New player, question about map size

Home Forums General Discussion New player, question about map size

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Geneo
    Participant

Some one needs to read the Overview (http://www.train-fever.com/game-info/overview/ ) and quit thinking this is a true ‘sim’ like Trainz.

grimdanfango
    Participant

I still think the ideal and completely straightforward way to address this issue is to allow for non-square map sizes.

A current large map, 16 x 16km if I recall correctly, covers 256km^2.  A 4 x 64km map would cover the exact same total area, and would allow 64km-long routes to be built.

If we also had control over the number of towns generated on a map, we could customize our experience to allow for maps that forced you to make networks that covered long distances, rather than as it is currently where it’s always easy to just spider out from the middle along the river-banks.

Pollux
    Participant

December 28, 2014 at 17:02 #15278

Geneo
    Participant

Some one needs to read the Overview (http://www.train-fever.com/game-info/overview/ ) and quit thinking this is a true ‘sim’ like Trainz.

The overview says:

– Build the largest and wealthiest transport empire the world has ever seen!

and

– Randomly generated, modifiable terrain with realistic dimensions

The largest transport empire the world has ever seen doesnt fit on a patch of land 16×16 km.

medopu
    Participant

i wish we had map editor. Random map generator more or less creates the same maps. A river in the middle, mountains on the sides.

We need more variation. Map editor is a must. Then we could make as many cities as we want, and most importantly, we could place industries ourselves.

-Mines on hills/mountains,

-lumber sawmills near forests

and so on.

simonmd
    Participant

Yes, the random feature of the map creator is good and bad. Good, because it stops people making unrealistic maps (towns in a nice line, industry neatly gathered around) but Bad because it places things in REDICULOUS places. Oil well on the TOP OF A MOUNTAIN??? Or for that matter, a refinery, steel mill, etc, who would build one there in real life? Never mind that they seem to have NO relation to what resources are in the area, I’ve seen maps where there was only one oil field but there were THREE refineries almost on the opposite side!

This is yet another thing they need to work on in Train Fever 2….

gGeorg
    Participant

“one oil field but there were THREE refineries almost on the opposite side”

The trains excel in hauling a lot of material for long distance, cars for short and middle.  Therefore, the resource and the factory on the opposite side of map favors trains. 🙂 Hurray for Train fever!

xenos_ds
    Participant

Increase Map Size
    Allow building many Metropolis sized cities that can be connected by intercity trains on the largest map. The current large map should be the small size.

I fully agree. I WON’T BUY THAT GAME before it offers realistic map sizes. I’m really amazed about the gameplay and the graphics, but due to the map size, I haven’t even started playing. I bought A-train and put it aside after half an hour, because of the disappointing map size. In fact, we have 21st century gameplay at the size of a model railway in your cellar.

I used to play Transport Tycoon and Locomotion a lot. Look how huge the maps there are in Open Transport Tycoon. But it has a really outdated gameplay and 90′s style graphics. We need something that combines gameplay with realistic map sizes. In times of large online game networks, it should be possible to handle it for a computer. You don’t even have to render graphics or vehicles that are out of the view. You only need to handle the parameters like lokation, speed, passengers… and developement status/occupation of city squares.

caronen
    Participant

<please delete, wrong thread>

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by caronen. Reason: wrong thread
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.