Maybe it’s time to update the forum?

Home Forums General Discussion Maybe it’s time to update the forum?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Berry
    Participant

Lately this forum’s gained a lot of new users and that came with a lot more topics of all sort. (Note that I’ve been checking this forum for a long time before I made an account! :P)

Anyway, stuffs getting a bit out of control. I’m genuinly impressed by how nice people are on this forum, but wow, is it chaotic.

So, my suggestion is that it’d be nice to make a few subforums here so we can organise stuff…
    Off-topic
    Suggestions
    General Discussion about the game
    mods
    etc, etc.
    It’d be nicer for the devs and for the users.

I know that this isn’t very high-priority and I can only imagine the devs are very busy with the game, but just say what you think about this below! ๐Ÿ™‚

GeoffersH
    Participant

I totally agree Berry.

Mansen
    Participant

Could do with a forumย upgrade while we’re at it. No quoting? Time limited post editing? No underline tag? ๐Ÿ˜€

Nivve
    Participant

Aside from the user friendliness (with all its own important advantages), it currently creates an amateurish impression. Some activity on the devs side in the forum is also a good sign.

People check the forum to see what the game is about, it’s (in my opinion) therefore even more important than the actual website. I was actually quite disappointed to see this kind of forum (it gave me the impression that the release date would be minimum of 2 years from now). The reason I remained is that I am an OpenTTD buff craving a successor, not because I was very impressed here…

So yeah, I agree that an update helps the actual release, as well as make it easier for us ๐Ÿ™‚

Berry
    Participant

(it gave me the impression that the release date would be minimum of 2 years from now).ย 

Honestly, thats my feeling about everything on this site. It’s not just the forum, but it’s also the videos. Everything looks like the release date is years away, but the fact is that it’s going to get released next week.

And by the looks of it, it shouldn’t be too hard to add subforums, because the map called General Discussion looks like a subforum… Though it’s the only subforum… ๐Ÿ˜

Admins aren’t really neccesairy though, as I said the people here are nice, but it could be usefull to have someone answer questions and lock topics if needed. But again, that’s not really neccesary.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Berry.
    Jonathan078NL
    Participant

Agreed on first post

Berry
    Participant

Excuse me for this post bump, but I feel like this is something that should be brought to the attention of the devs.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Berry.
    swissyntax
    Participant

Please note, the team is very very small. I think the first priority at the moment is to push out the game in a good condition.If they earn some money, maybe they can allow themselves to hire some more staff.

Mansen
    Participant

Sure – It’s a lot of work to migrate a forum. That being said some of the best forum suites out there are entirely free, and riddled with free community support. (PHPbb comes to mind)

It’s something to put on the TO-DO list, if not on today’s list. ๐Ÿ™‚

Berry
    Participant

Well, I don’t think that money’s going to be an issue, because… well… This is a forum already, isn’t it? There’s no need to pay for extra services and such.

It’s not like they’d need to add an entire crew of tech geeks to run the site/forum either, I was simply talking about adding sub-forums to make this forum a little less chaotic. Which, by the looks of it, should be any harder than making a topic here (since the General-Discussion thing looks like a sub-forum map).

Sure, when the game’s released and they start making money, they could think about expanding the site/forum even further, but I doubt that that’s really needed at all.

swissyntax
    Participant

Sure you right, its needed and expanding is not that much of work.

We dont know how much the 3 programers under pressure with the game itself at the moment (i think they working 24h a day). When it comes, when it comes.

iMarius
    Participant

I am suggesting that they change forum provider. Invision power board is one good candidate.

olahaldor
    Participant

There are many good forum systems out there. Invision, phpBB, XenForo (my fav), and many more.

regardless of their choice, a few features should be there, such as attaching files, images, private messaging, quotes +++!

XenForo juat launched a new version with an insanely good multi quote system which allows you to multi quote througout any post In any part of the forum. Really handy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.