Optional Routes

Home Forums General Discussion Optional Routes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kursbuchstrecke
    Participant

Hello again…

What I miss is the possibility to let slower trains drive by side for the faster ones. In RL (I just can say it for germany, but I think it is made in nearly every country) There are so called Awanst, Ausweichanschlussstellen. Hard word, I know but it is really simple, those Awanst are further tracks next to the main tracks for the posibillity to stop a slower trains there so that a faster train can overtake it. Often they are in stations like in Lemförde: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/12752227624_a7d93102d8_b.jpg In the center the tracks without platform and left and right next to them are two further tracks with platform where the RE (Regionalexpress, a short-distance-train-class) every hour stops and also if neccesary freight trains to let an faster train overtake.

Why I’m telling all that? Cause such possibilitys aren’t given in TF but they would be really neccesary in railway-networks. When the class 103 comes with its IC along the track and a freight train is in front of it in RL every signal box-worker would take this fright train by side so that the IC can overtake. But cause of the fixed routes such a situation isn’t possible in TF so that the 200km/h IC has to sneak behind the fright train till it leaves. This rises the tact and also if there are more than one train on a line the following train close up.

I would wish, that there is a possibility to variable the routes of the trains mainly of the freight trains so that they could go by side to let a faster train overtake or maybe if neccesary take another route (wich also is realistic, I had some month ago seen a fright train from Dortmund to Munich in Bielefeld cause it took another route ;))

regards

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

Hi @Kursbuchstrecke, since waypoints were added you have been able to do this. See this image I used in another thread that shows how waypoints are used to create a Commuter line that stops at all stations and an Express line in the middle that doesn’t stop – notice there are no platforms for it in that station, you do this by building two 1 platform stations on either side.

Original thread…

http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/so-what-good-are-waypoints/

See the drive-thru example here

Hope that helps.

Kursbuchstrecke
    Participant

@TrainInfluenza: I know what you mean and with commuter trains it works fine, but what to do with the freight trains? In a normal case they also have to drive through the center two lines but when a faster train is behind it it has to go by side. Also such Awanst aren’t everytime at stations, Lemförde only was an example but let’s have a look to another one in Kirchhorsten: https://www.google.de/maps/place/Helpsen/@52.3103962,9.1257143,789m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47ba79211997e58f:0x425ac6d94ac8f10 there the platforms areen’t in it so this is only for overtaking, normally every train goes through the central two tracks and the outer ones are only used when a faster train should overtake. And this actually isn’t possible in TF

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

I see what you mean. You mean a passing point where a slow train stops and waits for an express to pass. Yeah that’s not possible I’m afraid. I put my freight trains on the express lines and make sure they have fast locomotives so that they don’t slow down the express passenger service. To be honest it takes so long for the trains to accelerate you can even put slightly slower ones and rarely get a conflict.

fransgelden
    Participant

Can you build a third track and assign a waypoint on it for the freight train to drive on. I know its not a overtake track, but at least the freight train will not interfere with the passenger train.

Tossi
    Participant

If you want to do something like that you should create a track like this:

then assign signal 1 as waypoint for slower freight train and signal 2 as waypoint for faster express train. I have no time at the moment to test how well it will work but it should work like what you want to do. The frequency of signals before the loop should be higher as it is on diagram to reduce distance between freight and express trains.  The length of the side track should be at last twice as long as the freight train and there is also a possibility that you will have to add more signals to side track to prevent freight train from reserving the junction where the tracks merge again.

TrainInfluenza
    Participant

@Tossi that’s a good idea – also adding a tight curve in the siding will slow the freight train down but it will look a bit rubbish.

EDIT Actually ignore that because you don’t want it to to slow down unless there an express behind.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.