Performance improvement suggestion: Routes

Home Forums Support Performance improvement suggestion: Routes

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    The RedKing
    Participant

It seems that the recalculation of all routes event is triggered on every change the user makes to the infrastructure. Later in the game, when you have a lot of routes, this causes quite some lag.

Here’s what I suggest:

• When a user changes the infrastructure, the “recalculate routes” flagg is set to TRUE.
    • After a set interval, this causes the recalculation of all routes.
    • This interval should not be very high (like 2 seconds), but can be higher if the game is in pause.
    • The interval should reset if the user makes another change to the infrastructure, withing this timeperiod.

This way, upgrading streets and tracks will go much smoother. Now the game ‘hangs’ for a second or 2 on every section created/deleted or upgraded.

I’ts quite handy sometimes to see the route change immediately on making an adjustment to the infrastructure, but waiting 2 seconds for this when you deliberately try to optimize a route seems far less problematic that waiting on every change you make.

brunna
    Participant

This problem causes my unplayable game… I play in a big map with 30-40 train lines and I have to wait about 2 minute (NOT SECONDS) when I want to change the railway infrastructure and I can’t build a new railway within two hours… But I have a powerful pc…
    I don’t have truck or bus lines and I can build streets very fast…

When I had deleted all of rail lines after I can built the railway really fast despite the fact that I built the 80% of the big map…

(Sorry for my English)

thief
    Participant

Another problem with (tram) routes that i have: ( havent tested with busses, and only with the small on street stations)

if i put up my incity lines with high tram density, it happens that the lines at certain stations do a loop by using parallel streets.

i then have to remove a few stations,  reasign them, then the loop is gone. BUT then the loop may happen somewhere else on the track… so i have to check the same track over and over!

additionally it happens that a tram that should run station a-b-c, turns after station b for 180 degrees, runs in the station b, then turns again after station b for 180 degrees to run then to station c.

same game as with loops, remove the station, re-add it, problem solved.

both of this issues can happen on the same route, moving forth and back while i fix one end..

adding a new track or changing an existing one does mess up other existing tracks again.. so i spend hours trying to straight out my lines..

its pure pain.

please add a button to hardnail lines on the roads as they are now, for ever!

The RedKing
    Participant

The performance issue regarding changing the infrastructure seems to have been addressed. It’s not perfect yet, but much, much better. So I’d like to thank the dev-team for this.

Regarding the issue thief mentioned, I experience this as well. I noticed that (only?) trams sometimes make a loop at a stop for no apparent reason. A stop is located on both sides of the road, and they are grouped. But still the tram seems to prefer the stop on the left-side of the road.

I sometimes just remove the left-side stops to prevent this. But this is not always desirable if you have a 2nd line running the other way passing the same stop.

The turning trams may cause gridlocks and drop the freq. of the line dramatically.

Adding the possibility to “pin the route” would indeed be nice but perhaps this is solved by the way-point system.

I do not think this will solve the turning of the trams, as the shown route does not indicate any turning, but seems to run smoothly from A to B to C. Still the tram loops at B. I suspect an issue with the grouping of the stops. Or perhaps we don’t understand this concept well enough?

FX2K
    Participant

I suspect an issue with the grouping of the stops. Or perhaps we don’t understand this concept well enough?

It can be an issue with grouping, changing a line attached to a grouped stop will recalculate all lines which go through any of the stops in the group.  Try un-grouping the stop’s in question.

Hopefully way points will solve it, its still a hassle, especially with 5 track train stations, which of course, you can’t un-group

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by FX2K.
    thief
    Participant

“I sometimes just remove the left-side stops to prevent this. But this is not always desirable if you have a 2nd line running the other way passing the same stop.”

my problem with that solution is that i may have 4 or more tramlines going trough that grouped stop, so ungrouping does hurt aswell..

“The turning trams may cause gridlocks and drop the freq. of the line dramatically.”

thats how i found out about that issue.. had a line in years, that i switched due to age, so i let all new trams go at once.. then at a stop,  the trams did the 180 degrees turn, and after the 4 tram i had a complet lock..

maybe i woulndt even have noticed it, if it would not have been my major route to the trainstop, so after a while, all trams from that city where stuck there..  took me a good while to just unlock anything, and figure out at all, what the reason was..

since then, i do random checks of routes, and if i find a screwed one, ill check all routes of that city, till i cant find any loops/ turns anymore… takes ages, and happens every now and then again.

thief
    Participant

started a new game, medium..

wanted to be sure that all lines are done right.. took me 1,5h in for the first city, then i rage quite…

The RedKing
    Participant

I’ve un-grouped all stops in my tram-lines: problem solved!

But again, this is a work-around. Hope it get’s fixed somehow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.