Multiplayer to be added ?

Home Forums General Discussion Multiplayer to be added ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Flap32
    Participant

Hi lads,

Just a quick question : do you plan on adding a multiplayer in your game soon ? I looked up several videos and your feature list and it’s just not there.

OpenTTD is still going “strong” because of this and it would broaden the public you could touch, for instance, I could play this as a team with friend but not alone.

Thanks anyway for what looks like a great game.

Berry
    Participant

The game won’t have MP at release, but the devs have said that they want to look into it.

NeighborKid
    Participant

I hope in the end My buddies will only buy the game if it has MP..    IF MP is added.. i suggest that any map and mods being played be auto DLed from the host.  that will go a long long way..

LocoMH
    Participant

My hope is that they’ll wait some time with this and put much effort in it so they maybe can take some money for it. My concern is that once all the simulation fans own the game, the developers will be unable to make money with it as the game is so easily moddable. There’d be no gain in keeping the game alive on the developer side. Thus, an MP version could give them more money to continue improving the game and us at a certain point in time the pleasure to play with friends.

NeighborKid
    Participant

I’d give a bit more to pay for MP

Fredd886
    Participant

For me competition is the most important thing and that need a MP mode of some kind or at last A.I but A.I are also boring after figure out how to exploit them+ real humans are social. The open ttd was awesome for its MP mode where you can meet all kind of cool people and learn from their technique.

In a multiplayer mode or also A.I mode you can’t build a city to city track, press 8 time speed and come back latter to have x money and not worry about having any good locations near main cities taken or good factories taken so it is critical to the ‘’feel’’ of the difficulty level for example.

I know it is hard for the developer making a good MP mode option but I hope they think of it as a main goal after the release and I want to thank the developers for making such a awesome game that I hope is the game I have been waiting for all this years to replace ttd to a higher graphic and realistic feeling.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Fredd886.
    Azrael
    Participant

As far as I know, OpenTTD and Simutrans MP are both free.
    So, if the devs, like you suggested, would provide a MP for which you have to pay, they also would make little to no money.
    If they add MP, then for free or not at all, so modders do the job.
    This is not an MMO after all.

Fredd886
    Participant

The developer chose themselves how much they would want others to mod there game just look at Sim City 4 it was never MP but heavily moded by peoples and open ttd was open source never was for make any money so i don’t get what you try to say?

Also in what way are MMO player more loyal to there developers then Tycoon players? I can say I most probably spent more time playing open ttd then most MMO player playing there game heck i have been playing ttd since 90s.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Fredd886.
    Azrael
    Participant

My post is related to the ones of LocoMH and Neihgborkid but you didn’t get my point.
    You pay for MMO’s mainly for the server infrastructure, because thousands of players play on one server and for Game Masters and so on.
    But nothing like this is needed in a MP for a tycoon simulation.
    So making the players pay for a MP in Train Fever would be a horrible idea, since this would just look greedy and would deter the community.

It sounds to me like a subscription model what you’re suggesting but maybe I missunderstand you so please clarify what you mean.

NeighborKid
    Participant

Not even close. Im talking as if its a dlc. A one time ay for 10 bucks.

Azrael
    Participant

Well, Multiplayer is such a standard thing nowadays, I think it would ruin the reputation of a developer to take money for multiplayer (MMO’s excluded, since they have huge maintenance costs servers, GM’s and so on).
    So imho even a single time payment isn’t good.
    DLC’s for scenarios, new map generator features, new vehicles and so on, np with that, but not the multiplayer.

Mansen
    Participant

To be honest it was a standard even back in the day for this genre.

mrbob19
    Participant

It’s stupid to say that dev’s wont make money because the game will be modable, Take MSTS for example, loads of Freeware stuff and payed stuff to get for it!

I’m more supportive towards DLC when a game is modable, then when it is not (like CIM2 for example). There are always people who buy DLC’s anyway.

And Multiplayer is a must in this game, I already know a couple of people who would have bought it, if there was multiplayer. Gaming isn’t about sitting alone behind your computer anymore these days, it’s about playing a game with your friend(s) and having fun. It also gives a higher replay value to games in general. I will still play this game, but probarly not as much as OpenTTD… even if it has better graphics!

UltraMark
    Participant

The original Transport Tycoon had 2 player support and it was very hard to setup (and keep up) the connection for the hours and hours a single multiplayer game would last. I think I’ve only used it once or twice on a LAN party.

So I’m not sure that multiplayer is must in this game. I’m perfectly happy with playing this game on my own, tinkering with all the transport lines, railroad signs, buildings etc etc. Adding multiplayer adds competitiveness and therefore pressure, which is not always needed in this type of game (same goes for Banished, afaiac).

Mansen
    Participant

@Ultramark: Considering how I’d spent entire weekends playing it on LAN with brothers and friends, I’d argue that it was a user error, not a software error that caused your particular issues back in teh day 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.