Map size

Home Forums General Discussion Map size

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    linoa06
    Participant

Hello,

What will the size of the map be? Will it big enough to realistically represent a département/regierungsbezirk/county/small country/small regional unit, or maybe even bigger? How many towns exist on the maps?

Also, what are the minimum system requirements? I can’t find them anywhere, yet they are mentioned in news and such.

Axel Springer
    Participant

Hi,

“There will be a 256 square kilometer terrain with a one meter resolution”

“Hardware requirements will be similar to e.g. Cities in Motion 2. We plan to optimize and increase performance prior to release. We hope that we can set the requirements as low as possible.”

linoa06
    Participant

Hmm. 256 km² is the size of a big city. I don’t get the “one meter resolution” part :p

mikael

In this screenshot from our news: http://www.train-fever.com/2013/11/visual-updates-incoming/ you’ll see the map size. Our maps are currently in a square format.

Map Size

The one meter resolution means that the terrain height detail is defined down to an one meter resolution.

linoa06
    Participant

Well, if I can build a long distance railway it’s fine by me. 🙂

I have a random question while I’m at it, though – I’ve seen there was path and block signals but how hard will it be to set them up? I hardly get the difference (well, I do, but I don’t know when to use either lol) and I worry it’s going to bother me during play. Also, can the signals have more than two states? For instance, the signal behind the occupied block being red, the signal one block further orange and the signal two blocks further green?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by linoa06.
    mikael

We’re posting an update about the signals some other time, I can’t tell you more about this yet.

fastfokker
    Participant

Just one point of clarification please, is it 256 square Kms (16km x 16km) or 256 x 256 kms?

Thanks

mikael

Well, it’s 16km x 16km.

You’re able to built a few big tracks on such a landscape.

plnrmatt
    Participant

I love the posibilities and variety that come with larger maps. I totally understand that larger maps might not be possible in the initial game release, but might they be possible in future DLCs?

fastfokker
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, so following on from that, can we assume that the buildings and roads etc. are pretty much to scale?

I’m trying to picture a reasonable sized town or towns that we can create that are 10 – 16 Kms apart.

Cheers,

douglas
    Participant

That is pretty big map. In CiM we have 8×8 km map and its big enough to make several towns and even have freight if that game had support for it.

Daan
    Participant

Yeah, bigger is better but 16×16 km is pretty big alright. It might be good enough to spend a lot of time in  creating your little word.

NeighborKid
    Participant

If we get multiplayer if make maps even bigger if possible.. a huge map.. say. 30×30 sounds insane.. but if and when multiplayer does arise i think a map of this size would be awesome.  Id laugh hard if my train was able to collide with a buddies train in multiplayer.. brake failure at a signal. lulz..

• This reply was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by NeighborKid.
    jm764
    Participant

16X16km is a pretty good size for single player and 2-4 player maps, but 32x32km is perfect for 5-8 player maps.

Oliver
    Participant

I agree with you. 16x16km is not that big. Taking a big City divided by a river, you will not reach the outskirts with this measure.

Anyway 16×16 is better than the restrictions of other games, especially, if  the Resolution is really one meter. Hoping, that the scale of roads and tracks will fit to these restrictions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.