Pain of the overall cargo flawed system

Home Forums General Discussion Pain of the overall cargo flawed system

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vinkandoi
    Participant

It seems that the more you learn and experience train fever, the more you get disappointed by the flawed core system of the game.

I had a station near steel mill producing 400 units. But 400 units of goods was just not enough to supply to 6 cities. So I decided to inject more goods to the still mill station from an oil refinary. So I setup a new oil chain and tried to deliver goods to the still mill station from where the goods would be taken to cities.

BUT the oil chain wont produce simply because the station near still mill is receiving goods from the still mill. To test this, I disabled the steel mill by  deleted the connection from still mill to the station. I was surprised that the oil chain was now producing and increase their production.

So I can conclude that an Industry or a city building cannot receive goods from multiple sources. The main gameplay element isnt servng its purpose.

Lowell
    Participant

It is not setup like that.

I wish we could have industry chains that sent goods to Distribution Centers, then each city send their own train to get goods from the centers, it would make for some pretty cool scenarios for people to play through…Oh well.

In TrainFever, goods are demanded by the cities first. A goods route should be made for “each” city. It should be close or next to said cities as the game has this 20 min rule and anything outside that it ignores.

Feeding 2 oil fields into one Oil to Goods manufacturing center, will just shut down the whole mess. One oil…one oil to goods factory, that’s it…on to the next.

From what I see…trainfever is not a train simulator. It is a game that has trains in it. That being said I like the game and play it often.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Lowell.
    Traian Trante
    Participant

I feel your pain, brother….

assko277
    Participant

Hi,

it is not right that it doesn’t work. I made exactly the same setup. I had like 9 cities pulling goods from a steel mill when I realized, the demand is around 700 units of goods, and the steel mill producing only 400. So I did the same, started feeding oil to a nearby oil refinery and started delivering goods from oil refinery to the station near the steel mill, as I had a crazy rail network from that refinery to all the cities.

At first I was disappointed and thought that it will not work, but in time, the oil refinery started producing and was delivering nice amounts of goods into the steel mill station.

But yeah, it was slow progress. That is a problem with train fever, every change in the cargo market has a sloooooooooooow progress. So it is not very flexible, but in time, even distribution centers work. Of course, you need to calculate with the time limit and have this setup when you got fast trains.

vinkandoi
    Participant

@assko227

U were lucky.

i waited for 7 game years but the production was 0.

i had similar problem in the past. I was trying to deliver oil to oil refinary. But the oil wells was not producing only because the oil refinary was receiving oil by walking from another oil wells.

The cargo system is flawed

assko277
    Participant

🙂 it is not flawed, although it could be better. But it works as intended. If your refinery does not pull cargo from the mine from which you are delivering, it means your transportation is wrong.

The time is of the essence here, if your transportation is not able to deliver the cargo in the fastest way, then it will prefer the walking route. And if I say the transportation time, you need to consider all the waiting times on stations, walking time to station and from the station.

I am only sad about the growth rate of the production, even if there is a demand, the factories and mines grow only by 1 unit per month. Which is ok when playing from scratch. But when you try to add new refinery to help with delivering goods of a fully topped up refinery, it is painfully slow to catch up a demand of 400+ units.

But there is one actual flaw. And that is the steel mill production chain. Oil and wood are 1 source unit to 1 goods unit. But steel mill is 2 source units to 1 target unit. Which makes it more profitable to run only steel chains as you have double profit from the 2 lines to feed the steel mill, than you would have from one line you feed oil and wood chains. So if I use oil and wood, it is mostly because I want, not because it is best.

Lowell
    Participant

Are you guys talking about a Cargo or Industry Mod, because there is no oil and wood going to make steel in the base game.

IKBrunel
    Participant

Seems to me that the system is based on ‘influence’ – the nearby town influences a manufacturing building to produce a certain amount of goods according to several variables ( ie distance, supply chain in place, delivery frequency, etc) then that facility influences the raw material supplier to start producing based of several other variables and the whole process has some kind of ‘telekinetic’ feel to it.

Why couldn’t it have just been like RT3!   –  Material in = goods out

gcampono
    Participant

Because this system is most realistic: factories produce if they can sell their goods. There are only two problems (20 minutes rule and slow increase of supply) that should be addressed (in addition to strange behaviours reported by some people when factories or cities are supplied by more suppliers).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.