?

DK115
    Participant

Hey Seb166, no problem if you want to discuss edges of the map …. but … may open you own topic?

Mansen
    Participant

With the large map I think the high speed trains are really going to start making sense – They’re “only” three times faster than the 1850’s era trains, and just bridging two towns along a river feels like such a long way.

And sharp turns and all the slopes are going to slow those down a lot too – The extra speed on straights will let them catch up to the timetable. Keep in mind that goods and passengers are only willing to travel a limited distance/time before they go elsewhere.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.