Passenger vehicles really sync?

Home Forums General Discussion Passenger vehicles really sync?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    douglas
    Participant

I really dont see passenger trains/buses/trams sync in order to have a good distance between them. My trains are a huge mess.

I have a line with 6 towns, they clean the first 2 or 3 stations while the rest accumulate a bunch of passengers till they start leaving the station. Its like that for decades. They don’t increase the distance between them at all!

matrix
    Participant

yeah, this is one of the biggest problems for me in the game. and it should work for cargo as well, I think. otherwise you either lose cargo because of station capacity limit (not waiting for full load), or frequency declines and production goes down.

Wowi
    Participant

Based on the GUI you’d assume they sync, but no. It really should be in the game, as it’s vital in order to make a good passenger route.

douglas
    Participant

Not only the GUI but announcement of the devs.

I won’t make circle lines anymore. In order to have a reliable passenger service, I will have to make 1 to 1 city only. This way I can easily control distance of trains with signals.

And inside city transport, forget about it. Its like CiM 1. I won’t sync buses manually. Its too much.

Mykel Razi
    Participant

I notice that my buses and trams tend to sync up but I have never noticed the trains do so.

omoikane
    Participant

Truck/bus/tram sync is really good but train is not, because loading and unloading passengers are awfully slow. So first train always have long long time to sit inside station.

That’s why I suspect train sync is bad. loading passengers/cargo from train doesn’t care how many doors/cars attached on that train and every train have same loading/unloading speed. Thus make trains with lots of cars (around/over 200) with full of passengers have even consume more time on station (by loading and unloading) than driving on the rail, and that’s very unrealistic

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by omoikane.
    Yeol
    Participant

I don’t see it as a real problem, but I have to agree that I don’t see an even spread of trains on one line. Buses and trams tend to spread out better, as long as one uses the same type of bus/tram over the entire line. So, I think it is important to have exactly the same train compositions for all trains on the same line. If one train is a little slower (more cars… slower pulling… longer loading times), trains seem to join up in one after the other. But again, it’s not a real problem technically or finacially, but annoying to see it happen. 😉

BFalcon
    Participant

One way they could do this would be to add a “Half Load” (and possibly “25% Load” and “75% Load”) option(s) so that your buses don’t all hurtle off to the next town with 0 passengers on board, but wait for full loads (or whatever you decide is an appropriate amount). I suggest this as one possible solution, since it would be easiest to implement and might also solve some of the cargo issues we’re seeing (namely vehicles running empty since Full is holding them too long for the industries to grow).

Yemo
    Participant

The devs stated, that they took other transport games as inspiration.

How the f*ck can you not learn from the worst mistakes of your inspirational games?

It is so simple. Speed based on loads screws up the interval between vehicles. That includes loading speed and thus stop duration based on load, acceleration based on load and top speed based on load.

You cant argue that a feature is realistic if the environment/other interdependent factors are not, like keeping a schedule.

Thats not even early access, thats a design flaw of transportation games since at least 20 years ago. Unbelievable.

Freak_NL
    Participant

I’m seeing the same behaviour omoikane, Yeol, and Mykel Razi observe. Buses and trams work like a charm; as long as you use one type of vehicle on a single line, they will spread out fairly evenly, even when part of the line runs through busy streets shared with other lines. Really nice!

Trains don’t seem to spread out reliably. I’ve had a line connecting three towns (two termini and one station in the middle) with various trains from the 1890s to the year 2000 — but always the same trains at any one period — usually with three trains on the line, but they would invariably bunch up.

The lack of platform selection sometimes caused them to wait for trains from other lines using the same platform, so that may have been an attributing factor as well, but by means of test I have removed all switches from this line except for those before the termini, forcing the whole line on dedicated tracks and platforms, and stopped one train to let the other two catch up to it, then started all three (all TFVs) and let the game run for ten years. They spread out a little, but they still followed each other much too closely.

douglas
    Participant

I think its a huge problem Yeol. Financially as well, because you are losing passengers. If you don’t pick up passenger in time they leave the station. You can’t see their angry faces but they are very angry. Just because TF citizens are all very well behaved North Koreans, very well organized in their way to stand on the station, doesn’t mean they don’t get feed up.

Without a proper way to sync the trains (perhaps with use of signals – but that will decrease the amount of trains you can setup in a line) the best way is to make 1 to 1 lines only.

– 1 to 1 lines only will increase travel time from one town to another, decreasing number of passengers.

– Signals to sync trains will decrease amount of trains you can setup in one route, decreasing frequency thus decreasing amount of passengers.

Mykel Razi
    Participant

Block signaling helps considerably,  and done right results in a decent space between trains.

omoikane
    Participant

North Koreans lol

BFalcon
    Participant

Douglas: I remember thinking: “You can tell the game was made by Germans… look how neatly they wait! If this game was British, there’d practically be a rugby scrum outside those bus doors by now…” 🙂

People think us Brits are so good at queuing… they’ve obviously never seen the school run… 😀

Varana
    Participant

And you’ve obviously never seen a horde of German children trying to fight their way into a school bus and get a seat. 😀

Train Feverese people can’t be German, either. If they were, they would complain much more about the horrible public transport when now and then, a train is five minutes late. 😀

As for the clichés:

I think North Korean is a safe bet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.